Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
fake snake on 05/02/2014 14:36:31 MDT Print View

that snake was raised in captivity, so its behavior has no relation to wild snake behavior.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Professional Herpetologists wanted to test a snake myth on 05/02/2014 14:57:24 MDT Print View

No, not you. That weird guy with herpes, not you.

I'm hoping to get feedback from wild snake wranglers, forest rangers, reptile Pet Shop Boys and animal veterinarians, to post videos they may have of this phenomenon.

We have a good membership from Texas, Arizona and from Arizona by the sea (aka Australia) All you desert dwellers, get your phone cameras out, grab a rope and the anti-venom serum.

If you do not post - I'll assume I was right, because you died from a venomous snake bite and couldn't upload your findings.

Edited by RogerDodger on 05/03/2014 14:24:09 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Rattlesnakes on 05/02/2014 18:43:28 MDT Print View

Many years ago when I was in military training in Louisiana, we would be on training maneuvers in the woods in snake country. Since it was too warm and humid to use sleeping bags, we would sleep on our ponchos on the flat ground. We would spray insect repellent on the ground just outside the poncho, and that was intended to repell the snakes as well. It seemed to work, although we will never know...

--B.G.--

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Re: Rattlesnakes on 05/02/2014 19:09:40 MDT Print View

Roger,
As a 10-year Arizonan who has been "buzzed" by rattlesnakes WAY more times than my little heart can take, I think the rope thing is an old wive's tale. Rattlesnakes can, and will, wind their way up tree branches during spring bird egg season (imagine how freaky it feels to have one rattling at you from the branches of an oak tree!), and I see no reason why they would hesitate to cross a rope on the ground. I've seen them cross wires on the ground...

They are pit vipers; the pits on their faces sense heat. Unless they're scared and angry, you can put something without heat (like a broom) in front of them, and they don't strike at it (they usually just move away from it). Again, unless they feel threatened or angry, they won't strike at something huge, like a human, because they know they can't eat it, and it'll use up their venom supply with no food reward.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection on 05/02/2014 20:34:22 MDT Print View

According to this site :
http://www.austinreptileservice.net/snakemyths.html :
Snakes crawl around on the ground all day, they crawl through cacti and over rocks. A simple rope is not going to faze them.

As for the horse hair bit, snakes do bite horses* so not sure why that would work.
*Here in Australia anyway...

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection on 05/02/2014 21:43:23 MDT Print View

All these old wives' tales of methods of warding off crawling things reminds me of the joke about the man who was seen standing on the corner, snapping his fingers.

When asked why he did it, he replied "It keeps the elephants away.".

When told there were no elephants in this country, he replied, "Works good, don't it?".

Just because you haven't been bothered by crawling things does not mean your method of protection works; you may simply have not encountered your target pest.

Edited by wandering_bob on 05/02/2014 21:45:30 MDT.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection on 05/03/2014 14:37:43 MDT Print View

Somebody please submit this to the myth busters show. I'm too much of wuss to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. The semi credible online resources say the myth is busted.

I don't care about the shy snake that stays away. I worry about the hungry angry inbred dumb snake baking in the sun that makes the paranoid instinct decision to strike.

Edited by RogerDodger on 05/03/2014 14:39:26 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Safety of sleeping on the ground with no critter protection on 05/13/2014 22:21:09 MDT Print View

I've been sleeping on the ground without a shelter for close to 50 years. Nothing bad has happened yet.