waterfi a Kindle
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
waterfi a Kindle on 12/22/2013 18:57:09 MST Print View

Does anyone have any experience with a Kindle paperwhite that has had the waterfi treatment?

http://waterfi.com/

The fact that you don't need to deal with illuminating the screen with a flashlight and glare from that, combined with the waterproofness while packrafting, etc. appeals to me. It seems from the ads to add some resistance to dust/sand/food particulates, too.

The weight penalty is reportedly only 1 and 1/8 ounces. Lighter than the plastic case covers.

steven franchuk
(Surf) - M
Re: waterfi a Kindle on 12/22/2013 22:18:40 MST Print View

I haven't used this product. However the Kindle is charged through a USB connector. The connector itself must not be coated otherwise the wires would not conduct electricity and the kindle wouldn't charge. Also water in contact with the us connector when it is charging would cause the wires to rapidly corrode.

I am very sceptical of claims on the web site.

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
response from waterfi on 01/11/2014 15:09:27 MST Print View

Hey Tim. Good questions. We've developed a special process to protect the port even after continual use. That will not affect the waterproofing. The Kindle comes with a full one year warranty, which covers pretty much everything you can imagine, except theft. If it somehow got damaged by water, we would replace the unit for you up to a year from the purchase date.

Matt

Marc Britten
(yugami) - F
nano on 01/12/2014 17:30:51 MST Print View

sounds like they use one of the newer nanoparticle coatings that have been hitting the market over the last year or so.