Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Newbie question...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steve Rowell
(slimhawg)
Newbie question... on 12/20/2013 08:08:56 MST Print View

Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone here has first hand experience with Backpacking Light courses and maybe some others (like Andrew Skurka's). I'm looking for an intro level course.

Thanks,
Steve

John Taylorson
(heyjt) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Newbie question... on 12/27/2013 23:56:23 MST Print View

Go on YouTube and search "ultralight backpacking." And it's free!

Shawn Bearden
(ShawnB) - F - MLife

Locale: SE Idaho
No responses? on 12/28/2013 09:04:17 MST Print View

Steve, I do not have first hand experience in these courses. I'm responding because I am so surprised that you haven't gotten any responses from anyone who has taken the courses. This makes me hypothesize that 1) anyone who has taken them is no longer actively engaged on this forum, 2) no body has anything they wish to post in an open forum (suggesting not enough good to say) or 3) some combination of the two.

I can at least share that I've had a fair bit of communication with Skurka and his wife (she runs much of the business side) as well as watching everything I can find of his on video and reading all of his blog posts. He is 'full on'. He is open-minded (not dogmatic) and practical. His knowledge is as good as any, his curriculum is packed, and he is 100% committed. He knows who he is and he shares it. It is my expectation that you would be happy taking an intro course from him.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
title too vague on 12/28/2013 16:43:03 MST Print View

Just a thought, titling the thread name with something like: Comparison of beginning backpacking courses? might net more responses. "Newbie question" is so generic, it could be anything, and won't search well either. Haven't taken any of the courses myself, but I dearly want to!