Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 13:46:20 MST Print View

I'm looking for an ultralight grill I can use with my emberlit wood stove.

Something without a massive amount of weight (obviously).

It would also be nice if I could use it to heat up tortillas and possibly make quesadillas...

I haven't been able to find anything decent to date.

I imagine I could just use a piece of aluminum foil under the tortilla along with the grill to prevent the tortillas from burning or catching on fire.

Thoughts?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 13:49:30 MST Print View

Paging Gary Dunckel !

Mister Titanium.

--B.G.--

Rishi Sugla
(rksugla)

Locale: Mid-Atlantic
Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 13:58:09 MST Print View

I'm not entirely sure about the feasibility of this, but you could probably buy 4 tiny carbon fiber tubes (or just use sticks) and then buy titanium mesh. If you can stick the four tubes into the ground, you can pre-drill holes on the sides sticking into the air, and attach the titanium mesh (perhaps with some type of cord?) and create a platform.

I can't say I've ever tried this (or if its what you're looking for) but it's probably the lightest set up if you're trying to bring a "grill" while backpacking. When you're done you could just roll up the mesh and stick it back into your pack.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 14:07:03 MST Print View

Kevin, check out QiWiz.net. Rob makes the FireFly stoves, and I make the Mini Grills to fit them (and also regular size grills and supports/tent stakes called Stix). People have bought a Mini Grill and a set of Stix to support it over an Emberlit.

If you have any questions about these products, feel free to send me a PM. If you have any questions about Esbit, GPS systems, or trekking in the Himalaya, contact B.G.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Dollar store on 12/17/2013 14:20:03 MST Print View

I picked up some cooling racks at the dollar store. Light and cheap.

Something like this (but lighter):

http://www.target.com/p/calphalon-kitchen-essentials-cooling-rack/-/A-10941577?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C10941577&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=10941577&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10941577&gclid=CNaLrMyXuLsCFTJp7Aod5TsAZw

I use it on a campfire using the rocks to hold it up.

Edited by Hitech on 12/17/2013 14:20:43 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 14:27:39 MST Print View

"If you have any questions about Esbit, GPS systems, or trekking in the Himalaya, contact B.G."

Gary is my booking agent.

--B.G.--

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Lawson Equipment on 12/17/2013 14:39:12 MST Print View

Check out Lawson equipment: http://lawsonequipment.com/Backpacking-Grills-c129/

They're all under $20 and free shipping over $10. All his stuff is made in the US and he makes the best cords/lines. Have no experience with the grill, but it's a good price.

Jens Aarnaes
(Finnmark) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Lightweight multi-use grill on 12/17/2013 15:40:31 MST Print View

I have many times used safety wire wrapped around a forked stick as a grill. This wire obviously has many other uses but as a grill it is great.Backpack grill

Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
nice options... on 12/17/2013 15:45:31 MST Print View

so it seems my options are pretty open:

http://qiwiz.net/StoveAccessories.html

http://www.target.com/p/calphalon-kitchen-essentials-cooling-rack/-/A-10941577?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C10941577&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=10941577&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=10941577&gclid=CNaLrMyXuLsCFTJp7Aod5TsAZw

http://lawsonequipment.com/Backpacking-Grills-c129/

... I'm thinking of making my own 'stove' by just cooking on the ground and using titanium foil as a wind screen. a 24" piece of foil weighs just 30g and has a diameter of 7" ... Though I admit that I might go a bit larger so I can have a real fire inside.

I need to look at my options here and figure out the right way to do this.

I suspect I can build a new setup for like a 40% weight savings which is much larger.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 15:58:56 MST Print View

Or This ,although I like Gary's grill.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 16:18:01 MST Print View

Now, in this holiday gift season, nothing warms the heart like a gift of titanium.

--B.G.--

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: Ultralight grill for fish, tortillas, sausages, etc. on 12/17/2013 16:28:23 MST Print View

purcell trench stream side packer grill or a ti packer grill. great product, great service

Edited by mrjones on 12/17/2013 16:29:27 MST.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
just for suagages on 12/17/2013 17:00:53 MST Print View

Of course, for sausages this is the fun way:

http://www.rollaroaster.com/

Christian Denniston
(cdenniston)
Dollar Store on 12/17/2013 18:32:49 MST Print View

+1 on the dollar store.

I have seen metal cooling racks at the dollar store that look like they would work great for some ultralight grilling. I haven't purchased up yet but maybe I will go out this week and report back. I'm not sure how long they would last but for only a dollar it is worth a try and I think they come in packs of three.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
+1 on the Purcell Grills on 12/17/2013 19:16:26 MST Print View

Purcell Grills are indestructible. I even regularly cook flat bread on on mine.

Derrick

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Lightweight multi-use grill on 12/17/2013 19:29:09 MST Print View

" This wire obviously has many other uses but as a grill it is great. "

Yes !
that is just SO the-way-to-do it.
i carry it anyway to hang the pot and other stuff. i'm stealing your idea.
Thank You.

cheers,
v.