Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Pittman
(pitsy) - M

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread. on 12/31/2013 21:38:14 MST Print View

I don't wear one, as my dumb-phone has a clock. When I did have a watch it did neat tricks like this.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread. on 12/31/2013 22:58:39 MST Print View

I usually refer to my "iWatch" because it's there.

iWatch

I have a bunch of dead and heavy watches in a drawer. This Timex Ironman is my trail watch with more than enough functions, waterproof, backlight, cheap, tolerates sweat and dirt. Beach hiking requires more time keeping and an alarm so you get up in time to coordinate with the tides.

Ironman Triathalon

I like that Seiko 5!

Edited by dwambaugh on 12/31/2013 23:02:01 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re:watch alternatives on 01/03/2014 21:52:11 MST Print View

This thread got me to thinking (always dangerous, or course) and looking at pedometers that have a clock function, the idea being to get something more for the weight than basic time keeping.

You can find them with all kinds of bells and whistles. The Oregon Scientific unit on the left will take your pulse too. I want one with a thermometer.

Weight wise, the watch is 1.0oz, the Oregon Scientific rig is 1.2oz, the Omron in the middle is 2.0oz as shown and the Sportline on the right is also 1.2oz.

Pedometers with Timex Ironman

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re:watch alternatives on 01/03/2014 21:59:31 MST Print View

Does anybody know of a good backpacker's alarm clock that is loud and still weighs less than an ounce?

I wear a wristwatch with an alarm mode, but when it is on my wrist inside a sleeping bag, I never hear it. I have a small alarm clock that weighs slightly over one ounce, and it is OK. I tie it onto my tarp's front pole, so the alarm sound will be within a foot of my ears.

Part of the problem is that in order for an alarm clock to have a loud sound, it often has to have a big power source, bigger than one AAA battery, and that will likely put it over the one ounce mark right there. Smaller alarm clocks get by with a "watch battery" to get a lighter weight, but the sound isn't normally so loud.

--B.G.--

Rick Adams
(rickadams100) - M
watch alarm on 01/03/2014 22:43:02 MST Print View

I've had reasonably good success with a 10 dollar watch with alarm placed near my head with flashlight and water bottle. I only use the watch for the alarm function as I only think about time in a very general sense during the day. I'd prefer a lightish alarm clock. What brand and or model are you using?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: alarm on 01/03/2014 23:21:00 MST Print View

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/equity-by-la-crosse-digital-pocket-alarm-clock-blue/6510759.p?id=1218751969994&skuId=6510759

This is identical to the old one that I use. It is about 3.5" long.

--B.G.--

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread on 01/13/2014 21:58:34 MST Print View

Its hot outside...
The official (in the shade) temperature is 43c but I thought of taking the temperature in the sun in my front yard.
At about 3:30PM having left there my watch,the mercury thermometer and my Kestrel, I found the Casio with a complete LCD bleed (the screen was all dark) the other two indicated max (over 50c) on one and 56c on the Kestrel.
Took the Casio inside, after about 2 minutes the screen went back to normal indicating 44.8 c.
So two lessons from this :
do not leave your Casio in the hot sun
If it looks stuffed maybe it isn't, just give it time.
I took this shot a bit later not letting the Casio get up to the correct temp.
55c is 131f
how hot is it ?

Ryan "Rudy" Oury
(ohdogg79)

Locale: East Bay - CA
no calculator watches??? on 01/15/2014 08:50:43 MST Print View

I'm sorely disappointed and utterly confused that nobody is using the classic Casio calculator watch?! SO sleek and stylish, allows you to calculate calorie usage or distance hiked (assuming you know how fast you're going) or base weight each time you finish a bottle of water, etc etc etc. Endless uses :)
casio watch

But seriously, here's my basic Timex Expedition. Real basic, just time and date for less than 2 oz and $20 or so. I think mine is actually the "women's" model since I'm fairly small, and don't like big watches so got the smaller version.
timex watch

I'd like to get a multi-finction one w/ altimeter/compass/thermometer/screwdriver at some point but not ready to drop much coin on a good one that's worth having. Love David Thompson's idea of the professional altimeter that can double as a sundial though... ingenious!
**edited for typo**

Edited by ohdogg79 on 01/15/2014 08:55:22 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: no calculator watches??? on 01/15/2014 09:09:37 MST Print View

@Ryan,
I had a king of the math nerds Casio Calculator, thought I would use it ALL the time. Turns out I prefer GearGrams.com, a full size keyboard and Excel instead.

William F
(wkf) - F

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re:watch alternatives on 01/26/2014 14:37:50 MST Print View

Hey Bob,

I got this little alarm clock a few weeks ago, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Equity-31571-Battery-Operated-Digital-Stick-On-Alarm-Clock-Timer-/261187998060?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I weighed it at home and it came out to 32.5 g with the battery and magnet on the back. So if I remove the magnet maybe a few grams less. I think they have it listed at 2 oz or something, and other sites will have other inaccurate weights posted. Notice it has a temperature readout on it. The alarm is loud in my opinion; certainly enough to wake me up in the woods. With all this said, it was cheap and I haven't tested it much in more extreme conditions… you usually get what you pay for.