Forum Index » GEAR » Let's see a picture of your WATCH thread.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: @Nick on 12/18/2013 20:30:08 MST Print View

Max,

Have you tried sending it to Victronix? I have never done that, but my "legacy" watch my dad gave me in 1969 ( Seiko) has been repaired by the factory.

Regarding a legacy watch from your father, have you considered one of the Oyster Perpetual models by Rolex?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: @Nick on 12/18/2013 20:41:55 MST Print View

Max,

Swapping a nearly dead watch for a chance to see one of the greatest rock bands of the past 10 years is never a bad idea.

Saw them at the Gorge, WA with Soundgarden.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Timex Indiglo on 12/18/2013 21:27:15 MST Print View

Apparently Nick and I have similar tastes in ugly Timex watches.

Viva la timex!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Timex Indiglo on 12/18/2013 21:51:27 MST Print View

I think the Timex Expedition is a great looking watch, classic face with HANDS, not digital gobble-gook. Light, rugged, durable, and accurate. I need to remove the band and soak it is water for a few days, since it has become brittle and stiff with sweat-salt. I am thinking about buying another exact model, as manufacturers always seem to discontinue good products.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Tried That, Nick on 12/19/2013 15:03:29 MST Print View

Nick,

This particular Victorinox was price-preventative to try and fix. With no "Legacy" program, I would be investing at least several hundred in finding a watchmaker to custom-make a new casing, or spend hours researching to find an identical casing fit (with no guarantee of success).

It was a nice watch when my dad got it, but by no means a "generational" timepiece, I think it had a lifespan on it if it's using a non-metal casing.

I wanted to stick to Victorinox because he's wearing a new stainless Victorinox now, and like-father-like-son sentimentality makes up the roots of our family. :)

Thomas Willard
(TomW)

Locale: Mystic, CT
Casio PAW on 12/22/2013 01:35:33 MST Print View

This is going to sound weird but I bought the Casio PAW and every time I wore it, my wrist would get tingly and numb (I don't have any hardware in my body). I ended up buying a compass/ thermometer combo for my pack and went back to my $15.00 Timex.

Kiel Senninger
(Kiel.S.) - F

Locale: San Diego
Usefulness of altimeter on 12/28/2013 16:30:06 MST Print View

This thread got me thinking about getting a new watch. For those of you with altimeters on yours, do you find it useful? There's been a few times I thought it might help navigation wise. But if it's not super accurate it might not be worth it.

Thanks!

Todd Taylor
(texasbb) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Usefulness of altimeter on 12/28/2013 16:47:31 MST Print View

"For those of you with altimeters on yours, do you find it useful? There's been a few times I thought it might help navigation wise. But if it's not super accurate it might not be worth it."

I got hooked on mine after a couple hours' hiking the first time. It does help with navigation, though you're right that it's not always as precise as you'd need for detailed work. But on a relaxed hike up/down a forest trail it's about all you need to figure out where you are and how far you have to go without having to watch very closely. And it can sometimes be handy in camp to warn you of changing weather.

I'd sooner give up the watch than the altimeter.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Casio PAW on 12/28/2013 17:52:20 MST Print View

> I bought the Casio PAW and every time I wore it, my wrist would get tingly and numb
When you walk with your arms hanging down, your hands tend to swell up a bit, as do your wrists. So what fitted when you were at home is now too tight. Just in case someone thinks I am talking (again) about feet/shoes, I will explain that I am now talking about a watchband around a wrist. It's now too tight, and that is putting pressure on the blood supply and nerves in your hand. Hence the tingles.

If you wear a watch like this in the snow you can get frostbite in the fingers of that hand. Get's really painful after a while.

I cut the huge and ridiculously bulky band off my watch/altimeter, and either carry it tied inside a pocket or on a cord around my neck. More often in my pocket as it fights with my compass when hanging around my neck.

And in case anyone asks, I reckon the compass in any digital watch is a heap of very unreliable 2-axis battery-munching crap. IMHO.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Casio PAW on 12/28/2013 18:18:26 MST Print View

"your hands tend to swell up a bit"

The standard recommendation here is that it happens to many backpackers. Sometimes you can alleviate it somewhat by adjusting shoulder straps. Symptoms may persist through the trip, but it should be easing off by 24 hours after the end of the trip.

--B.G.--

Thomas Willard
(TomW)

Tingly and Numb on 12/28/2013 20:44:19 MST Print View

I should clarify a little. I was getting these sensations sitting at home, on the couch or general day to day business. I wear my watch band loose as I do not like the snug feeling. The sensation would start at my wrist bone (where the watch touches) as if there was a strong magnetic wave going into my body. This feeling had nothing to do with swelling from the tightness of the band. Like I said...weird.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Tingly and Numb on 12/29/2013 00:49:56 MST Print View

Thomas,
Tingling in the wrist and fingertips without the obvious causes -> That is not normal, and could be a symptom of something very serious. My dad who is on a dozen medications, says he feels hand numbness when a heart attack is coming on.

Before we start dispensing medical advice, you should do more testing to narrow it down, and eliminate false positives.

You should keep a journal of each occurrence and talk it over with a doctor.

does it happen at the same place, but not other locations (at the keyboard?)
does it happen around around certain electronics? radio, TV, microwave oven?
does it happen when you are standing up or sitting down or walk?
do you feel dizziness, heartburn or indigestion along?
how about your hydration level?
especially salty meals prior?
Do you wear a ring on your finger?
I used to get tingly fingers when I packed heavy and didn't understand how the backpack belt shifted weight off my shoulders. Now my pack's waist belt is tight, and my shoulder straps are gently touching, but without pressure on my shoulder's blood circulation.

I do believe you, but it is unlikely that a wristwatch's electronic functions are the cause. Something could physically be restricting the blood flow.

david delabaere
(davidvcd) - M

Locale: Northern VA
casio bm-100wj on 12/29/2013 03:26:19 MST Print View

casio bm-100wjcasio bm-100wj

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Timex Indiglo on 12/29/2013 07:12:02 MST Print View

I just use one of the basic Timex ironmans. keep it strapped to my shoulder strap upside down so i can read it on the go.

watch

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Timex Indiglo on 12/29/2013 12:03:43 MST Print View

Oh yeah, forgot about this ol' clunker. Has served me well on the trail and in towns.

yeah

Yeah, maybe not. But if someone wants to send me this watch, let me know and I will PM my address.

Ryan

Thomas Willard
(TomW)

Watch on 12/29/2013 23:14:31 MST Print View

Roger-

It only happened when I would wear the watch (I don't wear watches all the time). I had a full work-up on my heart as part of a physical (stress test, labs, ECG, etc) which was after I stopped wearing the watch and my ticker is in great shape. My only conclusion is I am overly sensitive of the magnetic field in the watch. Not sure. I never felt that sensation before or after wearing it.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Watch on 12/29/2013 23:20:54 MST Print View

"My only conclusion is I am overly sensitive of the magnetic field in the watch."

I seriously doubt that one.

--B.G.--

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Watch (Reply to Thomas Willard) on 12/30/2013 01:24:45 MST Print View

If you strongly suspect the magnetic field, look into:

1) standing under a powerline for observation.

2) buy an EMF Electro Magnetic Field detector (range from $50 to $300)
You'll be surprised what you find. A hair blow dryer on high setting close to your head has the same potency as 10 microwave ovens 5 ft away...

3) poorman setup, carry a compass in your pocket, and when you feel the tingling check if the compass needle is misbehaving, you are about to be teleported into the alien space ship :)

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/30/2013 01:25:39 MST.

Thomas H
(PTH) - F
Re: Avocet on 12/31/2013 14:57:18 MST Print View

Regarding the Avocet They have a little brother now though:ws4 timex Timex WS4

Its biig but have not found anything that compares

Edited by PTH on 12/31/2013 14:58:11 MST.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
Watches... on 12/31/2013 20:50:08 MST Print View

I stopped wearing one since cell phones were invented. My iphone 5s sure is a multi-purpose tool on and off the trail....