Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Trying to decide on size of Cuben tie out reinforcements

Display Avatars Sort By:
James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Locale: Montana
Trying to decide on size of Cuben tie out reinforcements on 12/14/2013 07:55:07 MST Print View

I am hoping to bond all the tie outs to the tarp I am working on today. It is a 5X7X9 cat cut tarp made out of .51 cuben. I am having trouble deciding on what size reinforcement. On my hexamid they are about 3" if you measure up the leg of the triangle. Some people seem to use much larger. I was thinking 4"-5" would probably be a good size but I can not make a decision. I will be using 1.43 oz cuben for the reinforcements.

Would someone with some field experience mind weighing in on what a good size will be?

Thanks again.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Trying to decide on size of Cuben tie out reinforcements on 12/14/2013 09:17:42 MST Print View

Hi James,
Search for "testing cuben fiber tieouts" in google. This should give you a good starting point and an idea on strength.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

RE: Steven on 12/14/2013 11:27:11 MST Print View

Steven,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did Search here and Google but am having trouble finding sizes. I have looked through Suluk's test and he does mention a size but others don't seem to. I may just go with what he used so I can keep moving along.

Edited by zippymorocco on 12/14/2013 12:26:22 MST.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: RE: Stephen on 12/14/2013 11:35:29 MST Print View

James,

Just to clarify....Steven is Suluk.

James Reilly
(zippymorocco) - M

Oh I see on 12/14/2013 12:40:38 MST Print View

Oops! Sorry about that Steven. Your videos encouraged me to begin working with cuben. I made some stuff sacks back when Lawson was selling that yellow cuben.

I decided to go with the measurements you were using in those tests with the addition of a rounded base.

thanks,