Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Burton
(burtonator) - F

Locale: norcal
Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 13:58:35 MST Print View

Has anyone created a one pager to explain ultralight backpacking?

I OFTEN meet people with insane 65 lb packs...

Usually when I'm flying past them...

It would be nice to have a flier we could give them so that when they get pack to civilization they could easily go over their gear and upgrade it.

It would also have URLs for various companies that sell gear as well as this website.

Any graphics designers out there?

If it's a good idea I think we could all collaborate on what should go in the handout.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 14:22:50 MST Print View

you want to give them another 7g to carry out? Just tell them to google backpacking light when they get home. If they ask. They could be perfectly happy with their current setup.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 14:30:01 MST Print View

"They could be perfectly happy with their current setup."

+1

If someone tried to hand me a flier to 'school' me on a 'better' way to backpack, I'd consider it a bit rude and a tad obnoxious. I'd probably offer them some helpful guidance in return, on pounding sand in unusual places....

If they ask, as Sharon said, that's a whole 'nuther animal. Happy to chat/discuss and answer questions.

Edit to add: I think the idea of such a flier is a good one - but for meet up groups dedicated to lightweight backpacking and such. I don't think it's such a great idea on the trail.

Edited by idester on 12/13/2013 14:32:17 MST.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Well on 12/13/2013 14:39:59 MST Print View

Kevin, I do appreciate your willingness to help others, but this kind of reminds me of religious groups handing pamflets out ;-)

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 14:46:14 MST Print View

I would only hand them out if someone was genuinely interested in going light and asked you for information.

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Well on 12/13/2013 14:47:45 MST Print View

The only way to do this and not be a narf about it is passive advertising. Get the BPL URL embroidered on your pack or something.

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
Trade-Offs on 12/13/2013 15:41:11 MST Print View

I think it's a great idea, but after trimming all my nails and getting a haircut before hitting the trail to cut down on total weight carried, I'm not going to carry even one extra piece of paper with me. ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 15:52:11 MST Print View

I can't resist...

Maybe we should mind our own business

Next, people are going to tell me I need to get rid of my full size SUV :(

Edited by ngatel on 12/13/2013 15:53:41 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 16:19:24 MST Print View

"I OFTEN meet people with insane 65 lb packs..."

I do, too, sometimes, on Eastern Sierra approaches like Shepherd Pass, Taboose Pass, etc. I love it because I know that when they get back to civilization they're going to spread the word that those are heinous routes best avoided by civilized folk. If I do happen to come across a backpacker carrying 65# on one of those trails and they have a smile on their face, the last thing I'm going to do is wave a piece of paper in their face. Us little guys can't afford that kind of misunderstanding. ;o]

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 16:19:46 MST Print View

Nick,

Just read your post on your blog, nice:-)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Infographic / flyer to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 16:39:12 MST Print View

Oh Kevin....

I'm with Peter, Nick and Tom, and everyone else who thinks that's a bad idea.

HOYH

MYOB

Great blog post Nick.

Edited by kthompson on 12/16/2013 21:11:25 MST.

Joseph Lynch
(rushfan) - M

Locale: Northern California
scouts on 12/13/2013 19:26:02 MST Print View

It's not bad to provide to boy scouts if you're involved with a troop. Otherwise, not sure the wisdom of bringing paper into the back country.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 19:49:39 MST Print View

Live by example and let he who is without extra grams throw the first stone :)

Edited by dwambaugh on 12/13/2013 19:50:29 MST.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 23:02:16 MST Print View

I've been trying to stop preaching lighter weight packing as I've been guilty of this in the past. I did just go on a hiking meet up beginner hike one of the gals had borrowed a twelve pound tent I had brought extra and loaned her a zoid 1 she was a trooper though and I'm sure she could have carried the twelve pounder but it sure would have bothered me to watch it

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/13/2013 23:20:01 MST Print View

My wife and daughter changed their tune after some tough passes at Mt. Rainier this summer. They came home begging for lighter kits.

Sometimes it takes some altitude to change some attitude!

I want credit when you quote that :)

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/14/2013 07:38:27 MST Print View

Good one Dale.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Re: Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/14/2013 09:34:25 MST Print View

If they ask, I share. I tell them I have "hand outs" at home that I've shared with friends.
I offer my email address. 90% can't be bothered to find a pencil and piece of paper.
Of the 10% who have taken my email address, exactly Zero have followed up and asked for information.

I don't need no stinking flyer...

Edited by greg23 on 12/14/2013 09:37:10 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs. on 12/14/2013 09:37:04 MST Print View

Maybe we could organize a brass band and play at trailheads, passing out miniature copies of "Ultralight Backpackin' Tips" and singing "onward ultralight soldiers" and "will the tent pole be unbroken."

We could have necklaces of Spectra line with a tiny frameless pack cast in titanuim and take collections in a titanium pot--- cash only though; coins would be too heavy. The donators would be greeted with, "May Ray bless you." and a sip of Kool Aid.

The ones with heavy packs don't concern me; it's the ones with cotton sweats and flip flops and not a shred of essential gear--- too light!

Edited by dwambaugh on 12/14/2013 10:01:30 MST.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re:"Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs." on 12/14/2013 10:58:52 MST Print View

"Live by example", that's been my experience with the folks I hike with that seem to carry too much. Over the past 3 years I've noticed many of them lightening up without my preaching.

@Dale, love your last post ;-)

Edited by leighb on 12/14/2013 11:00:38 MST.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: re:"Infographic / flier to hand out to newbies to help lighten their packs." on 12/14/2013 11:02:50 MST Print View

The more people with light packs, the more crowded it will be in the deep country.

Let em be heavy.