Forum Index » Chaff » Holiday angst

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Holiday angst on 12/12/2013 07:59:49 MST Print View

A little background on this company:

My coworker and her husband invested into Liberty Bottleworks a few years back and was kind enough to hook me up with a tour of the plant. I have nothing invested with them other than I'm a fan of this company whose product is 100% American made including the machinery.

Apparently this is going viral and I'm not surprised at the co founder's response:

http://www.keprtv.com/news/local/Company-co-founder-responds-to-customer-complaint-on-Facebook-235465391.html

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Holiday angst on 12/12/2013 18:50:51 MST Print View

It's not just the holidays...

Sometimes, I wonder if people who decry "slave labor" in China (think Foxconn and employee suicides) are the same ones who clamor to have the latest iPhone -- like right now?? And we read about Amazon looking into drones to cut down on delivery time? Pretty amazing.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Holiday angst on 12/13/2013 08:58:51 MST Print View

The nice thing about buying from cottage industry folks, like when I bought my Hexamid Twin, is that it teaches you to be patient and that some things are worth waiting for. I probably created too may rabbit trails for this post to go down when I mentioned that they are 100% American but I thought it was worth mentioning.

As someone who has worked retail and waited tables in college, I empathize with the company in this instance and applaud the COO for backing up his employees. It's unfortunate that people naturally assume since they are paying money, that gives them license to berate the service provider/widget salesman.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/13/2013 08:59:22 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Holiday angst on 12/13/2013 09:24:24 MST Print View

I think it's good to not buy from China because they have a huge trade imbalance with us. Yet, I do buy stuff from China because it's so cheap - call me a hypocrite : )

Customers sometimes think they have the right to be obnoxious. I appreciate any business owner.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Holiday angst on 12/13/2013 09:45:09 MST Print View

"Yet, I do buy stuff from China because it's so cheap - call me a hypocrite : )"

It's almost unavoidable. The quality from China is all over the map. There are very few UL sleeping bags which will work for me but so far my Montbell ULSS#3 fits the best and its quality is excellent(so far).

Funny enough, the year my Tundra was assembled, more of that truck (~78%)was sourced and assembled here in the U.S. than any of the big three.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Angst on 12/13/2013 11:44:25 MST Print View

Face it, us being a rich consumer nation for 3 going on 4 generations now -- plus all that tantalizing 'instant access' technology -- we're all spoiled to greater or lesser degrees. And we know that being spoiled doesn't mean being happier because we've got more and faster than others -- being spoiled simply raises our expectations -- and we pout more when our high expectations aren't met. Like the woman in question who called for services on a weekend -- and left progressively angrier and nastier messages. Wouldn't be surprised if that same woman would selflessly lend a hand if she saw you or me in need of help while on the trail...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Angst on 12/13/2013 12:29:14 MST Print View

"Wouldn't be surprised if that same woman would selflessly lend a hand if she saw you or me in need of help while on the trail..."

I'll take that even further to assume that she drives the speed limit, has the best yard in Mayberry, bakes a mean rhubarb pie every year for the PTA bake sale, and never wears white after labor day.

I don't disagree that with instant access to information, our expectations have been perverted but the issue at hand is the treatment of those who are at our mercy. If you and I disagree, we can thumb our noses at each other because at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter since we don't rely on each other to make a living.

Again, as someone who previously worked retail and waited tables, I fully understand and appreciate the level of self-restraint required to not tell someone like this to XXXX off (beat you to it Roger). It's bad behavior, people behaved like this long before the information age, and the invention of the iPhone doesn't excuse it.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/13/2013 12:34:04 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Angst on 12/13/2013 12:57:17 MST Print View

Ian:

We are in agreement. I was merely pointing out how our national affluence, our technology, etc. all served to elevate our expectations. Just calling it like it is -- not excusing our behavior at all.

I also think this is one reason why so many of us in the 'First World' find it so refreshing (and enjoyable) to visit some of the "poor third world" countries like Laos or Myanmar -- to see people interacting with each other with deference, grace -- and patience.

Edited by ben2world on 12/13/2013 13:00:52 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Angst on 12/13/2013 15:02:57 MST Print View

"to see people interacting with each other with deference, grace -- and patience."

Cambodia is the same way. I found the people to be very polite and gentle to a point that even after visiting S21, the Killing Fields, and interviewing a couple survivors/soldiers, it's difficult for me to connect these people with the genocide.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Holiday angst on 12/13/2013 16:56:03 MST Print View

I manage a customer service call center for a mortgage company. We have about 20 agents. Most people that we deal with are well behaved, but there are quite a few who are absolutely brutal to talk to. I always chalked it up to the same phenomenon that happens on internet forums. When the person you are communicating with is hundreds of miles away, most folks are much more apt to be rude and say things they wouldn't if face-to-face. It's just human nature, but it's still a shame that people are that way. Kudos to the COO for getting his point across in a respectful manner.

Ryan