Forum Index » GEAR » Best choice among the UL down jackets?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Best choice among the UL hooded down jackets? on 12/12/2013 21:59:43 MST Print View

Derek,

Where are you located in the PNW? Send me a PM.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Bitterroot? on 12/12/2013 23:03:58 MST Print View

Is the $170 (today's sale) Golite Bitterroot not an option?

Edited by Bolster on 12/12/2013 23:08:52 MST.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
I have the Stoic(Backcountry) Hadron Hoody on 04/14/2014 11:34:45 MDT Print View

I have the Hadron Hoody.

First good thing was the price, $75 on close-out.
Next, the weight is very competitive, even regardless of price
For me, the long sleeves, cuffs and slim cut are a great fit, as I have very long arms and am very slim.

The hood is a personal thing, but if you have a quilt, it almost becomes a requirement.

For me the pull-over is inconvenient to use, but that is offset by not having a draft tube get caught in the zipper. It does make the jacket far less flexible in temperature range though, since you can't open the front nor the sleeves.

I have used the Hadron over a baselayer shirt in temps around freezing in camp and been fairly comfy, if it was windy I covered it with a windshirt.

I have used it at temps around 20F/-7C with a baselayer, thin midlayer and windshell and fairly ok as long as I kept moving around camp a bit.

For backpacking

John Holmes
(pastyj) - F

Locale: North Central Florida
Re: Best choice among the UL hooded down jackets? on 04/14/2014 13:13:44 MDT Print View

+1 Montbell UL Parka

If the fit suits you, this is one fine bit of kit. It is a great mid-layer component, and as a foundational element in my layering system, it has taken me well below freezing while in camp.

J Mag
(GoProGator) - F
Uniqlooooooooooo on 04/14/2014 15:05:27 MDT Print View

No love for the Uniqlo down parka?

$50 for a size large that is under 10 oz... I love mine and it has made a perfect shoulder season jacket for here in VA. Fits great on me (just a bit snug, easy to get a wind or rain jacket over it).

Certainly not a jacket to be worn over a single shirt in the 20's, but fills about just about every other need including being very comfy to sleep in due to the nice fit and no cord locks.

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
I ordered-up a custom one. on 04/14/2014 20:20:29 MDT Print View

I was going through the same exercise. I wish I was planning a thru-hike but that isn't in the cards until I retire. I am hiking the Wonderland this fall.

I went down to the Feathered Friends store and loved the way the Daybreak Hoodie fit. I prefer snug because it is a layering piece + sleep system extender. The only thing I didn't like about the FF unit was I would like more down (about 4.5oz)to extend it's warmth range.

I ended up ordering a custom made jacket from Goosefeet Gear. I don't have it yet so the jury is out but I'm hopeful it will be my "perfect" puffy.

Mine will be:

* 4.5oz. of 850 fill DWR treated down
* Single zipper with backer so that it doesn't snag.
* No zippers on the hand-warmer pockets... just elastic.
* Simple sewn thru design using Pertex Quantum GL 10d fabric on inside/out.

This is the same material ZPacks using in their sleeping bags so it isn't for bush whacking. For me, it is camp/sleep gear and the compression/weight was more important.

I'm expecting it will come in < 11 ounces but we shall see. Price was what I consider reasonable for a one-off custom piece at $240 shipped.

Edited by kevperro on 04/14/2014 20:21:26 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Uniqlooooooooooo on 04/14/2014 20:44:17 MDT Print View

I'll second (third?) the Uniqlo jacket. I don't doubt that the other brands have their merits, but it's hard to imagine that they're worth 3x or even 2x the price.

I'll also reiterate the advice to size down. I wear a medium in nearly everything, but a small Uniqlo puffy fit me better. Their customer service was great though, I ordered a medium at first and they paid for the whole exchange, including return shipping.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Re: Best choice among the UL hooded down jackets? on 04/14/2014 20:59:45 MDT Print View

I have, and love, the Montbell UL, but I would suggest you move up a few ounces to the Montbell Alpine light. I have that one too, and find that it is a lot warmer for chilly nights than the UL. The UL is fine if it isn't very cool or you are moving around; once it's down into the 30's I'm wearing the Alpine Light.