Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best choice among the UL down jackets?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Best choice among the UL hooded down jackets? on 12/12/2013 21:59:43 MST Print View

Derek,

Where are you located in the PNW? Send me a PM.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Bitterroot? on 12/12/2013 23:03:58 MST Print View

Is the $170 (today's sale) Golite Bitterroot not an option?

Edited by Bolster on 12/12/2013 23:08:52 MST.

Tjaard Breeuwer
(Tjaard) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota, USA
I have the Stoic(Backcountry) Hadron Hoody on 04/14/2014 11:34:45 MDT Print View

I have the Hadron Hoody.

First good thing was the price, $75 on close-out.
Next, the weight is very competitive, even regardless of price
For me, the long sleeves, cuffs and slim cut are a great fit, as I have very long arms and am very slim.

The hood is a personal thing, but if you have a quilt, it almost becomes a requirement.

For me the pull-over is inconvenient to use, but that is offset by not having a draft tube get caught in the zipper. It does make the jacket far less flexible in temperature range though, since you can't open the front nor the sleeves.

I have used the Hadron over a baselayer shirt in temps around freezing in camp and been fairly comfy, if it was windy I covered it with a windshirt.

I have used it at temps around 20F/-7C with a baselayer, thin midlayer and windshell and fairly ok as long as I kept moving around camp a bit.

For backpacking

John H
(pastyj) - F

Locale: SE US
Re: Best choice among the UL hooded down jackets? on 04/14/2014 13:13:44 MDT Print View

+1 Montbell UL Parka

If the fit suits you, this is one fine bit of kit. It is a great mid-layer component, and as a foundational element in my layering system, it has taken me well below freezing while in camp.

J Mag
(GoProGator)
Uniqlooooooooooo on 04/14/2014 15:05:27 MDT Print View

No love for the Uniqlo down parka?

$50 for a size large that is under 10 oz... I love mine and it has made a perfect shoulder season jacket for here in VA. Fits great on me (just a bit snug, easy to get a wind or rain jacket over it).

Certainly not a jacket to be worn over a single shirt in the 20's, but fills about just about every other need including being very comfy to sleep in due to the nice fit and no cord locks.

Kevin Haskins
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
I ordered-up a custom one. on 04/14/2014 20:20:29 MDT Print View

I was going through the same exercise. I wish I was planning a thru-hike but that isn't in the cards until I retire. I am hiking the Wonderland this fall.

I went down to the Feathered Friends store and loved the way the Daybreak Hoodie fit. I prefer snug because it is a layering piece + sleep system extender. The only thing I didn't like about the FF unit was I would like more down (about 4.5oz)to extend it's warmth range.

I ended up ordering a custom made jacket from Goosefeet Gear. I don't have it yet so the jury is out but I'm hopeful it will be my "perfect" puffy.

Mine will be:

* 4.5oz. of 850 fill DWR treated down
* Single zipper with backer so that it doesn't snag.
* No zippers on the hand-warmer pockets... just elastic.
* Simple sewn thru design using Pertex Quantum GL 10d fabric on inside/out.

This is the same material ZPacks using in their sleeping bags so it isn't for bush whacking. For me, it is camp/sleep gear and the compression/weight was more important.

I'm expecting it will come in < 11 ounces but we shall see. Price was what I consider reasonable for a one-off custom piece at $240 shipped.

Edited by kevperro on 04/14/2014 20:21:26 MDT.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Uniqlooooooooooo on 04/14/2014 20:44:17 MDT Print View

I'll second (third?) the Uniqlo jacket. I don't doubt that the other brands have their merits, but it's hard to imagine that they're worth 3x or even 2x the price.

I'll also reiterate the advice to size down. I wear a medium in nearly everything, but a small Uniqlo puffy fit me better. Their customer service was great though, I ordered a medium at first and they paid for the whole exchange, including return shipping.

Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Re: Best choice among the UL hooded down jackets? on 04/14/2014 20:59:45 MDT Print View

I have, and love, the Montbell UL, but I would suggest you move up a few ounces to the Montbell Alpine light. I have that one too, and find that it is a lot warmer for chilly nights than the UL. The UL is fine if it isn't very cool or you are moving around; once it's down into the 30's I'm wearing the Alpine Light.