Best DURABLE glove?
Display Avatars Sort By:
just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: kevlar gloves on 12/12/2013 17:41:42 MST Print View

Kevlar fabric gloves?

I mention these because i've recently been experimenting with using 100% kevlar sleeves with thumbhole as off/on arm insulation and so far, i really like them.

The sleeves i have are double knitted (two layers), and they are super warm, and obviously very tough.

Kevlar has a weakness though, UV degradation . But i'm assuming where you live/hike, at this time of year, UV is probably pretty weak and probably not much of a factor.

Not sure if they sell gloves like the sleeves, but if they did, might be worth a try if they are not expensive. The sleeves i bought were i think 9 dollars each off Amazon.

Btw, what kind of gloves are you currently using?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Leather on 12/12/2013 19:31:35 MST Print View

Leather gloves are awesome, but they kinda suck when wet and take forever to dry. Maybe not such a good choice for the pnw? In winter I always have at least one leather glove for messing around with the fire.
If i'm going to be doing a lot with my hands when its wet, like climbing rocks or pushing through brush I like synthetic work gloves. If I don't need to protect my hands much I'll go with the fingerless wool gloves, which have been very durable for me. Of course sometimes its way to cold for fingerless. I've been temped to try the ragg wool leather palm gloves but they are more pricy.

Edited by justin_baker on 12/12/2013 19:35:22 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: kevlar gloves on 12/12/2013 19:34:04 MST Print View

I have a couple pair of leather gloves which have Kevlar lining. Great for not getting cut by a knife and such but for back-40 use, I don't think that they'd be any better than a pair of regular leather gloves.

Are the sleeves you are using for biking/motorcycles?

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Best DURABLE glove? on 12/12/2013 19:50:21 MST Print View

I use a lot of these polyester string gloves.
http://www.toughweld.com/products/7588-string-knit-glove

buy em by the dozen. use inside a buckskin glove or other shell as a liner.
Use by themselves, works pretty well when wet.
Double them up in the cold as they are stretchy.
They make okay sun gloves on glaciers.

Avoid any that have cotton in the blend.

Being white, they do show dirt, but at less than $2 a pair you can change oil in them and discard them when you are done.
I sprinkle pairs around, the cars etc.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
BIG selection of gloves on 12/12/2013 20:01:11 MST Print View

CABELA'S has a very big selection of gloves.

Personally I like GTX shells that can accept pile liners. Pile liners can be found even at K Mart or Wally Mart. Always take a spare set of liners.

OR also makes some very durable gloves.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: kevlar gloves on 12/12/2013 20:17:13 MST Print View

Hi Ian,

The sleeves i have are 100% Kevlar fabric. I originally picked them up for motorcycle riding, but they are sold for protective wear for like factory workers that come into contact with sharp stuff, people that work with high heat, etc.

I'm not talking about kevlar lined leather gloves, but 100% kevlar fabric (usually yellow colored).

I quickly checked amazon and yes there are several pairs of 100% kevlar gloves.

Two added benefits of kelvar besides the high tensile strength and abrasion resistance, also high heat resistance and because of the super low thermal conductivity, in the right weave or knit they are quite warm for the weight.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: kevlar gloves on 12/12/2013 21:15:49 MST Print View

"I quickly checked amazon and yes there are several pairs of 100% kevlar gloves. "

They seem to be inexpensive too so if they work out, there's a lot to love about them.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: kevlar gloves on 12/12/2013 21:34:15 MST Print View

Everything but the UV degradation. I suppose if you wanted to use them for serious outdoor use, then perhaps a thin over mitt or glove would be a good idea. I don't know what intensity of UV needs to take place for it to significantly break it down, but any kind of outer fabric or shell over same should effectively protect it from that problem.

The kevlar sleeves i use, are usually under my windshirt, so i'm not concerned at all about UV damaging the material.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic
leather gloves on 12/13/2013 14:17:24 MST Print View

I like leather glove shells too for durability and using around the fire. I buy the Wells-Lamont insulated gloves and cut out the liner. I'm currently using the pigskin model. I use military surplus wool liners so that I can remove for drying. They're going to be wet due to being leather, and that's why wool is the ideal liner for these. Have a second pair of liners, and keep one dry or drying.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Whichever leather glove you choose on 12/13/2013 15:36:41 MST Print View

Treat them with bees wax or some similar leather waterproofing compound. They'll last a lot longer and not get wet quite as quickly as untreated leather.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Whichever leather glove you choose on 12/13/2013 16:31:01 MST Print View

I'm thinking more of a light glove temps to a little below freezing. We had a week of temps in the mid-20's F and my light Seirus Hyperlight All Weather gloves were fine for basic insulation and wind protection. I have great shell gloves for wet weather, so leather isn't a deal killer.

Driving and trekking poles are the contributing factor to wear; runners and those who hike without poles can get by with anything they like. My gloves haven't failed, but after some very moderate use they are starting to pill on the fingers where there is no pleather reinforcement.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Best DURABLE glove? on 12/13/2013 16:40:00 MST Print View

Perhaps the Rab VR Tour glove? Or a Extremities Windstopper Guide Glove? And I know where you can get them cheap.....

Edited by idester on 12/13/2013 16:41:48 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
I like these... on 12/13/2013 16:50:26 MST Print View

http://www.safetysupplieszone.com/Radnor-Small-Gray-Latex-Palm-Coated-Gloves-WIth-13-Gauge-Seamless-Nylon-Knit-Liner_p_19855.html?gdftrk=gdfV23982_a_7c2021_a_7c8284_a_7c64056506&gclid=CMuc6emxrrsCFaTm7AodkxYANw

Ryan Bressler
(ryanbressler) - F
Leather gloves aren't particularly warm. on 12/13/2013 17:51:41 MST Print View

I get cold hands easily compared to some but I found that unlined leather gloves like those rabs or the work gloves would leave me with cold fingers after a day of ski touring in the cascades in near freezing conditions even with ample and regular snoseal application...durability is good and I've used them a ton for shorter biking and mixed climbing sessions and been happy (and worn out pairs of the work glove versions splitting wood etc). I'd need to size them to go over a liner and the skinny finger fit makes that hard.

For me wind pro or hardface fleece is a good middle ground for a light weight hiking glove as it adds some abrasion and water resistance to the fleece fabric but still insulates and breathes well. A wide spread grippy pattern like on the rab or eddie bauer windpro gloves have on the palm also adds some durability...my wife and I both have some several year old rab Hardface gloves (replaced by the windpro glove) that are going strong while powerstretch gloves form BD seem to fall apart rather quickly.

Kincos cold weather work/ski gloves are also super burly but much warmer. Great if you ski at an area with a rope toe.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Crag gloves on 12/15/2013 13:11:22 MST Print View

David wrote, "Those BD gloves are horrid. The velcro wrist closure is super stiff and chafes like mad."

Got them in the mail yesterday and I'm afraid David is right. And the stitching on hte wrist band was coming loose right out of the box. I just asked BD for a return authorization.

I like the finger construction and combination of leather and synthetic. As expected with a belay glove, this is mostly leather with just the back side in fabric.

You get what you pay for.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Crag gloves on 12/15/2013 13:22:32 MST Print View

thats surprising ... i know several people with those gloves and ive used theirs as well

and as i said, one of my partners uses hers for hours on end ... and used them trekking in the amazon and the andes without issue

hmmmmm

you should probably avoid Mechanix style gloves as well since many of them have a similar velcro closure at the wrist ...

;)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Crag gloves on 12/15/2013 13:40:15 MST Print View

Eric, it could be that they made changes in the glove. I have used all kinds of mechanics gloves with no problems and I'm not all that sensitive to clothing chafing, but the pair I got are pretty rough. I tried on some very similar Petzl gloves that were much better. So it goes!

Black Diamond Crag gloves

Edited by dwambaugh on 12/15/2013 13:48:52 MST.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: Crag gloves on 12/15/2013 14:03:13 MST Print View

that loose thread is normal on many outdoor brands .... ive found stuff like that on montbell, dead birds, patagucci, MEC and other clothes

the ONLY brand i havent found loose threads on is westcomb ...

you should probably go into a store and try on every glove ... other than shoes and packs ... gloves are probably the item where fit is everything ...

climbers know this and go into a store trying ever pair on ... i also bring a length of cord and make sure i can tie all my knots with the gloves on

;)

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: gloves on 12/15/2013 14:37:54 MST Print View

Loose threads that haven't been clipped after finishing are one thing, but the perimeter reinforcing on a wear point is another. It's sloppy. Granted, they are $20 list and designed for short term use when belaying, so like I said, you get what you pay for. It's all your fault, Eric ;)

I've gone through all the gloves at REI and another store and sought input here. Seirus makes the All Weather in a version with a full leather palm and that may be the way to go.

Velimir Kemec
(velimirkemec) - F
fleece lined leather on 12/16/2013 15:02:23 MST Print View

Hi,

Anyone using these:

http://www.mec.ca/product/5033-599/black-diamond-dirt-bag-gloves-unisex/?h=10+50089+50020+50111&f=10+50089+50112

Whats not to like? Too heavy, cant pull the liner out for drying..same stuff but cheaper with fleece liner glove+deerskin leather overglove mentioned in the thread..?

Cheers!