Forum Index » GEAR » Just ordered a couple of these cheap cups for potential use as a pot, anyone else used one?

Display Avatars Sort By:
J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Locale: Puget Sound
Just ordered a couple of these cheap cups for potential use as a pot, anyone else used one? on 12/11/2013 14:32:59 MST Print View

I found these apparently very light (3 oz listed) stainless steel 32oz cups on Sierra Trading Post: Jacob Bromwell Classic Stainless Steel Cup - Large, 32 fl.oz.

Just wondering if anyone else had used them? From the reviews and specs I'm guessing the walls will be really thin, and the handle might be garbage, but it looked like it might work well over an alcohol or esbit burner, which I've been meaning to start playing with again. For such a low price, I figured it'd be fun to mess with. I'll post some pics when I get them.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Just ordered a couple of these cheap cups for potential use as a pot, anyone else used one? on 12/11/2013 14:46:22 MST Print View

We apologize for the inconvenience! This product is currently sold out!

also would be interested in the dimensions, as in, can a fuel canister fit inside? I suppose it doesn't matter, because the cans now come in mini-sizes too.

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/11/2013 14:51:02 MST.

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Re: You're kidding! on 12/11/2013 14:52:45 MST Print View

Sorry about that. I ordered yesterday and pasted the link from my email. Didn't occur to me to check if they were sold out.

Here's the same thing on Ebay for a lot of 6: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jacob-Bromwell-Original-Classic-Non-Embossed-Large-Tin-Cup-/271233929669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f26cd51c5

Ebay link had dimensions:

Dimensions:
4.25 wide x 4.0 tall (in inches)
Holds 29.63 fluid oz. or 3.7 cups

Edited by jraiderguy on 12/11/2013 14:54:02 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Just ordered a couple of these cheap cups for potential use as a pot, anyone else used one? on 12/11/2013 15:43:30 MST Print View

Daiso stores carry several sizes of very similar mugs. They are basically a stainless version of the IMUSA mugs.

I think they would be great for families and Scouts who are always on a tight budget.

Aside form the IMUSA mugs, the next step up is the GSI Space Saver mugs, now offered in clear and hard anodized aluminum as well as the original stainless steel.

I saw those, put them in my cart and waited too long :(

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

@Dale - thanks on 12/11/2013 15:50:47 MST Print View

Your cup/gear knowledge is impressive! I hadn't seen those IMUSA cups or heard of Daiso. Thanks.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

IMUSA mug on 12/12/2013 11:59:34 MST Print View

those inexpensive Walmart IMUSA aluminum mugs are the poorman's Titanium mug equivalent.
found it in the cooking supplies section at Wally, not the sporting goods.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-Aluminum-Mug/15040697

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/12/2013 12:01:37 MST.

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Weight? on 12/12/2013 15:46:21 MST Print View

Jim H, please lust know the actualy weight when you get yours. I find it hard to believe a 32oz mug made of stainless weighs 3oz. but stuff happens.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: @Dale - thanks on 12/12/2013 15:54:27 MST Print View

IMUSA mugs come in 10cm and 12cm sizes, sometimes found at Wally World. Non anodized or coated-- just plain aluminum, cheap and light. They are in the Pantheon of cheap and light gear with the Stanco Grease Pot and recycled water bottles.

In the Seattle area there are Daiso stores in the International District, Westlake Center and Alderwood Mall. They have cheap resin Croc-off shoes (if your feet are small), stainless cups, thin plastic cutting boards and all kinds of other stuff to snag your wallet for $1.50 each.

J J
(jraiderguy) - M

Cups arrived -- pics and weight on 12/13/2013 21:19:04 MST Print View

(edited to fix pic resolution)
My cups were waiting for me this afternoon. Fast delivery! Initial impression is that they're pretty cheap, but they were also very inexpensive, so it's about what I expected. Weight is 3.2 oz, very thin walled, and the "weld" on the handle looks like I could pop it off if I tried. Still, I really like them at first glance.

The MSR 8oz fuel canister *just* fits in the cup. It's actually a perfect fit, maybe too much so, as a little bending in the cup walls or rim might make it not fit. For use as a pot, handle durability might be an issue, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll get some time to play with it on a supercat soon. The bottom is perfectly flat, so it should seal well.

4 pics:

Edited by jraiderguy on 12/13/2013 21:23:49 MST.

Jeff Hollis
(hyperslug) - MLife
Nice Find! on 12/14/2013 07:46:45 MST Print View

Thanks for posting pictures and weight.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Jacob Bromwell on 12/18/2013 10:25:40 MST Print View

I searched the Jacob Bromwell site and there is no idication that they manufacture that stainless steel cup.

http://www.jacobbromwell.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=stainless steel

Bromwell is noted for it's "quality" USA made products.

The 32oz cup must be an import uder the guise of Bromwell "Style"

It's still not available.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Sierra Trading Post mugs on 12/18/2013 10:54:52 MST Print View

They have them back in stock again.

D S
(smoke) - F
PLEASE!!!!!!! on 12/18/2013 11:06:18 MST Print View

Please don't turn this into a ethics with counterfeits thread like the Ebay windshirt thread.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: PLEASE!!!!!!! on 12/18/2013 11:33:59 MST Print View

Why not?

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: PLEASE!!!!!!! on 12/18/2013 11:36:23 MST Print View

Oh it's on!

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Sold out again on 12/18/2013 11:36:51 MST Print View

I tried to purchase two but received an error message that only one was available, so I got one. I like the idea of a really thin SS pot with handle. :^) Someone needs to find a really light lid.

Edited by Hitech on 12/18/2013 11:37:22 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Cups arrived -- pics and weight on 12/18/2013 11:39:58 MST Print View

Thumbs Up

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Sold out again on 12/18/2013 11:44:32 MST Print View

That mug is pretty sweet. I have a MSR Alpine Pot in steel which I really like but it never sees any use due to its weight.

I can't believe that for something just under a liter, with a handle, and in stainless steel, that this comes in at 3.2oz. I'd probably just grind the handle off anyways presumably bringing it under 3oz.

While Dale is the local SME on all things water container, I have to give Shug credit as the poster child of the Imusa "Hillbilly Pot."

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/18/2013 11:59:37 MST.

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
back in stock on 05/02/2014 22:14:45 MDT Print View

These were back in stock last week and I ordered one...now they are out of stock. My initial impressions is that it has about as much give as an imusa cup, maybe slightly stronger. It is 3.2 oz. With a coupon I paid $4 shipped free to the store...

If you are looking to score one, create an account at sierra trading post, and go to the page and click on the "my updates" sold out area on the page and sierra will email you when its back in stock. I have used the my updates thing before and found it to be reliable.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Careful removing the handles on 05/03/2014 00:00:06 MDT Print View

I have one of these cups that I bought in Chinatown a few years ago, and I actually did pop the handle off. Unfortunately that left a hole in the side of the cup, which is now relegated to holding pencils on my desk. So don't just pry the handle off like I did!