VAPOR BARRIER CLOTHING
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Lane
(KEVINLANE) - F
VAPOR BARRIER CLOTHING on 12/09/2013 12:19:23 MST Print View

Does anyone know of a source, aside from RBH, for vapor barrier socks and gloves size large? I do not seem able to find the ones that Integral and Climb High used to sell. Right now I am using the disposable plastic bags that some buildings and stores have for customers to put wet umbrellas into

Thanks

Kevin (Paddy)

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: VAPOR BARRIER CLOTHING on 12/09/2013 16:09:15 MST Print View

Stephenson's Warmlite

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
gloves and sock vapor barriers on 12/09/2013 16:20:13 MST Print View

Sunbeam
Wonder
Bunny
Natures Own

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
VBL socks on 12/09/2013 18:47:51 MST Print View

Sais it many times here. Thin neoprene diver's socks make teh best and warmest socks.

BUT they must be seam sealed with a good sealant like Shoo Goo or urethane tent seam sealer. Rub the sealant in well, let dry thoroughly an add a second layer.

M B
(littlelite8) - F
+ 1 Warmlite on 12/09/2013 19:01:54 MST Print View

Just picked up a pair that arrived today in the mail. Construction is nice and feel comfortable for what they are.

Hope to get them out this weekend.

Price is right too. $10 shipped to me. Not bad.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: VBL socks on 12/09/2013 19:44:00 MST Print View

Thin neoprene diver's socks make the best and warmest socks.

The recently recently mentioned Adirondack Mountain Club's Winter Mountaineering School Handbook gives that a qualified endorsement:

Insulating Socks:
Experienced hikers almost always use two pair of socks - one thin pair of liner
socks and one thick pair of insulating socks. Some use three pair of socks: a thin liner, a slightly thicker middle sock and a thick insulating sock. In a three layer sock system, some staff members use neoprene socks as the middle layer. See note on
neoprene socks in the section on Vapor Barrier Liner

Here is the note from the VBL section:

Note that waterproof breathable socks or neoprene booties ARE NOT acceptable since water vapor will pass though and get your insulating layers wet, defeating the purpose of VBL socks.

I THINK they are meaning to say that neoprene is not acceptable as the VBL ... but would work with a suitable VBL inside them.