Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Gaining weight from sleeping in the cold?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Gaining weight from sleeping in the cold? on 12/08/2013 19:59:53 MST Print View

Hailing All Nutrition Experts!

I'm not worried or anything, but I'm curious about some weight fluctuation I've had this fall.

I've slept outside almost every night since about early September. As the temperature drops, I've adjusted pretty handily and I'm sleeping comfortably at my sleeping bag's temperature rating.

I spent September, October, and early November biking and running aggressively so I may have gained muscular weight, but I went from 158lbs in early October to 169lbs today. I don't look any different in the mirror- still no gut and no noticeable bulk of muscle (everything got a little firmer), but I feel squishier, like I've got a thick layer of fat over my abdomen and quads. For reference, i'm 6'1."

I didn't think it was possible to put on 5-10lbs from two weeks off of exercise, and I wasn't sitting around all the time; I still commute by bike everyday.

My questions are two:

1. Is this kind of weight fluctuation an indication of anything other than the possibility that I just ate a lot during the end of November without exercising? I've never gained weight while sedentary before; my metabolism is very high.

2. Is it possible that my body stored extra fat as a response to constant cold temperatures while sleeping? If so, NEAT.

Curious, and ready to start running and biking aggressively again,

Max

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Gaining weight from sleeping in the cold? on 12/08/2013 20:08:23 MST Print View

I looked it up in a medical guide. Appears you are going through menopause. Heat flashes are next.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Hot Flash? Excellent. on 12/08/2013 20:11:13 MST Print View

Good, that should decrease my pack weight when I drop a fleece from my kit.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Hot Flash? Excellent. on 12/08/2013 20:16:25 MST Print View

Have you been drinking beer? That will add weight too.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Tell Me It's The Cold on 12/08/2013 20:20:02 MST Print View

No more than usual. Once a week I'll have 3-5 beers with friends at the bar. All fall and spring of 2012, I drank maybe 10-15 per week because that was my "be a college student" year. I gained nothing. I ate pretty unhealthily.

This summer I went vegetarian and went from 165 to 158, then ate more cheese and bread and went back to 165 by... I think October. So I guess I've put on 4lbs but what I'm really wondering is if there's a fat layer storing because of the cold.

The likely answer is "You set a record for Mashed Potatoes Consumed on Thanksgiving, big boy."

But I would be much more delighted if it turned out to be a physiological response for survival.

Either way, I'm sure it'll fall off.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Tell Me It's The Cold on 12/08/2013 20:21:23 MST Print View

Face it Max, you're getting older. It's the beer.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

That seems to be it... on 12/08/2013 20:31:30 MST Print View

Yeah, I can't find anything online other than a scientific study that showed humans in colder climates adapted to be rounder because it decreased their surface area for better heat retention. Since i'm not inuit, I'm just older.

Whatever! An extra 5lbs to train muscles on, and polar bear fat for winter!

Papa don't preach; I'm keepin' my baby until Spring.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Gaining weight from sleeping in the cold? on 12/09/2013 00:54:23 MST Print View

Max,

Look into the digital scales with electronic pulses through the feet.
They tell you % body fat, % water, % muscle, weight in Lbs (sorry no grams)
Bed Bath & Beyond or Target have some for $20-$50 range.

On another thread someone had posted that they gain +5-10 lbs after a weekend trip. The general consensus was that it could have been the salts in the trail food, that caused water retention, of course muscle building too includes water.

Gravity weight is not necessarily fat increase. if your waist belt looks promising, then its muscle.

I like those scales, because if you have a glass of water, your BMI score is not affected, and people don't have to play the dehydration game to fool themselves into a short term weight loss.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Same time, clothes, etc. on 12/11/2013 18:33:22 MST Print View

Make sure you weight yourself at the same time, with the same clothes and "conditions". Most people are the lightest in the morning after their first "bathroom break" and before eating or drinking anything. You can easily vary as much as 4 (or more) pounds during a single day.