Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » Grandfathered in life membership ended

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Locale: asheville nc
Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 19:26:10 MST Print View

So before the membership subscription system was restructured I purchased an annual membership. (Last year) I recieved an email that said the membership system was being restructured but, th,at I was being grandfathered in as a life member. My annual membership expired and I could no longer post in the forums without buying another membership. I don't understand. Did this happen to anyone else?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 19:29:41 MST Print View

"I was being grandfathered in as a life member."

Did you ever see the MLife identifier next to your name?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 20:05:43 MST Print View

Brock is talking about having a lifetime membership as a poster, not an mlife (articles and such).
I was here before they started charging for posting. I too thought I had a lifetime membership for posting (I kinda remember being told that) until it disappeared. Pretty ticked off about that to be honest.
I can't believe this place charges for you to post. A $5 fee will all but kill this forum. Whoever is running this is just being greedy. I understand the spam issue but it was originally a $1 fee and that solved the problem. This is just pathetic.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 20:15:51 MST Print View

http://support.backpackinglight.com/support/solutions/articles/150472-i-thought-i-was-being-grandfathered-in-with-a-forum-membership-back-in-2012-i-don-t-have-one-now-why-

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 20:21:41 MST Print View

The reason given to charge for posting was to minimize spam posts

Before this change, there were a lot of spam posts. Sometimes there were 10 spam posts for every real post. After they started charging, I don't remember any spam posts

Not that there aren't other ways to minimize spam

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
Re: "Grandfathered in life membership ended" on 12/07/2013 20:28:47 MST Print View

Hi Ken.

Misfit Mystic
(cooldrip)

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"
Greed on 12/07/2013 20:34:35 MST Print View

Greed? Really? I really doubt Ryan is lining his pockets off the forums here. Let's not forget, it does cost him money to run and maintain the site. Why should this be free? I can understand and sympathize with some of the MLife member complaints, but this just seems petulant.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 21:17:13 MST Print View

"...lifetime membership as a poster..."

Back in 2008 I thought there were only Annual Memberships. I don't recall any "lifetime" catagories until MLife came along.

Am I mistaken?

Edited by greg23 on 12/07/2013 21:25:48 MST.

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Re: Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 21:26:24 MST Print View

Hmm this heps, this is actually what I am talking about. Who do I contact? Thanks

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 21:29:39 MST Print View

Brock,
What helps?

The link posted above by Ken?

Or learning about different memberships?

Edited by greg23 on 12/07/2013 21:30:11 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Grandfathered in life membership ended on 12/07/2013 21:30:45 MST Print View

"Who do I contact?"

http://support.backpackinglight.com/support/home

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Link on 12/07/2013 21:35:19 MST Print View

The link posted above by ken, I sent an email to customer support several months ago before renewing my membership but never recieved anything back. The link ken posted says that if you did not recieve your grandfathered in membership but, you recieved an email saying you would gf in to contact them, but there is no contact info. Upon further investigation there is a ticket system p, so I filled out a ticket. Hope that helps.

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Why should it be free? on 12/08/2013 19:46:43 MST Print View

Not sure what membership costs now, but feel like the fee I paid for life membership was one of the best backpacking purchases I've made. Have easily had that much value in information learned, things bought, mistakes avoided, horizons expanded, inspiration gained. What does basic memberships cost now?

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Why should it be free? on 12/08/2013 20:02:30 MST Print View

you need an F "membership" to post in any forum.

anyone that was already signed up before the spam attacks was given one of these. they are now $5 or something. I don't know why Brocks has run out.. seems weird.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
M to F on 12/08/2013 20:13:59 MST Print View

There's no program that runs to convert expired Annual Members to Forum Members. You have to request it be switched over. And it seems Ryan doesn't delegate that responsibility to anyone. So if he's in the backcountry for a few weeks when your M status is up, you're SOL. That's what happened to me last summer. I emailed, I logged a support ticket, I contacted Roger (who replied within hours, but lacked the authorization to help), and after a week's non-response from Ryan I re-upped my Annual Membership so I could get an item in Gear Swap out of hock. I've never received a reply to my support ticket or the original email. Does it irk me? A little. But not enough to leave the site. I'll take this inconvenience over the spam we had prior to the F memberships any day.

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Membership. on 12/08/2013 20:17:16 MST Print View

Stuart I am in the exact same boat as you. I Di all those steps several months ago and finally gave in and bought another membership. If I can still get grandfathered in then I would like to be.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Why should it be free? on 12/08/2013 20:33:45 MST Print View

"Why should it be free?"

Because almost every other forum does not charge you to post. Ads are supposed to take care of administration costs.

Misfit Mystic
(cooldrip)

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"
RE: Why should it be free? on 12/08/2013 21:21:39 MST Print View

Interesting. I have no idea what BPL makes in ad revenue. I have no idea what it costs to run the site. I have no idea what value Ryan places on his time. Nor does anyone else here. What "almost every other forum" does is irrelevant; it's Ryan's business. As a small business owner myself, I pay close attention to the opinions of my paying customers. Non-customers with an opinion, not so much...

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Why should it be free? on 12/08/2013 21:44:43 MST Print View

"Why should it be free?"

>> Because almost every other forum does not charge you to post. <<

Ask yourself why you are Here and not at "every other forum"....

Maybe because you find Value here that you don't get elsewhere?
Maybe because you find Something here that you don't find elsewhere?

BPL is what it is. And the door is always open.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Why should it be free? on 12/08/2013 22:58:09 MST Print View

The only value in this forum is the members and the words that the members type. The website itself is terrible and outdated and the articles don't go into the depth that they used to.
Every other forum site gets along fine with ad revenue and optional supporter memberships. By "every other forum" I don't mean every other ultralight backpacking forum, I'm talking about forums that discuss other subjects, and this is THE ultralight backpacking forum.

It's not about the money, it's that having a fee required to post will stop new people from contributing. It will eventually kill off this forum. They are screwing with the most popular ultralight backpacking forum.

Edited by justin_baker on 12/08/2013 22:59:11 MST.