Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: GGG gathering west Coast on 01/05/2014 20:51:14 MST Print View

Dan, I used the felt simmer disk with a modified starlyte burner to make a large biscuit for biscuit and gravy...in single F temps on a recent trip - each worked great. Thanks for the idea.

Edited by jnklein21 on 01/05/2014 20:53:10 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: GGG gathering west Coast on 01/06/2014 08:47:17 MST Print View

Ken, I sent out another package this morning with Fancee Feest stoves and a couple other items.

Klein, put a lid on the pot, bring to boil and then place simmer disc on to see how it works?

watch the video again to see how the disc works. The 12-10 stove is hot from just finishing the boil of 2 cups and now it's time to simmer. The disc is then placed on the burner and it takes awhile for the flame to settle down as the burner calms down. There is a lot of evaporation going on due to the heat.

It will be interesting to see how the TD simmer ring works at the upcoming GGG outing in CA.

video 12-10andStarLyteSimmer_zpsb2b5cc72.mp4

DY
Adventures In Stove Making

Edited by zelph on 01/06/2014 08:58:27 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
TD's simmer ring: Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device on 01/06/2014 11:42:37 MST Print View

Trail Designs Simmer Ring offers
a) $9.95 standard simmer ring that reduces your cooking speed by 85%
b) $24.90 adjustable simmer ring set reduces cooking speed by 50% - 85%

I do not know of any independent test results using them.

I don't know about price at the time the above was posted but the adjustable version is $14.95 now.

This posting links to a couple video demos.

I have a standard version coming ... will report back after it arrives.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: TD's simmer ring: Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device on 01/06/2014 12:43:57 MST Print View

Thanks Jim for the link. I viewed that thread as it was progressing. I'm interested in seeing how the simmer sleeve is applied. Does the burner have to be blown out and then the sleeve applied and then re lit. For dry baking do you use a cold burner, apply the simmer sleeve/ring and then light?

I read today that Lee from TD did a demo at last years GGG gathering in CA. Does anyone remember what Lee said about the device or see the demo?

Here is a quote from last years GGG:

"""Lee Demonstrating Alcohol Stove & Simmering Ring
Maybe the simmering ring was a new product that will be released or simply a prototype, I was not sure and I failed to get a photo of it while it was out briefly. A simple metal ring that is placed over their Aluminum 12-10 alcohol stove that covered the air intake holes on the side of the stove to create the ability to simmer food. Ingeniously simple and effective, like their Caldera Cone."""

Edited by zelph on 01/06/2014 12:56:23 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: TD's simmer ring: Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device on 01/06/2014 14:00:21 MST Print View

"A simple metal ring that is placed over their Aluminum 12-10 alcohol stove that covered the air intake holes"

I use only a strip of aluminum foil that is formed to cover most of the air intake holes. I don't need any commercial product for any price.

--B.G.--

Larry Swearingen
(Larry_Swearingen) - M

Locale: NE Indiana
Simmer Ring on 01/06/2014 15:47:42 MST Print View

I recently bought a Caldera Cone with a Ti Pot and also got the simmer ring.
To use it you just boil your water first, then lift the pot and cone
off the stove and just slip the Simmer Ring over the stove. It slides
down to cut down on the air flow through the stove and lowers the flame. The Trail Designs Simmer Ring has a slight taper and the smaller diameter goes up. Of course once it is in place you can't just pick it up and move it. It gets HOT ! But once it's in place it
cuts the flame down considerably. Never timed it though.

Larry S

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Simmer Ring on 01/06/2014 18:50:40 MST Print View

--B.G.-- Last I heard you use a canister stove.

Larry, I'm going to purchase a TD simmer ring and do some testing. thanks for your instructions. I want to see how the flame reacts after the simmer is put on.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Simmer Ring on 01/06/2014 19:09:36 MST Print View

I just ordered a simmer ring. I'm in Northern Illinois, TD is in CA. It cost me $9.01 for shipping. Shipping rates are high in the USA as they are for International Orders. It costs $9.75 to ship a 4 oz. box to the United Kingdom and other European countries. Just a heads up.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Simmer Ring on 01/06/2014 19:26:55 MST Print View

"--B.G.-- Last I heard you use a canister stove."

I'm not sure what you are getting at. I own a half dozen white gas stoves, another half dozen canister stoves, a few alcohol burners, and a couple of Esbit burners. Which one I take on a specific trip depends on what kind of cooking I'm doing. Mostly I use Esbit in the summer.

The Trail Designs 12-10 burner works fine by itself. I just put a piece of aluminum foil around it to get the simmer effect.

--B.G.--

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Simmer Ring on 01/06/2014 19:35:57 MST Print View

Bob, yes, canister and esbit primary cooking choices.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
shipping costs: TD Simmer Ring on 01/06/2014 20:13:10 MST Print View

I just ordered a simmer ring. I'm in Northern Illinois, TD is in CA. It cost me $9.01 for shipping.

That's odd ... I'm in MN and was charged 'only' $6.37 for std shipping on an purchase of a 12-10 stove, simmer ring and prime-lite primer pan (I had removed the outer primer pan on my stove so it all would fit in a short/wide Evernew 900ml pan)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: shipping costs: TD Simmer Ring on 01/07/2014 15:32:08 MST Print View

""""I just ordered a simmer ring. I'm in Northern Illinois, TD is in CA. It cost me $9.01 for shipping.

That's odd ... I'm in MN and was charged 'only' $6.37 for std shipping on an purchase of a 12-10 stove, simmer ring and prime-lite primer pan (I had removed the outer primer pan on my stove so it all would fit in a short/wide Evernew 900ml pan)"""""

Maybe they needed to adjust their rates for 2014....dunno....pretty steep for such a small 2 gram piece......ahhhhh!!!! it's titanium....more postage :-)))))

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: TD's simmer ring: Caldera Cone 12-10 and StarLyte Simmer Device on 01/13/2014 13:32:15 MST Print View

I received my TD simmer ring last week and was able to give it a whirl today. I followed the directions and it works well. Get one for 12-10 stoves to do some baking or cooking of rice etc.

Anyone have a chance to try the carbon felt disc?

I've had a few requests for them, so I'll list them in the "gear deals" forum. I'll have a vested interest in them.

The disc works well with the "Companion Burner" that's made for use with wood burning stoves to melt snow when in a hurry or wet wood is the only wood available. The "Companion Burner" holds 4 ounces of fuel and is easily made to go into a simmer mode by using the disc.

There will be a dozen discs given away at the upcoming GGG gathering in California. Try them on other open top stoves during the "show and tell sessions out there.

Edited by zelph on 01/13/2014 13:35:18 MST.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG gathering west Coast on 02/17/2014 08:12:01 MST Print View

Ken gave a dozen of these away at the recent GGG gathering out in California where they had some really nice weather. Here in Northern Illinois we are in the process of getting another 6" of snow dumped on us :-)

Get out and do some real cooking and baking with one of these Carbon Felt Pads

These carbon felt simmer pads are now available in "Gear Deals"

Exclusive offer for BPL viewers/members in “Gear Deals”

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Thank you on 02/17/2014 09:04:46 MST Print View

I obtained both the regular Starlyte and the modified one and the simmer ring. I'll have to try the cooking gig sometime. Had very satisfactory results my second go round with the modified Starlyte. This time, instead of seeing how it burned in the open, I used it to heat up a pot of water. Slower than the 12-10 but a little more efficient as has already been reported.
Duane