microspike, crampon suggestions.
Display Avatars Sort By:
scree ride
(scree)
Sizing on 12/06/2013 14:42:11 MST Print View

How's the sizing on the Kahtoolas, I'm like right in the middle.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
On Sizing on 12/06/2013 15:59:35 MST Print View

If you are right on the border size-wise, you might want to base it on what shoes/boots you will be wearing. The Kathoola microspikes go on and off by stretching the rubber bit around and over your shoes. If you wear them with heavier hiking boots with heavy soles, then you might size up. If you are wearing them with light trail runner type footwear, then maybe size down.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: On Sizing on 12/13/2013 08:15:59 MST Print View

Kahtoola has 2 sizes for the KTS. Small/medium and medium/large, with both fitting a size 9. I usually wear a size 9 in the winter. I went with the larger size and am glad I did. The difference in length is adjusted by a sliding leaf spring that connects the step with the heel. In my case, it could be cut some to shave some weight. It's good to have extra length for larger winter shoes.
I went with the steel, I could see myself wearing down the aluminum. Not a lot of difference in weight. There's not much to them.
Thirty-two dollars off at Campsaver with free 2 day shipping.

1a

Now I suppose an ice axe is in order. The BD Falcon or the Falcon Pro both look to be good choices. According to the REI guide I should have one about 70cm.
I think I would prefer a Petzl. I have poles for walking and I prefer the curved handle on the Petzls. Defiantly not 70 centimeters either. There's cheaper axes out there as well that may fit the bill. It will rarely be used and I'm not ice climbing, but it is safety equipment and needs to be good quality. Just looking for input.

Edited by scree on 12/13/2013 08:18:13 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: On Sizing on 12/13/2013 08:23:44 MST Print View

CAMP Corsa. 7.2 ounces.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Re: Re: On Sizing on 12/13/2013 08:40:54 MST Print View

Thanks Nick.
Do I really need to go the full 70 cm (closed fist to ankles) or would 50 or 60cm be sufficient?