Forum Index » Multiple Use Gear » Dr. Bronners as Toothpaste?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Listerine Pocketpak oral care strips on 05/01/2012 17:02:38 MDT Print View

"No need, Tom. But like toothpaste, if you like the taste..."

Thanks, Gary. You just saved me from wasting any more of my hard earned money.

The fringe benefit comes from not having to put up with the taste, which I don't much care for.

Susan Papuga
(veganaloha) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Re: Bronners - It's OK on 05/02/2012 13:43:01 MDT Print View

"Whenever I meet someone born in the early 70's named Sunshine or Starlight or Meadow, I wonder how well that worked to actually prevent conception."

now that is funny!

Edited by veganaloha on 05/02/2012 13:47:09 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Dr. Bronners as Toothpaste? on 05/02/2012 19:27:51 MDT Print View

Warning :
DR Bronners causes premature aging.
( see if you can spot that on the label)
Since using it I look at least 10 years older.
It works but keep this in mind.
Franco

Kristofer McKenna
(KryoShift)

Locale: North Texas
I had to try... on 05/04/2012 10:58:31 MDT Print View

After reading all this, I picked up a little 3oz bottle of peppermint flavor, and brushed with two drops last night.

It definitely tasted like soap, but it was easily bearable (for me) and it only lingered for 15 minutes or less. The peppermint freshness lasted much longer, which I'm a fan of.

I'd do it again.

Steven Clark
(sclark58) - MLife

Locale: Costa Rica
Re: Re: Dr. Bronners as Toothpaste? on 05/30/2012 17:18:14 MDT Print View

Baking soda. Don't forget it neutralizes stings and rashes.

Kyle Motley
(motlekj06) - F

Locale: VA
Bronners on 05/30/2012 18:18:14 MDT Print View

I'm going to try brushing with Dr. Bronner's right now....in the name of science, of course.

Kyle Motley
(motlekj06) - F

Locale: VA
Science on 05/30/2012 18:22:12 MDT Print View

Wow, that is almost as bad as my girlfriends homemade mouthwash....which i used after brushing with Bronners

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

Locale: Palmdale, CA
Stopping brushing with toothpaste got rid of my sensitive teeth problem for good! on 01/16/2013 23:04:05 MST Print View

I use the unscented Bronners for brushing my teeth, and there's hardly any taste at all. Some of the others are pretty nasty. It takes all of about 3-4 drops, which is nothing in the backcountry. I have a small dropper bottle in my pack and use it for body and oral hygiene.

AND after reading a post online about a guy solving his sensitive teeth problem by brushing with soap and STOPPING his use of toothpaste, I gave it a shot using Bronners. I've had sensitive teeth for years and even the toothpaste for sensitive teeth doesn't seem to help much, if any. Once I stopped using toothpaste, the issue was TOTALLY gone within a couple weeks and hasn't returned. An online explanation I read had to do with the glycerine in the toothpaste that is deposited on the teeth every time you brush and prevents the calcium in your saliva from being deposited over the sensitive areas. Beats me. All I know is that nothing I've ever tried worked until I totally got rid of the toothpaste. I haven't had a single incidence of sensitive tooth pain since. All the sweets that would get stuck on the sensitive part and cause pain don't give me any problems at all now. Freakin' awesome!!!!

Tony Ronco
(tr-browsing) - MLife
Unscented Bronners: Thanks for the tip! on 01/17/2013 09:59:28 MST Print View

I've been using a drop or two of Bronner's Peppermint for years now
... as this thread goes over, this approach has its pluses and minuses. For me, the lightweight convenience overrides the inconvenience of its taste (= which I find tolerable).
Never realized that Bronner's Baby Mild is unscented without any fragrance. I got to try that out! It holds the promise of reducing the big minus of this approach. Thanks for the tip Randy!

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

"bears LOVE peppermint Bronners!" on 01/17/2013 10:05:26 MST Print View

During this NOLS lecture, the bear researcher mentions that they had discovered that the Grizzlies really loved the peppermint Bronners! Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

Edited by bagboy on 01/17/2013 10:06:47 MST.

Marc Kokosky
(mak52580) - F

Locale: Washington, DC Area
Meh on 03/26/2013 13:29:02 MDT Print View

I tried it but couldn't get over the soapy taste. I think my mom made me lick too much of it as a kid. It's a gag reflex that takes me back to the unhappier times of punishment as a kid.

Green Thumb
(greenthumb)
Using too much on 03/26/2013 16:27:03 MDT Print View

If you taste soap, you are using too much. I use 2-3 small drops and don't ever taste soap. The few times I have put more than that, I do taste soap.

Jim Milstein
(JimSubzero) - M

Locale: New Uraniborg CO
Two Tiny Drops of Bronner's Almond on 03/26/2013 22:36:30 MDT Print View

Works for me. Little soap taste. Sensation of having a clean mouth afterward. I brush for a long time believing that mechanical action is what actually cleans teeth and disperses plaque. The toothpaste or soap or bicarb or whatever is for good luck.

Some dentists warn that bicarb of soda is too abrasive. Others are silent on this important matter.

Just to be on the safe side, I also floss (mechanical) and run a toothpick tip around all the margins of my gums (mechanical). Doing this thorough tooth drill once a day has successfully maintained the health of my teeth and gums. Doing this in the wilderness is no harder than in a modern bathroom.

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Yuck! on 04/01/2013 06:59:01 MDT Print View

I found it to taste pretty horrible.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Dr, Bonner's and Microspikes on 04/14/2013 13:57:53 MDT Print View

Just after brushing my teeth with Dr. Bonner's I take out my Microspikes and flail my back until I get some blood splatter going.

(I'm doing pennance for not being a SUL backpacker.)

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Dr. Bronners as Toothpaste? on 04/14/2013 14:42:41 MDT Print View

Why do you guys carry toothpaste backpacking? I brush without it all the time.

Jonathan Jessop
(Jonathan_Jessop)
Re: "bears LOVE peppermint Bronners!" on 04/14/2013 18:41:49 MDT Print View

Interesting talk! Is he really advocating for everyone to carry bear spray anytime one is in bear country? Including all black bear country?

Randy Cain
(bagboy) - MLife

"bears LOVE peppermint Bronners!" on 04/14/2013 20:02:03 MDT Print View

It's been awhile since I watched that video, but I think I recall his research being in grizzly country in Alaska. I think that was the context for most of his talk.

Jonathan Jessop
(Jonathan_Jessop)
Re: "bears LOVE peppermint Bronners!" on 04/14/2013 20:41:12 MDT Print View

Oh ok, makes sense. Awesome talk though, he mentions Stephen Herreo's (sp?) book, that's a good one.

Bryan Oliphint
(HotTub) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Texas
Nothing on the bottle is SANE on 05/04/2013 17:53:05 MDT Print View

Ever read the fine print? The good doctor was off his rocker. I'm not putting any product in my mouth from that house of crazy.