Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 21:33:15 MST Print View

Roger must be one of those weirdos that likes to have sex with his pants on.

Edited by justin_baker on 12/08/2013 21:33:51 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 22:14:52 MST Print View

Jennifer, if I was reincarnated as a X X chromosome, I'd invest in a she-wee product for #1. I recommend them to my sister and niece when they travel to non-sanitary, and potentially unsafe locations, where "drop trou" is serious concern, for weather and vulnerability.

Dudes still drop trou for #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmJKY59NX8o

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 22:16:26 MST Print View

@Justin Baker

duuude!

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/08/2013 22:17:10 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 22:20:54 MST Print View

"Can we talk about pee rags now?"

@Jennifer

Skurka covered that quite well. I learned stuff I didn't want to know. ha!

http://andrewskurka.com/2013/female-hygiene-guide-tips/

but feel free to engage the BPL dudettes on this forum for their opinion.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 22:53:28 MST Print View

So Roger, so while I actually accept your panel logic, it still seems hard to fit my "rear fly" tights neatly into the theory. Are you saying the rear fly is there to fit different butt shapes? I suppose I could possibly buy that. As stupid as it sounds, it makes WAY more sense than a mazey slot for doing #2 in the cold. I've never seen those anywhere else so possibly this is a total aberration. On the other hand they are Patagonia, so one likes to believe they were well thought out. Maybe there are like the stamps that got printed with the upside-down plane 100 years ago - now they are worth millions because of the mistake.

Edited by millonas on 12/08/2013 22:57:41 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 22:55:35 MST Print View

I apologize for not concealing my remark in a heavy layer of innuendo.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 23:49:45 MST Print View

Mark
For doing #2 with minimal exposure to the elements:
the farmer johns, long johns rear flap, aka Red union suits, or drop seat back...
There is no mazey slot for #2. it's a couple of buttons or velcro, on a square rear butt flap.
I spend an entire 30 secs to find these style designs.

http://www.pajamacity.com/data/default/images/catalog/390/Z-JH-PN-alt3.jpg

http://img1.etsystatic.com/019/1/5283030/il_340x270.527825317_oc2j.jpg

and the Renaissance 1800s fashion design:
http://janeaustensworld.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/top-flap-trousers.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc102/19thcentury/vintagetextile.jpg

Though this a topic drift from the OP regarding doing #1 and the underwear front anti-ergonomic sewing.

looks like a MYOG project for an ultra gear/clothes geek

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/08/2013 23:53:56 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/09/2013 00:36:08 MST Print View

"Mark
For doing #2 with minimal exposure to the elements:
the farmer johns, long johns rear flap, aka Red union suits, or drop seat back...
There is no mazey slot for #2. it's a couple of buttons or velcro, on a square rear butt flap. I spend an entire 30 secs to find these style designs."

Roger,

You are not paying attention! I've been telling you I HAVE some Patagonia tights/long underwear with a rear fly that is fashioned (inexplicably) exactly like the usual *overlapping* style we have been talking about. Exactly, except they are a bit bigger, say about twice as big.

I am tempted to send you a picture, but I feel I need to know someone better before I send them photos of my underwear. Paying attention when I talk might be a good start. *sniff*

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/09/2013 00:45:31 MST Print View

don't send such photos. I recluse myself from this thread.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

This on 12/09/2013 00:59:11 MST Print View

"don't send such photos. I recluse myself from this thread."

Oh that is a good enough reason for me!

Front:

front

Back:

rear

Design - same. Size - a bit more than twice as big. Overlap in back, about 5 inches. Craziness - priceless.

Who the hell designed this? I suppose you could hold it open with both hands, but that scenario is...problematical.

Eric's assertion that this overlap is for "protection from the elements" - problematical in this case.

I'm telling you this is a bonafide fake wooden facade on a marble Greek temple - there is no use, and no function, as far as I can see.

Edited by millonas on 12/09/2013 01:09:09 MST.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: This on 12/09/2013 11:26:04 MST Print View

the traditional rear flat is about the size of full size printer paper 8.5x11

yea that rear design is weird. definitely not functional for #2 being high maintenance to operate with dedicated 2 hands, and high risk for garment contamination.

could be:
1) an expansion stretch adaptation for old folks with incontinence that wear Depends brand adult diapers (unlikely)
2) a design defect or failed poorly designed (probably)
3) some alternative lifestyle product -not going there- but we do call them Patagucci...
4) hey you bought it. :)

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/09/2013 11:28:11 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Re: Re: This on 12/09/2013 11:31:50 MST Print View

LOL

Yeah, ashamed to admit I thought of all those, but was too meek to suggest them. We could add (5) holder for heat packs (6) additional hidden storage area, perhaps for keys and money, like a money belt (7) actually designed to be used as a team, one to hold it open, the other to wipe....and so on. (whoops, looks like I may have just lost my license to make fun of pee jokes!)

Yeah, I know about the "grampa's long johns flaps". I mentioned them in my first post. I always think of some ice fisherman in MN sitting on a port-o-potty on a frozen lake using those.

Edited by millonas on 12/09/2013 11:37:35 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/09/2013 15:42:00 MST Print View

"Goodness gracious...what would you guys all do if you had to totally drop trou and squat to the ground each and every time you had to pee."

Get a sex change.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/09/2013 22:24:20 MST Print View

Tom....

THAT has to be the best post of 2013!

Ben Smith
(bsmith_90) - F - M

Locale: Epping Forest
wait so... on 12/09/2013 22:27:30 MST Print View

you mean you guys don't all get into your birthday suit to answer natures call?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

flap on 12/09/2013 22:29:57 MST Print View

If I see any of you on the trail wearing butt flap pants, I reserve the right to laugh hysterically at you.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: flap on 12/10/2013 16:26:58 MST Print View

"If I see any of you on the trail wearing butt flap pants, I reserve the right to laugh hysterically at you."

If you see anybody with their butt flap pants visible, you'd best save your breath for running in the opposite direction. ;=]

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/10/2013 16:28:03 MST Print View

"THAT has to be the best post of 2013!"

Even a blind squirrel occasionally happens upon a nut. ;)

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/10/2013 16:59:20 MST Print View

Tom,

I don't know where you get all those great sayings. Sometimes I think you must have grown up in the South. Two of my employees live in the South and their country sayings keep me in stitches when I travel with them.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/10/2013 17:26:11 MST Print View

"I don't know where you get all those great sayings. Sometimes I think you must have grown up in the South.

Long ago, before being banished to Little Rock by my boss for indiscretions with his secretary, I picked up a copy of Jefferson Davis' Little Red Book in order to ingratiate myself with the natives. Even longer ago, I watched Song of the South many times as a little boy. After a while, even a pussified San Francisco liberal like me got the hang of it....

"Two of my employees live in the South and their country sayings keep me in stitches when I travel with them."

Just don't let them talk you into a float trip down the Cahulawassee River. ;0]