The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer
Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 18:35:52 MST Print View

I saw a knitting pattern for that kind of sock before. Wish I would have saved it.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Cross Examination on 12/04/2013 18:36:02 MST Print View

Well Delmar,

I have to admit that this thread is much more entertaining and fun than 99.99% of the gear threads.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Re: The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 18:52:44 MST Print View

That thread is hilarious, oh my.

Gerald L
(Mtngeronimo) - F

Locale: SoCal
Sorting it all out on 12/04/2013 19:05:41 MST Print View

I first joined BPL for the great advice and experience of the community (and of course the gear deals) but am now quite alarmed. First it was the JMT pencil dilema and now the 'fly' or 'no fly' debacle. I am so confused! I'm thinking of just selling all my gear and buying a motorhome. Or do you think a lighter weight tent tailer would be a better option? : /

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Sorting it all out on 12/04/2013 19:09:05 MST Print View

It's all good. Don't limit yourself.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer on 12/04/2013 19:17:16 MST Print View

I've never used a fly before. Only inadvertently while wearing pajamas.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Sorting it all out on 12/04/2013 20:02:45 MST Print View

"Or do you think a lighter weight tent tailer would be a better option? : /"

As long as it has a fly. ;o)

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: The Other Fly , One question on 12/04/2013 20:06:10 MST Print View

Delmar. Boxers or briefs?

Mature men in tighty whities gives me nightmares

briefs

Edited by longstride on 12/04/2013 20:06:46 MST.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer on 12/04/2013 20:28:44 MST Print View

The women of BPL must be shaking their heads and rolling their eyes at us... thinking to themselves, "tsk tsk, do they ever think about anything other than their 'precious' packages???"

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Never with a fly on 12/04/2013 20:43:38 MST Print View

I would never use baselayer pants with a fly. I never use a fly and want to be able to wear the baselayer as an outerlayer if conditions warrant and wouldn't ever do that if it had a fly.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Outerwear on 12/04/2013 20:56:36 MST Print View

Excellent point, John.

I have a pair of "bicycle" type mid-thigh shorts that work either as outer shorts or as underwear. Couldn't use 'em as outers with a fly!

Yes, apologies to our beloved women for this thread, although I suspect they are mightily amused. And I would point out that if THEY had units like we do, then THEY would be thinking about them all the time, just as we do!

Don't criticize us, women, until you walk a mile in OUR thick, bunched-up underwear. You'll find out why we want yours...!

Edited by Bolster on 12/04/2013 20:59:11 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Outerwear on 12/04/2013 21:05:05 MST Print View

Running tights are just so much better than long underwear. Much more durable and practical if you are going to hike in them. I like the golite fleece lined tights, very warm and no fly.

Benji Hons
(BenjiH) - M
FLy or no fly on 12/06/2013 20:12:34 MST Print View

I have a pair of underarmor briefs with no fly, and i often undo the fly of my hiking pants/baselayer and unpleasantly discover that I forgot the undies dont have a fly and have to drop trow any ways... time for new undies I guess.

To each his own....

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/07/2013 19:22:04 MST Print View

It's apparent that many don't understand what the fly design is for.

The BUTTON fly is designed for the same purpose as a zipper. open the garage door and drive the bus out. Simple. fine.

The overlapping double curtain fly on the classic men's underwear is not designed to be an exit port. It's to maintain coverage during reduced and expanded cargo situation. It's design for comfort stretch without risking exposure or restricting blood flow. It is NOT designed as an exit port. Those that have tried to drive the straight long bus out of the S-shaped driveway found out that it fails.

so really the overlapping double curtain fly is for retractable expandable comfort. One size to fit for all occasions.

To pee with an overlapping double curtain fly, they were designed to be used the same way as the spandex bicycle shorts (or girl underwear) - pull down in the front and drive out.

The most functional and the least fashionable are the gold miner farmer john overall design. with a rear button flat for #2, and a front button flap for #1.

Farmer John can keep his demin overalls on, while going #1, #2, in the freezing cold, without risking exposure to the elements.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 13:24:27 MST Print View

"The overlapping double curtain fly on the classic men's underwear is not designed to be an exit port. It's to maintain coverage during reduced and expanded cargo situation. It's design for comfort stretch without risking exposure or restricting blood flow. It is NOT designed as an exit port. "

WOW! That actually made sense! A mystery since I was born... now resolved. Thanks. Also good to know I was actually doing it right all along.

I who'da thunkit on a thread made up mostly of pee jokes. Sometime you just gotta stick it out to the 3rd or 4th page! ;-)

Edited by millonas on 12/08/2013 13:27:10 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 17:18:25 MST Print View

"The overlapping double curtain fly on the classic men's underwear is not designed to be an exit port. It's to maintain coverage during reduced and expanded cargo situation. It's design for comfort stretch without risking exposure or restricting blood flow. It is NOT designed as an exit port. Those that have tried to drive the straight long bus out of the S-shaped driveway found out that it fails.

so really the overlapping double curtain fly is for retractable expandable comfort. One size to fit for all occasions."

I've read this over several times now, and I still don't have a clue what you're reasoning is. I've somehow managed to snake the unit thru that double curtain with no trouble at all for many, many years, even in pitch dark, and occasionally in conditions where dropping trou would have resulted in borderline frostbite. Today was a good example, hiking in temperatures that varied from 19 degrees F to 24 degrees F. Pulling one's pants down to pee, thereby exposing tender bits to the elements, when there is a convenient port clearly(at least to me) designed to be used for just that, seems a bit peculiar, to say the least. Perhaps if one exists in a state of perpetual tumescence.....

J R
(JRinGeorgia) - F
Re: The Other Fly on 12/08/2013 17:49:09 MST Print View

"Sometime you just gotta stick it out..."

Pun intended?

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 20:24:44 MST Print View

@ Tom Kirchner,

May be my Garage/Long Bus analogy didn't transfer well for everyone.

How about this analogy, I'm sure everyone could relate to.

Imagine if you are inside a 1-Person, 1-Door tent.

Imagine that the only door is the same design as the men's underwear with the overlapping double curtain.

Now imagine again that you are trying to get out of that tent, through those overlapping double curtain. You would have to snake S-shape out of that exit door.

Feasible, just not ideal.

Now, let's imagine (or not imagine!) that the person inside the tent got really fat and doubled their height, width, girth and weight. Again, trying to exit out of that overlapping double curtain is getting more difficult.

I can only take these analogies so far before I get more Google ads about the rated x topics.

Edited by RogerDodger on 12/08/2013 20:25:17 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 20:43:19 MST Print View

"Now, let's imagine (or not imagine!) that the person inside the tent got really fat and doubled their height, width, girth and weight. Again, trying to exit out of that overlapping double curtain is getting more difficult."

And all this time I thought we were talking about p'ing. IME, p'ing and tumescence are a functional oxymoron.

Now let's sit back and see what Google does with tumescence. ;0)

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: FLy or no fly - what the double curtain fly is for. on 12/08/2013 21:24:54 MST Print View

Goodness gracious...what would you guys all do if you had to totally drop trou and squat to the ground each and every time you had to pee.

I believe this is what is known as a First World Problem.

But I must admit to being terribly entertained. Can we talk about pee rags now?