Forum Index » GEAR » The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer

Display Avatars Sort By:
scree ride
(scree)
fly on 12/04/2013 07:18:46 MST Print View

As long as the fly is well covered, I can skimp elsewhere and save weight.
Check out the Houdini Wind Boxers.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
there a numerous base layer options without a fly. on 12/04/2013 07:19:08 MST Print View

i have several pair of running tights (including patagonia), none of which have a fly. i also have several pairs of under armour heatgear boxer briefs, which do not have a fly. ua also makes men's tights and leggings that are sans fly. my favoirte style of fly in technical outerwear are the ones that go from bottom up as well as from top down so your waist belt or climbing harness doesn't get in the way of the zipper.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Flywork on 12/04/2013 07:37:58 MST Print View

Delmar,
A lot of men's compression shorts will not have a fly. I can only vouch for Underarmour since I have it, but I know I've seen other brands in stores without. Another option is underwear marketed to gay men. If you're considering women's underwear already, I assume the Undergear catalog won't be an affront to you. Plus they also come in fun colors. :)

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 08:11:37 MST Print View

"Why oh why did they put a fly on the undies that covers my willy?
I can bend and roll and still miss the hole, so the (w)hole thing seems rather silly.
What's even worse, and seems like a curse, is the damn thing won't even catch leaks!
So I'd prefer, I suppose, if they just made them closed, and leave flies for the stream beds and creeks...."

Hey Doug, put a sock in it! (so to speak)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 08:21:51 MST Print View

"Hey Doug, put a sock in it! (so to speak)"

Okay, but remember, you told me to....

Why not just use a sock to cover your ..... stock? Seems like it'd work just as well.
Wool would be keen, but don't use neoprene. That's one place you don't want VBL....

AJ Groff
(AJGroff) - F

Locale: Midwest
The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 08:45:01 MST Print View

+1 on the Paradox brand at Costco. Although they don't have much wool, they have no fly, and seem to have held well for me the last couple years.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer on 12/04/2013 08:48:44 MST Print View

I prefer mine without the fly :)

scree ride
(scree)
DEET on 12/04/2013 08:52:44 MST Print View

and a good bath. No more flies.

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer on 12/04/2013 09:24:14 MST Print View

I once got a snowboarding polyester baselayer by brand: http://www.hotchillys.com
it was no fly.

you can also look into the spandex leggings that ballet ballerina dudes wear. I don't know what those dudes call themselves. but they wouldn't have a front fly with their bottom outfit.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Poet Laureate on 12/04/2013 09:30:40 MST Print View

A truly informative and entertaining thread.

I'd like to nominate Doug I. as poet laureate of BPL, do I hear a second?

VA S
(VA) - F
Try some! on 12/04/2013 09:48:18 MST Print View

Ok, lady chiming in. For MOST of my outdoors clothes I buy men's stuff - bought a men's 800 fp hoodie just last night - and always have. I am 5'11" with broad shoulders and most men's stuff just fits better... BUT I HATE MEN'S base layers! I tried a pair of my ex's once in a cold situation...while I did wear them - hate to be cold - I hated the extra material and SPACE, lol. I think you should just buy a few pair of women's long underwear and give it a shot. I ADORE my Pat. Cap4 baselayers....warm, stretchy and low-rise.

Good luck!

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Low-rise Waistline on 12/04/2013 10:19:53 MST Print View

That brings up a good point.

Why do I want all the waistlines lining up at exactly the same point, anyway? Why not allow the baselayer to be low-rise?

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Low-rise Waistline on 12/04/2013 11:28:38 MST Print View

Because depending on the size/shape of your butt, low rise could mean "slips down and requires constant hiking up." Something to consider.

VA S
(VA) - F
agreed - like low rise on 12/04/2013 12:20:21 MST Print View

I agree that having all my waist bands lined up - or worse - my base layer waist ABOVE my pants waist, is not a good thing. Yeah, you don't want toooo low, but low enough to not have 'bunching'. For me, that means I wouldn't buy base layers in the 'Junior' or 'teen' area of a store....not that they sell them(?)But I think any reputable brand will consider that most of us don't have quite the girlish figure we used too, lol. )Even being pretty tall the average low-rise base layer is not all that low...) But, again, when I read the reviews on say, Sierra Trading I avoid anything that says it rides high.

Edited by VA on 12/04/2013 12:20:59 MST.

Buck Nelson
(Colter) - MLife

Locale: Alaska
Is it a problem or a peeve? on 12/04/2013 12:39:42 MST Print View

On most of my baselayers I immediately sew up the fly, but am still left with an unnecessary wad of triple layer fabric in the front.

I just looked at several sets of long underwear bottoms. All the flies were two layer. Do you really have triple layer flies?

If you feel the fly is unnecessary, that's totally your call. But why do you want to sew up the fly? Is maybe four square inches of doubled insulation (in likely the best place to have doubled insulation) really a significant problem, or just one of things that peeve a person?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: The Other Fly --The Ridiculous One in your Baselayer on 12/04/2013 17:14:29 MST Print View

"Do other guys really use these?"

Oh yeah, a lot.

"What's wrong with just pulling down your pants? That's more reasonable than asking your unit to take two or three reverse bends!"

In the winter in sub freezing weather, with a 30 mph wind? Try it once and then ask the unit. After it thaws out. I'll bet it would volunteer to do a half dozen reverse bends before it went out in that kind of cold again.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Not something I get excited about. on 12/04/2013 17:18:08 MST Print View

"I've often added a layer in the fly area and I know many other men who do as well."

I used to use a pair of briefs with a GoreTex patch sewn into the crotch by the manufacturer. Worked like a charm, and it had a fly.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 17:27:38 MST Print View

"Hey Doug, put a sock in it! (so to speak)"

Caution some folks may find this link offensive, but the sock has met the local tests for civility.

The Sock

:)

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: The Other Fly on 12/04/2013 17:39:51 MST Print View

Don't google "codpiece"

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Cross Examination on 12/04/2013 18:02:06 MST Print View

Gee, Buck, you sound so incredulous! You’re not practicing to be an attorney, are you? To answer a few of your questions:

> Do you really have triple layer flies?

Uh…yeah. You’re forgetting the turned over hem, aren’t you? On the piece I’m examining right now, in some places the fly is FIVE layers thick, where a turned hem crosses under a seam. Makes for a bunched wad of fabric in all the wrong areas, if you ask me.

> But why do you want to sew up the fly?

You’ve never gotten yours unintentionally hung up in the fly mechanism? Maybe we’re anatomically different, but this happens to me a fair amount. Even though I don't use the fly, it is a lurking trap door. You fly-boys are aware that lots of mens briefs are made withOUT the trap door these days? Might even say it's something of a trend.

> ...really a significant problem, or just one of things that peeve a person?

How do I answer that? You say poe-tay-toe, I say puh-tat-oah, It’s irritating enough I am looking for alternatives. Satisfactory?

You cold weather guys have given me a different perspective on the fly, though. I seldom carry my unit into really cold weather (being a desert dweller myself) and I can see that manifold layers of insulation, and a tiny trap door for access, and maybe even a gore-tex vestibule, might actually come in handy in sub-freezing weather. So, point taken, metaphorically speaking.

Since this thread got so much attention, I did a bit of research and found another hilarious thread, where 228 people voted on whether they use the fly for urination (including apparently 32 women who voted). In the longstanding tradition of open-mindedness and a profound respect of diversity, the thread is primarily devoted to abusing and mocking people who pee differently than themselves:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=631563

Let’s just say that the fly has been manfully defended in this thread. You like ‘em, I don’t, and I guess I’ll be buying women’s underwear. Now if I can just keep ‘em away from the wife.

PS: Thanks to all who submitted flyless alternatives, I'll be checking those out.

Edited by Bolster on 12/04/2013 18:18:00 MST.