Forum Index » GEAR » Searching for a new pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re narrowed it down on 12/09/2013 21:31:19 MST Print View

Did HMG offer to make you a pack in dyneema or full spectra? If they did I'd be curious how much the full spectra version would cost.

I have a 150 d Porter on order and it should be here tomorrow. I'll try to post my impressions when I get it.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

HMG Update on 12/10/2013 19:01:02 MST Print View

Just got my HMG Porter 3400 today. Due to a pulled muscle in my back I can't really comment on comfort with a load. Right now nothing feels comfortable.

I can tell you the 150 d feels very sturdy and stiff. It is stiffer then heavy duty X-Pac I'd say. Having a tall roll top is annoying with such stiff cloth. If I did it again I'd most definitely get the 2400 with its shorter roll top. The 50 d cloth is not so stiff but that is not what you're looking at.

Other then the roll top its a nice pack. If a feel better in the next few days I may load it up and compare it to my Exped Lighting. Speaking of the Exped its a similarly sized pack and it has a very nice hipbelt. Just looking at them I'm inclined to think the Exped might be a hair more comfortable with heavy loads due to the hipbelt design. We'll just have to wait and see.

A D
(Wenty)
thanks on 12/10/2013 19:28:29 MST Print View

Thanks for the update Luke.
HMG are willing to do a full spectra one, but the price was getting up there towards Mchale territory.

I tried on an Exped Lightning 45 on the weekend. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, with a near identical harness to my current One Planet Shadow. Unfortunately the webbing where the shoulder straps join the stay stuck into my back. I tried three of the same model incase it was just a one-off dodgy sewing job, but all were the same. A real shame as it looks like a great pack otherwise.

How does the construction look on your new porter? Do you know if they changed the seam type since Ryan did his review?

scree ride
(scree)
Re: narrowed it down on 12/10/2013 20:02:20 MST Print View

I went with the HMG for the greater load capacity and for the Cuben. The stays are a bit heavier and the belt is a little stiffer. For a smaller pack in Dyneema, I'd go with Zimmerbuilt. I don't have enough money or get enough use to excuse a Mchale for myself. Besides, I'd be afraid to get it dirty.

Edited by scree on 12/10/2013 20:06:09 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Thanks on 12/10/2013 20:29:59 MST Print View

I don't know if it would help but its easy to take the stay out of the Exped and bend it to fit your back better. I really, really liked mine. A review is coming at some point.

Construction on the HMG Porter looks pretty good, the seams seem to be the original type but they have pretty heavy duty tape over them and the compression straps are reinforced so they shouldn't blow out like they did on the earlier packs.

I like the hipbelt too. Its not as padded as the Exped's but it locks the pack in place way better then most other UL packs with a frame.

Over all I really like it but I wish I'd ordered a Porter 2400. This one is just big my needs, I'll probably never use all the volume and the long strap length and huge roll top is a bit annoying. I might add Velcro rolls to mine like on the Exped Lighting. That would tame the strap length while leaving it there for possible mountaineering or packrafting trips in the future.

If you don't mind my asking just how much did they want for the spectra pack?

Edited by Cameron on 12/10/2013 20:35:19 MST.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re Thanks on 12/10/2013 21:16:59 MST Print View

Luke, if you keep using the Porter and find the high roll top annoying, I bet HMG could shorten that for you. As I understand it, the high extension collar is the only difference in volume between the two packs.

I should also mention that the 50D cuben-hybrid stuff softens substantially over time. I don't know about the 150D, but it may become less of an issue after some use. Personally, I was surprised at how soft and pliable my older Porter's fabric has become when comparing it to a new one.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 12/10/2013 21:18:27 MST.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Re Re Thanks on 12/10/2013 22:27:06 MST Print View

Thanks Clayton. I'll probably give them a call soon and see if they can shorten it. If they can I'll seriously look into that. I love the pack but I don't see how I'd every use that whole extension caller.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Searching for a new pack" on 12/10/2013 23:19:22 MST Print View

I don't know if it would help but its easy to take the stay out of the Exped and bend it to fit your back better.

I did this and am overall pleased with the Exped 60.

A D
(Wenty)
Full spectra on 12/11/2013 01:40:14 MST Print View

Hi Luke, full spectra was around $470 from memory.
I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the porter once you're back to full health.
Is the extension collar the only difference between the two packs? Back length is the same?
I've been looking at day packs in my search for a pack, but they all have waist belts rather than hip belts. I'm assuming the smaller porters belt still sits on the hips.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: Full spectra on 12/11/2013 08:47:11 MST Print View

The HMG 2400 and up are sized for your torso.
The 2400 and the 3400 have the same circumference, but different heights.
I'd go with a 2400. Remember, you can always add pockets. If you want more support, add the framesheet. Using the 150D, it would be bombproof. I find the 50D with the 150D bottom plenty strong. A little rougher sewn than Zimmerbuilt but good quality.
Really the one shown in a another recent thread looks to be what you may be asking for, minus the mesh of course.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85121

I find the collar on the 4400 a little annoying. I don't want to hassle with getting it shortened at this point. It's not that annoying.
I found a REI shopping bag fits well inside the pack. I can just pack the bag and pull it in and out of the pack. A stuff bag would work the same, but the open top is nice and makes it easier to organize. I just need a lighter Cuben version.

A D
(Wenty)
Thanks on 12/11/2013 11:52:40 MST Print View

Thanks for the info screeride

scree ride
(scree)
ZB2 on 12/11/2013 15:57:33 MST Print View

ZB2
1 compartment
4 daisy chains
2 stays
black Xpac
2,000 c.i.
35 ounces with stays
HMG Icepack belt

A D
(Wenty)
pack on 12/11/2013 17:14:45 MST Print View

that pack looks fantastic.
Does it have a lumbar pad that the HMG belt slides through?
Also, dual stays as opposed to the rectangle stay that Zimmer and ULA normally use?

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Re Full Spectra on 12/11/2013 17:29:51 MST Print View

I was feeling a bit better so I put a few things in the pack and tried it on. First I like the hipbelt. Its stiffer and does a better job of supporting the pack then any other UL cottage pack I've tried (yes that includes Zimmerbuilt packs). For me personally I thought the Exped Lighting MIGHT fit a tad better around the waist. But that is a highly personal thing, it might be the Porter will fit you better.

I'd second the suggestion to get the Porter 2400. I think its a tad more narrow at the top but not by much. Most of the extra volume of the 3400 seems to be in the collar which is downright huge. It probably takes 10 or 12 rolls at least to close it with the kind of load I normally carry.

With all the daisy straps on the Porter 2400 you could easily strap a few things on back there if you had a huge load.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Porter Hipbelt on 12/11/2013 19:14:30 MST Print View

One thing to think about with the 2400 Porter is that HMG uses a thinner foam with the shoulder straps and hipbelt than the 3400. It shouldn't be a problem to have them use the thicker foam, but it's just something to make sure you have taken care of.

One mod I had them do for me is to put the Ice Pack belt on my Porter, which I think provides just a bit better carry than the regular Porter belt. I like having the stiff foam fully wrap my waist.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: pack on 12/11/2013 19:31:11 MST Print View

You're right, it is a rectangular stay. The HMG belt slides through the lumber pad.A piece of Velcro hold it in place. The old HMG belt had adjustment straps, so I had Chris put ladder locks on both sides of the pack. The new belt doesn't have the straps. It also has two ice axe loops if you don't go for the pockets. It is stiffer than the belts I've got from Chris. The daisies have the same spacing as the Porter so the Porter Stuff Pocket will fit. It should be good for 30-35 pounds. I haven't used it. It's a gift.