Burning ends of things
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Exactly what I was looking for!! on 11/29/2013 14:07:29 MST Print View

Hi Jennifer

> the tips kind of glow a bit, then just turn black. Which crumbles away, and i still
> have a frayed end
All is explained. Yeah, I suspected thiis would be the case.

What you have is not what you expected. The sheath is fine (some sort of meltable plastic), but the core is a different material. It could be cotton (unlikely) or it could more likely be rayon (cellulose acetate). These latter do not melt: they char.

Why is the cord made like this? There are two reasons. The first is cost: a rayon core is much cheaper than a Dacron or Spectra one. It may not be the main reason however. The second reason is what we call 'handle'. The softer core makes the string handle differently: usually softer and easier to work with. I will add that some steel cables also have a cotton or hemp core for the same reason: improved handle.

Well, that's all very well, but what should you do? You have several options.

1) Melt the end with a hot knife or soldering iron or similar (but NOT a flame) and press the molten sheath plastic into the rayon core - which may not melt. This keeps the core and sheath together, which is desirable. Gloves or tools are usful here and avoid burt fingers!

2) Work a tiny bit of epoxy or other glue into the end so it looks like the end of a shoe lace - again getting it into the core to anchor it to the sheath.

3) Peel the sheath back a bit, cut off 5 mm of the core, pull the sheath back out and melt it. This is quick and dirty, and can result in the core bunching up inside the sheath in a lumpy manner later on. I don't like it.

A report on your results would be useful to others.

Cheers

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: Re: Burning ends of things on 11/29/2013 15:13:05 MST Print View

I make a knot at the end of the string.
negotiate and adjust so that the knot is almost at the very end.
gently carress with the flame, on and off, mostly off. touch and go.
if the rope material is smoking, it's already too hot.
they are turning black ash and crumble because of too much heat.
brute force is overkill.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
glue on 11/29/2013 23:04:02 MST Print View

Dollar store epoxy glue and, as mentioned earlier, soak and shape into a shoelace end, while wearing disposable gloves.