Forum Index » GEAR » patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing? on 11/26/2013 18:31:27 MST Print View

Can someone please tell me... what is the sizing/cut like on the Patagonia r-1?

thanks,

Billy Ray

Steve G
(sgrobben) - M

Locale: Ohio
Re: patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing? on 11/26/2013 19:05:16 MST Print View

I'm 6'5" 225# and the Large fits nearly perfectly with a base layer underneath. Arms and body are nice and long, cut is a good balance between slim and roomy in my experience.

Edit: I have the hoody pull-over.

Edited by sgrobben on 11/26/2013 19:06:28 MST.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Also for the R1 hoody on 11/26/2013 19:19:47 MST Print View

The medium hoody almost worked for me but I needed a large because the medium was too tight under the armpits. I'm 180lbs, 5' 10" tall, with a 23 1/2" head, a 16 1/2" neck, a 44" chest, and a 38" waist at the largest point of my stomach.

Does anyone know if the pullover has the same fit as the hoody?

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing? on 11/26/2013 19:24:56 MST Print View

I'm 5'10" and 165lbs and the Medium fits me pretty well. I have one R1 pullover from about 2008 that has longer arms and is a bit looser in the chest than an R1 pullover that I purchased last year, which is a slimmer fit all around.

I'm actually really surprised that a Large fits Steve, the poster above, but fit is such a personal thing that's there's really no telling.

I think what you might be asking are generalities about the R1 pullover's fit? I would say that the newest version of the pullover has a rather slim fit. Not skin tight but not loose either. I find that it works well under a shell but, things are pretty snug with my capilene 2 crew top on underneath the R1 pullover. I personally wish it was just a bit less snug, but that's just me.

Edited by dmusashe on 11/26/2013 19:26:21 MST.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Report after buying R-1 on 12/07/2013 09:32:01 MST Print View

Well. Somehow from some of the posts I got the idea in my head that the R1 would be more or less a regular fit (yes some said slim fit, but I thin one said average). Anyway it came with a tag on it that said 'slim fit'. Typically I can wear a slim fit. And this would have been fine except that under the arm pits it is too snug... strange cut. This may be a new style of cut for designers because I noticed that the REI Powerflyte has the same issue of being too tight under the arms.

I'm also disappointed in the weight. I have a 2 or 3 year old REI similar mid layer and it is a full 2 oz lighter than the R1... same size. You would think that with the grid fleece it would be lighter, but maybe it's all those strange seams that seem to go every which way that add the weight.

Anyway, I'll be returning this one.

Billy

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Report after buying R-1 on 12/07/2013 09:40:09 MST Print View

Reading some of the feedback on the Patagonia web site leaves me with the impression that they have slimmed down some of the base layer designs.

As to R1 weighing more, it is fairly dense stuff, and the smooth face weave adds to it. In my experience it compares to Power Stretch for weight.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Re: Report after buying R-1 on 12/07/2013 11:38:09 MST Print View

BD capilene 1 says slim fit and fits me perfect

BD capilent 2 says slim fit and is too tight, especially around the neck.

BD R-1 says slim fit and is too tight around the arm pits...

I guess it all depends on which Chinese town they're made it?

frustrating...

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Re: Report after buying R-1 on 12/07/2013 12:24:23 MST Print View

I have two R1 pullovers in medium, both fit reasonably. The R1 Hoody in medium, on the other hand, fits fairly close to skin, and is pretty snug on my forearms.

I suspect the tighter fit of the hoody is due to its "alpine climbing" target user. Also, smaller (i.e. higher) armholes allow better overhead reach. (Fred Astaire's suits also had this, so they wouldn't rise up when he raised his arms.)

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Report after buying R-1 on 12/07/2013 13:12:58 MST Print View

More likely the skinny guys in China sized the shoulder area for themselves and BD's marketing department put a spin on the mistake to make it sound like they did some special design.

In my view the R1 is too heavy, too much a patchwork sewn together with too many seams, poor cut in the shoulders, too slim in the sleeves, and WAY over priced.

Mind you that I am a slim build with slight shoulders. If it's too tight for me, then I think many buyers would experience the same if not worse.

And, BTW, I still do some climbing, but don't see the utility in this shirt.

Amazing how such a poor product can become popular and command such a high price.

Billy

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Mec on 12/07/2013 13:42:02 MST Print View

Grid fleeces DO work ... They are breathable, durable, wicking ... And if you get past the "brands" not very expensive

They arent meant to be lighter than an equivalent fleece ... They are meant to be better for active use

The "problem" is that all these "top brands" charge and arm and a leg for these fleeces ... There is absolutely and utterly no reason why a powerdry grid fleece should cost 100$+ other than marketing and the people who fall for it

MEC makes their T2/3 in CANADA with powerdry for 50-70$ with a no questions asked warrany and gives 1% back to the planet

Ll beans makes powerdry fleeces as well for a good price

And if you are willing to buy more generic versions you can get em for 20-30$ ... I suspect those will work just as fine for ehat most people do

In fact for most people here a sinple cheap 100 wt fleeces will work just fine ... U dont "need" a grid fleece, many brands didnt have them till recently and thie sponsored climbers did things just as well as patagucci ones

A few years ago anything fleece and synth was pooh poohed here on BPL ... I think that its swung too much the other way now IMO

Im a fan of fleece ... But it has its limitations .... And you definitely shouldnt be spending more than 60-80$ for the very top quality ones ....

It should generally be under 50$

;)

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 12/07/2013 14:18:15 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 01/16/2014 21:32:53 MST.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing on 12/07/2013 14:35:25 MST Print View

rOg w

it appear you are one of those who have 'drunk the cool-aid', so to speak :)

A bad fit is a bad fit, regardless of use or intended use.

And overpriced is overpriced, regardless of use

You are most welcome to your R1

I will go for something half the price, lighter weight, just as functional and use it for both backpacking and climbing...

Billy

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 12/07/2013 14:53:59 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 01/16/2014 21:32:15 MST.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing on 12/07/2013 15:00:50 MST Print View

rOg w

It could be they changed the cut at some point... or had a bad run..
because I am slight of build and it is WAY too tight for my shoulders... and that almost never happens when I try something on... which makes me think there are a TON of other people that will have problems with the fit... which is why I bring it up for any others here who are potential buyers... to help them avoid the return process that I now need to go through...

Yes... C and BD will always be connected in my mind... my mistake...

Billy

Derek M.
(dmusashe) - M

Re: Re: patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing on 12/07/2013 15:30:27 MST Print View

rOg w and Billy Ray,
I think you are both right in many respects. rOg w's contention about the origins (and therefore the initial intended purpose) of the R1 sheds light on many of the design elements that are present, including the slimness of the fit.

But I also agree with Billy Ray that the sizing of the pieces is a bit weird. Mainly, I have seen a rather large amount of variability in sizing from Patagonia in the last 10 years. To the point where I hesitate to buy any of their stuff online without trying it on first. In my experience, when you try on a medium cap 1 t-shirt, a medium R1 pullover, a medium R2 jacket, and medium sun shade shirt, a medium ultralight down hoody, you might be forgiving for thinking they were all designed for different sized people (I just mention these because I have tried them all on, and own a few of them).

My biggest gripe with Patagonia these days is the issue of sizing. It's just so all over the place for me personally that it can be a bit of a hassle trying to find a size that will work.

This to compares, with say, Arc'Teryx or Marmot, whose sizing I have found to be very, very consistent, even from year to year.

Edited by dmusashe on 12/07/2013 15:31:38 MST.

Jeff Jeff
(TwoFortyJeff) - F
Re: patagonia R-1 pull-over sizing? on 12/08/2013 14:21:34 MST Print View

FYI, the sizing changes every year. I own two different sizes, each from different years. It's best to try them on in person.

Zard Oz
(tyemax2) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Sizing? on 01/07/2014 16:21:11 MST Print View

Jeff nailed it. I have two r-1 pull overs both large six years apart and the fit is completely different. Try them on before you buy if possible. Also Patagonia has different fits and these are written in the tags/descriptions. The latest r-1 is a Slim fit. I suspect the old ones were a regular fit. Ironically the current r-1 pants are a regular fit.
I use my R-1 in cold wet conditions or when I'm bush whacking in dense underbrush. For me anything over 50 degrees is to hot for it. In which case I have a Mac PAC merino hoody which I wear.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Sizing? on 01/07/2014 16:25:33 MST Print View

Thanks Zard, but too late for me. I returned the R-1... didn't like the fit... and really didn't like the cut or the style either... or the weight.

CampSaver was good about giving me a full refund... including return postage.

Billy