0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove on 07/04/2007 19:41:25 MDT Print View

0.55 OZ (15.6 gram) upright screw canister stove, made from Aluminum, Titanium, Brass and Beryllium Copper wire, except for the jet every part is designed and hand made, the jet has been modified. The valve assembly weighs 7 grams and the burner head, pot supports and tube weighs in at 8.6 grams.

The stove has been designed as a minimalist stove for a small pot or metal mug. Despite its lightweight it is surprisingly robust. The radius of the pot supports is probably a little small but they give a good grip on the bottom of the pot and in testing it does not seem to be a problem.

Designed into the valve is an adjustable flow restrictor so the stove can be tuned for optimal performance at maximum flame to save fuel.

What I would like is a smaller lighter screw canister, that would make the weight of this stove very competitive weight wise with the lightest Alcohol stove.

Initial testing shows that it uses about 5-6 grams of fuel to boil 0.5L water so using a 100g canister it could give between 8-10L of boiled water. The dead weight of the stove and empty canister is about 105 grams.

15 grams stove
15g stove 3
15 grams stove 2
15g stove 4

mark cole
(marklivia)
Re: 0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove on 07/04/2007 21:14:38 MDT Print View

Awesome, simply awesome. Too bad it can't be bought (sigh).

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Re: 0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove on 07/05/2007 11:38:36 MDT Print View

Are you able to show us what the flame pattern looks like under a pot? Also one without a pot.

Is the valve assembly die cast aluminum?

Edited by zelph on 07/05/2007 11:43:39 MDT.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove on 07/05/2007 12:02:59 MDT Print View

Awesome Job!!!!! Looks like we have a seasoned machinist on our hands. Is this a hobby, or a job? I've got a machine shop myself, so this project is very motivational for me. A few questions...

Are those pot supports "press fit" into the holes?
What are the pot supports made of?
Which stove did you use the existing parts from?

Might be looking into doing something like this myslef...unless of course you begin to sell them, in which case I'll sit back on the couch and pull out my credit card.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: 0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove on 07/05/2007 13:37:27 MDT Print View

O.K.
The stove is awesome, but why go through all that work for the weight savings and then throw a Jetboil on top of it?

Kind of contradicts its self from the savings.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Too bad it can't be bought on 07/05/2007 16:10:09 MDT Print View

Hi Mark,

"Too bad it can't be bought (sigh)"

It is not what I had in mind but I will look into making some for to sale, with some design changes and using stock material sizes it might be easier, cheaper and quicker to make, sourcing Titanium in Australia can be a problem though. This will take time.

Tony

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

flame pattern looks like on 07/05/2007 16:30:44 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

Here are some photos of the flame.

The valve body is machined out of a solid piece of aluminium.

Tony

flame no pot
flame with pot

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

pot supports on 07/05/2007 16:41:42 MDT Print View

Hi Steven,

This is my hobby, my job is a Technician in a University Research lab designing and making scientific instruments.

The pot supports are screwed in and are made from Titanium (REI Ti tent pegs).

The only part that I did not make is the jet, which is a replacement jet, purchased from my local camping store for A$3, I have modified it to suit the stove.

Tony

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

then throw a Jetboil on top of it on 07/05/2007 16:47:34 MDT Print View

Hi Aaron,

"The stove is awesome, but why go through all that work for the weight savings and then throw a Jetboil on top of it?

Kind of contradicts its self from the savings."

The stove was not designed for a Jetboil pot it was designed for a small pot or mug but the JB pot fitted, try puting a Jet boil pot on top of a Pocket Rocket.

Tony

Edited by tbeasley on 07/05/2007 16:53:08 MDT.

mark cole
(marklivia)
Re: pot supports on 07/05/2007 18:49:07 MDT Print View

Email me if you go ahead...I'm officially first in line.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
nice! on 07/05/2007 19:06:25 MDT Print View

Beatiful craftsmanship!

Todd

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: 0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove on 07/05/2007 19:21:03 MDT Print View

Tony:::: The flame photos are awsome and are worth a thousand words. Thank You Much

What do estimate the cost to machine your first 10 piece production lot? Would it be in the same range as the Pocket Rocket?

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

estimate the cost to machine on 07/05/2007 20:02:58 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

"What do estimate the cost to machine your first 10 piece production lot? Would it be in the same range as the Pocket Rocket?"

The Pocket Rocket US$40 the SnoPeak GP manual $40 the Snowpeak manual GPTi $65, I cannot compete and I do not want to. For a run of ten here in Australia it would probably cost me $40 for the materials Ti is not cheap here plus there would be many hours labour.

For most hi tech gear the lighter it is the more expensive it is.

I design and make these stoves for my hobby and I do not have expertise in manufacturing.

Tony

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: estimate the cost to machine on 07/05/2007 20:19:23 MDT Print View

""I design and make these stoves for my hobby and I do not have expertise in manufacturing.""

You have a very interesting hobby and you do very well at expressing your hobby. Thanmk You for sharing with us. I also have the same hobby and I love it!!!!!!

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

also have the same hobby and I love it!!!!!! on 07/05/2007 22:14:21 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

I have been following your 45g wood burning stove thread with interest, I think it is a very cleaver design and would like to thank you for sharing it.

Tony

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

0.5oz canister Gas stove on 07/09/2007 19:04:11 MDT Print View

This is an update on my ultra light upright canister stove, it now weighs 0.5 ounces or 14.2 grams (14.1994g). I have decided to call it the 05OZG Stove (0.5 ounce gas stove).

The further weight reductions that I have achieved have been done with no reduction in the structural integrity of the stove.

I would like to thank Yukio Yamakawa whose wonderful stove designing is one of my inspirations.

0.5 oz gas stove

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: 0.5oz canister Gas stove on 07/09/2007 20:24:52 MDT Print View

Really nice!!!!! Do you use a carbide or diamond bit on the Titanium?

I'm inspired to start using my Watchmakers lathe.Purchased two years ago at garage sale for $20.00. Included a 3 jaw chuck and about 30 collets. Something for the winter months.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Re:Re: 0.5oz canister Gas stove on 07/09/2007 22:42:31 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

“Do you use a carbide or diamond bit on the Titanium?”

I mostly use High Speed Steel on Ti but some times with difficulty. The pot supports are REI tent pegs and they machined quite well with HSS, the mixing tube and needle valve are from a Titanium valve stem and was not as easily machined but with sharp tools and drills I managed. The burner plate which is 0.5mm/0.020 inches thick if from a piece of Titanium bar that had been rolled and was very hard I had to use a carbide tool to initially get under the surface then I drilled the holes with a normal HSS drill but then I had the plate parted off with a wire cutter.

One of the groups at my work does research on ceramic and diamond tools and I have seen what they can do. I have seen a ceramic CBN tool easily machine hardened bearing steel then I witnessed a piece of CBN being machined by a diamond tool.

$20 for a jewellers lathe was a bargain

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re:Re: 0.5oz canister Gas stove on 07/10/2007 12:05:39 MDT Print View

Yes, the lathe was a super bargain.

Keep shaving the grams!!!!!

Edited by zelph on 07/10/2007 12:10:02 MDT.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Re:Watchmakers lathe on 07/10/2007 17:49:24 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

What make is the lathe, I have a Lorch jewellers/watchmakers lathe in my lab workshop a very nice little lathe except it the hand feeds screws are the opposite direction to normal and it takes a bit to get used to when I start to use it.

Tony