Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS: Yellow MLD Trailstar

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
FS: Yellow MLD Trailstar on 11/26/2013 07:55:30 MST Print View

*SOLD*

Up for sale is a used yellow Trailstar in good condition. Seam sealed, comes with original stuff sack, MLD cordage, and Lawson Equipment orange glowire for 9 out of 10 lines (used original cordage for the longer doorway line). First $150 paypal gift takes it (shipped in CONUS).

Edited by norcalweaver on 11/29/2013 20:58:05 MST.

Andrey Danilkin
(anddan) - F

Locale: Canada
FS: Yellow MLD Trailstar on 11/26/2013 08:03:27 MST Print View

PM sent

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Buyer backed out... on 11/26/2013 15:06:26 MST Print View

Still available.

Jeffeory Van Meter
(jeffeory@gmail.com) - M

Locale: North Texas
Trailstar questions.... on 11/27/2013 10:07:21 MST Print View

BPLers,

With the help of BPL reading, I've been contemplating the move to a tarp setup from a mid for a good while. The Trailstar looks to fit the bill well between both designs.

So then, why have there been so many catch and release trailstars on Gear Swap? Matt, what was it about this one that is not working for you? I'm not looking to hijack your sale, just hoping to be an educated buyer, so it doesn't land back on Gear Swap!

What it is about these that seem so alluring, then in practice don't work out for many of us. Maybe my perception is off, and there are thousands of happy TS users out there! (Happy TS users, please chime in here) I hope so, because I'd really like to count it as a contender to lighten my pack!

Your input is appreciated!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Trailstar questions.... on 11/27/2013 10:46:29 MST Print View

I sold one and regret it!

I did so (actually traded) to get a summer quilt that I have been wanting and I have a lot of shelters soooooo...

To your question. There have been several up for sale that's for sure. But there are a ton out there getting loved. The two main issues, as I see them, are the footprint size and the fact that it is a tarp.

Some need a smaller footprint. Some just don't like tarps.

The benefits of this shelter are great - so buy this one! :)

PS: I have also read that the cuben version is a bit harder to keep taut.

Aaron Croft
(aaronufl) - M

Locale: Alaska
Answer... on 11/27/2013 12:29:37 MST Print View

I enjoyed my trailstar, but found that livability was important to me than just wind performance. I'm finding a large mid to be a bit more versatile. You can open up the door if you want a view, close it up if it is howling outside. More usable space and headroom. I still think the trailstar is a great shelter, though!

Robb Watts
(rwatts) - M

Locale: Western PA
Trailstar on 11/27/2013 13:32:32 MST Print View

I'm a long time, 4 season tarp user here in the northeast. This October I spent 5 nights in a Trailstar in the Roaring Plains area of WV (just off the Rim Trail). The first night was the only night it didn't rain but it made up for that with high winds and low temperatures.
Gotta say, the Trailstar is just about ideal for 2 people, a dog or two and all your gear spread out like a yard sale. Very secure, good wind/rain protection, easy to erect. With the windward side staked low to the ground, the shelter feels more like a tent with a big open front door. Brilliant little shelter

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Re: Re: Trailstar questions.... on 11/27/2013 17:37:16 MST Print View

My answer as to why I'm selling this tarp, is that the footprint is just too large for the areas that I hike in. I picked up the trailstar with the mindset of trying it on for size with no real intention to hold on to it and "make it work" if I felt that it was too big for my needs. I love the design and spaciousness of it. Most of the time I hike with a small group of friends and we like to set up camp in near proximity of each other. I'm over 6' and use a hexamid solo majority of the time, and about half the time I have difficulty finding enough space to set it up (I'm usually in dense wooded areas). So if I have a hard time finding the space for a hexamid, it's near impossible to find the space for a trailstar in the scenarios that I hike in. I bought the trailstar a little early with the intentions of eventually using it with my two little infants when they're of age to go hiking with me, but that is a ways off and if I'm not going to be using it until then, it doesn't make much sense for me to hold on to it.

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Re: Trailstar on 11/28/2013 23:39:00 MST Print View

$150 Trailstar, packed and ready to ship!

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Price drop... on 11/29/2013 19:41:42 MST Print View

In honor of this day of fighting temptation to spend what little money many of us have, let's do a final price drop down to $125. If it doesn't sell for that then I have zero moral issues holding on to this for a couple more years until I can take my kids with. That's stupid cheap for a Trailstar in great shape.

Rick Adams
(rickadams100) - M
trailstar on 11/29/2013 19:45:53 MST Print View

i'll take it...what's your paypal address? Thanks Rick

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Re: trailstar on 11/29/2013 19:54:09 MST Print View

Will keep you updated Rick, had a PM shortly before your post.

Anthony Huhn
(anthonyjhuhn) - F - MLife

Locale: Mid West
Wow on 11/29/2013 20:21:23 MST Print View

Uhhh thirds? Is that a thing

Anthony

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Re: FS: Yellow MLD Trailstar on 11/29/2013 20:57:32 MST Print View

Sold.