Should BPL ads be censored?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/25/2013 21:53:16 MST Print View

I'm pretty sure if I posted any of the following gratuitously sexual photos in a forum, they would be taken down. And yet, these were all ads on BPL in the last 40 hours and hardly the most extreme of what I've seen in the last few weeks.

bathing suit 1

bathing suit 2

And then there was this, that for a week I thought was a bra to wear during Mardi Gras:

marti gras

(it's not actually a bra, but the thumbnail sure looks like it)

Interestingly, posting on a chaff thread about immigration causes this to pop up as an ad:

"USCIS Immigration Service www.immigrationdirect.com/USCIS Greencard, Citizenship, Visas Forms Prepare Immigration Applications" - some firm trying to appearing as a government agency and charging to fill out forms that any advocacy group would do for free.

All of which seems more extreme than my use of "fricking" that a topless moderator in day-glo pants deleted or arguing for civil rights for gay citizens that we couldn't do on BPL last year or discussing arsenic exposure in the past which seems WAY more relevant in Alaska and the inter-mountain western US than all the hand-wringing by non-chemist, non-epidemiologists going on about BPA in a Evian bottle.

Basically, why such different editorial policies on postings by flesh&bloods versus ads placed here goggle bots?

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/26/2013 00:43:39 MST Print View

Can the mods even filter these ads?

To my knowledge they are generated by a computer and are based both on the thread content and your internet history.

https://adblockplus.org/en/

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Dirty vibes on 11/26/2013 21:22:22 MST Print View

Humm, David.

Sometimes a swimsuit is just a swimsuit. Was that some kind of carnival mask you got a dirty vibe from? LOL

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/27/2013 06:51:02 MST Print View

"All of which seems more extreme than my use of "fricking" that a topless moderator in day-glo pants deleted or arguing for civil rights for gay citizens that we couldn't do on BPL last year or discussing arsenic exposure in the past which seems WAY more relevant in Alaska and the inter-mountain western US than all the hand-wringing by non-chemist, non-epidemiologists going on about BPA in a Evian bottle. Basically, why such different editorial policies on postings by flesh&bloods versus ads placed here goggle bots?"

Well, IMO, and it's only my opinion, the ads make this site owner money. Your and my posts, not so much. At least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me. BPL is simply following good ole American puritanical culture - it'll rail against profanity and nudity and such, while giving a wink and a nod to all of the images of violence and sex around us. Them there's good American family values, don't you know.

Edit: To be fair, BPL has taken some steps to curtail some of the more 'outrageous' ads - like the ones I posted in an earlier thread about the new ads.

Edited by idester on 11/27/2013 06:55:45 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/28/2013 18:56:58 MST Print View

All your ads are selected based on what you've been looking at

Like whenever I look at something on amazon, I'll start getting ads for that product

Why have you been looking at skimpy women's underwear Dave?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/28/2013 20:15:51 MST Print View

I clicked on that green thing and discovered it's a toy for kids, allowing them to see through "chameleon eyes"! National Geographic at work. Weird! It does look more like something invented for Madonna.

I ordered a couple of items from Campmor several months ago and both items are still popping up on the BPL ads

Edited by hikinggranny on 11/28/2013 20:18:36 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/28/2013 23:33:03 MST Print View

"I ordered a couple of items from Campmor several months ago and both items are still popping up on the BPL ads"

Or just look at something at rei.com or amazon.com or whatever, and then you'll start seeing ads for them.

We could "reverse engineer" and discover just how much "big brother" is watching us. Like if I said "MSR tent" in my text here, I don't think it'll show up in any ads. MSR tent MSR tent - better say it several times.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 11/29/2013 18:59:37 MST Print View

"I'm pretty sure if I posted any of the following gratuitously sexual photos in a forum, they would be taken down. And yet, these were all ads on BPL in the last 40 hours and hardly the most extreme of what I've seen in the last few weeks."

+1 I attracted some pretty raunchy ones, too, and finally tracked them back to when I linked to Haaretz, a prominent Israeli newspaper, to see what Israelis were saying about the P5+1-Iran negotiations. Actually, the chicks were pretty hot, but not exactly avatars of BPL's version of family values. They obviously have a different take back there where Western family values originated. I think Doug has it right. If you want an explanation of why just about anything happens in this country, follow the money. Brad Pitt uttered a great line in a recent gangster movie: America isn't a country, it's a business. I chuckled, but the more I thought about it, the more I began to wonder.....

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 07:35:55 MST Print View

"We could "reverse engineer" and discover just how much "big brother" is watching us. Like if I said "MSR tent" in my text here, I don't think it'll show up in any ads. MSR tent MSR tent - better say it several times."

Jerry -- more ways you are being tracked. "
New Technology Helps Stores Track Your Every Move This Season "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/30/stores-track-you_n_4363811.html

Pay cash and bring your Faraday bag.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 08:10:09 MST Print View

I haven't seen any ads for MSR tents so they must not look at text we type in.

I've heard about what that Huff Post article talked about. I have a "dumb phone" and don't generally carry it with me, so they can't track me when walking through store.

Someone sent me a text messsage saying they'de start charging me $10 a month if I didn't reply. I don't even know how to look at text messages. I started getting charged $10 a month. I called phone company and they turned off texting on my phone, backed out charges, and they won't be able to do it again because texting is turned off.

I don't care if they spy on me to pitch stuff to me.

Mostly, I'm just worried people will be charged with crimes for political reasons. Or politicians will illegally get intelligence on competitors like Watergate.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 08:22:57 MST Print View

For those who are interested, you can opt out of the targeted advertising. From the main forum screen and on whatever advertisement is at the top, click on the blue arrow at the top right of the advertisement and it will take you to an option to opt out.

Mind you that you'll still receive advertising and there's nothing saying that they won't collect your information so it's probably just an exercise in futility but thought I'd share it.

My most recent ad until I opted out was something about stoping world hunger. Sneaky bastards must've hacked my iTunes account and saw that I'm a U2 fan.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 16:48:36 MST Print View

"And then there was this, that for a week I thought was a bra to wear during Mardi Gras:

marti gras

(it's not actually a bra, but the thumbnail sure looks like it)"

Isn't that what Roger wears when he goes skiing?

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 20:28:05 MST Print View

Actually...no. First time I have seen the pics of the women that you posted but I am missing regularly seeing the image of the shocking French lesson girl. I tried googling her 10 times, but alas, it did not bring her back :-(

Edit: spelling: googling not goggling; LOL!

Edited by TrNameLucky on 12/01/2013 20:36:33 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 20:34:45 MST Print View

"shocking French lesson girl"

I get the swimsuit ads but how did I miss this?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 20:41:21 MST Print View

"Edit: spelling: googling not goggling; LOL!"

Yeah, right. You really meant that you tried ogling her 10 times.....

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 21:03:22 MST Print View

Ian,

I actually cut and pasted the shocking french video ad into a word doc to save her for prosperity in case the ads ever went away. The most recent version of Word, 2010 I think. I will gladly re-post it here if anyone can give me the technical how-to details.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/01/2013 21:54:02 MST Print View

I'm easily amused. I'll own that.

My new favorite (FWIW love my wife and not looking):

.For Doug

Edited by IDBLOOM on 12/01/2013 21:55:19 MST.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Now I'm seeing it! on 12/14/2013 22:59:28 MST Print View

OK, at first I was skeptical. But now, ever since reading David's OP a few weeks back I'm seeing it too! Like every other add now seems provocative. Way more obvious than David's examples, but then he did say he left out the worst ones. Not sure if my eyes are now open, or I've just been brainwashed.

Edited by millonas on 12/14/2013 23:00:21 MST.

John Hillyer
(TrNameLucky) - MLife
My favorite on 12/15/2013 16:20:42 MST Print View

My favorite

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Re: Should BPL ads be censored? on 12/16/2013 12:25:53 MST Print View

I'm perplexed that a thread about civil rights for gay citizens where deleted. Very sad.

You make a good point David. Thanks for raising the concern.

But still...i would like an option below "Show ads" to say "Only show bikini ads"...