Forum Index » Chaff » Well we haven't covered immigration this year...

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/28/2013 18:25:56 MST Print View

Prosecute people that hire illegals. Illegal immigration is way down now because of economic rescession increasing unemployment.

Make "E-Verify" work - if someone uses fake SSN the computer should immediately notify and employee released.

Make drugs legal and regulated.

People that have worked or gone to school here for many years should be allowed to stay one way or the other. We shouldn't let a politically motivated hysterical over-reaction deport all of them, which would be impossible. Too much useful work is being done and there wouldn't be others to do the work. If we let people stay for years, it's unfair to deport them now.

If people can't work here are bring in drugs, it will be easy to make border secure.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/29/2013 19:01:21 MST Print View

"Make drugs legal and regulated."

Uh......which ones?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Border run on 11/29/2013 19:30:19 MST Print View

"Last week we had four drug busts (and 2 million dollar bust in Nogales) on one night a mile below the section of the AZ Trail I was hiking. I reconned it basically, zipped on through 15 miles in 10 hours of no man's land as fast as I could go. I actually made that damn trail 20 years ago for the AZTA and the FS, so I figured I could do it short and slick. I was going to make two days of it but my sources called while I was out there and told me of more movement south"

Sounds like No Country for Old Men.

"and I found fresh track of a size 14 shoe so I turned on the afterburners and bailed at Patagonia."

Good idea. Anton Chigur doesn't distinguish between genders. He'd probably just ask, "If the path you chose led you to this place, what good then is the path?", and pull the trigger.

Cormac pretty much has it nailed. Things are coming unglued, and the end is not in sight. I truly feel for those of you who live in one of the more unglued areas, but at the same time have this sick feeling that up here in the relatively calm PNW it's just a matter of time.... It's a human problem that can only be solved by humans. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be up to it. Where are those damned aliens when we really need them?

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/29/2013 20:57:34 MST Print View

"Uh......which ones?"

Start with Marijuana

If that works then move to others like cocaine, heroin, and meth

Making them illegal just makes them worse. Probably possible to sell them legally but discourage use so it's less than now when they're illegal

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 09:10:26 MST Print View

legalize drugs....oh so libertarian and oh so impractical

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 09:19:11 MST Print View

"legalize drugs....oh so libertarian and oh so impractical"

We'll see how it goes with Marijuana

If legalizing heroin or whatever resulted in more use, then maybe it wouldn't be so good an idea, but it seems like the illegalization causes more problems than any drug effect

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 10:06:36 MST Print View

many hard drugs will never become legal because people cannot handle them. Simple as that. To think people are responsible enough to do so is rather ridiculous.

What does legalization of drugs and illegal immigration have in common? Nothing. Just arguments being made or certain members and their agendas being pushed. Nothing new really

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 10:18:56 MST Print View

Drug cartels and the violence associated with bringing drugs into this country gives all Mexicans that cross the border a bad rap. In this very thread drugs and violence were brought up as one of the bad things associated with "illegals".

There are countless articles and entire chapters in books dedicated to the connection. Hardly something new.

Edited by Kat_P on 11/30/2013 10:36:59 MST.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 10:39:52 MST Print View

"many hard drugs will never become legal because people cannot handle them. Simple as that."

I'm not saying hard drugs are good or that people should use them.

Just that we'de be better off it they were legal and sold in some controlled way. And you might be able to actually reduce usage.

Like, currently meth users break into cars and houses and steal stuff, and trade for drugs. If it was sold in controlled manner, they wouldn't accept stolen goods in trade for drugs.

"What does legalization of drugs and illegal immigration have in common?"

People bring illegal drugs across border. It's the same path as illegal immigration. The drug importers become powerful organizations doing all sorts of bad stuff including importing illegal immigrants.

If drugs were legal, there would be no cartels and the world would be better.

The damage from being illegal is worse than any damage from actually using the drugs, but if they were legal you might actually be able to reduce the damage from using the drugs.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 10:55:45 MST Print View

Here is a good read about the ethics of immigration. Article came out today.
I don't agree with everything the author writes, but reading articles like this can help broaden one's perspective.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/11/29/what-gives-us-a-right-to-deport-people-joseph-carens-on-the-ethics-of-immigration/

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Control on 11/30/2013 11:08:46 MST Print View

Let's make junk food illegal while er are at it. Control control CONTROL!!!

Let people have the option to fill themselves with whatever they want.

The problem lies elsewhere.

Education? Poverty? Immoral food lobby? So much else to spend money on...

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 12:05:47 MST Print View

Just read the article Katharina suggested. I guess my first reaction is that I accept that when I travel to another country, I'm at the mercy of their laws and that I'm a guest and should act as such. India put me through the wringer about my cell phone, if I was planning on leaving it, and wanted to know if I was bringing a sattelite phone with me. Made no sense to me and it didn't have to; its their country and their rules.

I've said all along that I feel part of immigration reform should be an opportunity for many people to adjust status to LPR. But I also think that there should be a screening process and something more than simply showing up at the border with suitcase in hand saying "hi I'm ready to move in."

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 13:37:02 MST Print View

"...and something more than simply showing up at the border with suitcase in hand saying "hi I'm ready to move in." "

That would never work - we'de be over-run with people - we don't have enough jobs,...

But due to screwed up policies for the last few decades, there are a bunch of people that have been here for many years. We've allowed it in that we've paid them. Many of them have children that know nothing about their native country.

If we deported them, there are a bunch of jobs that there's no one will do. We'de have crops rotting in the field.

Better to allow those people already here to stay and start a policy of not allowing employers to hire illegals.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 15:14:56 MST Print View

Completely agree with you Jerry,

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 11/30/2013 15:37:10 MST Print View

My parents had to have a job and a sponsor to immigrate. With as effed up as the US is now I don't think we would be overrun. Not the land of gold paved roads and endless opportunity it looked to be before. Still better than some places. Slipping fast.

"legalize drugs....oh so libertarian and oh so impractical"

Seemed to work with alcohol and tobacco. You'll still have 3% of a population that will overindulge.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 12/01/2013 19:56:20 MST Print View

Should've known that this is all part of a video game:

http://tinyurl.com/kcqd9co

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well we haven't covered immigration this year... on 12/01/2013 20:46:45 MST Print View

"many hard drugs will never become legal because people cannot handle them. Simple as that. To think people are responsible enough to do so is rather ridiculous."

You are implying that a prohibition against illegal drugs will actually stop people from using... that has not been the case. It depends on what you mean by "handle them". If someone wants to kill themselves through drug addiction, that's their decision. If a drug has the potential to make someone extremely violent and dangerous, then I agree with you.

"What does legalization of drugs and illegal immigration have in common?"

Most drugs here in California are smuggled in by people who are crossing the border illegally. Also lots of marijuana being grown in public forests by illegal immigrants. Drugs and illegal immigration have a lot in common.