EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63! on 11/25/2013 07:41:59 MST Print View

Reg $279. On Sale for $90. Take another 30% OFF and FREE SHIPPING with code ICY

---------------------
Built to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first American ascent of Mt. Everest, this jacket is inspired by the past while representing the pinnacle of new technology. Ultralight nylon shell has our StormRepel® durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to bead moisture so it doesn't soak into the fabric. Inside, premium 900-fill StormRepel Goose Down provides maximum warmth and compressibility with minimum weight, and because the down clusters have our DWR treatment, they're moisture resistant so the down retains its insulating properties in wet weather. Packs into its own hand pocket; weighs less than a pound.

◾Water-repellent, windproof shell
0.8-oz, 10D nylon with StormRepel® DWR finish

◾900-fill premium StormRepel® Goose Down
Ultralight, ultra-warm down with DWR treatment to retain insulating properties in wet weather

◾Extremely lightweight and packable
Less than 1 lb, with remarkable thermal efficiency Average garment weight: Reg 10.24 oz

◾Elastic binding at hem
Seals out nasty weather and traps heat

◾Easy-running zippers
No fumbling on or off

◾Stows Easily
Packs into its own pocket

◾Zippered tricot-lined hand pockets
Prevent frozen fingers

◾Average length: Reg 26"; Tall 28"

Edited by rmjapan on 11/25/2013 07:55:31 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63! on 11/25/2013 08:04:07 MST Print View

Where?

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Re: EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63! on 11/25/2013 08:09:23 MST Print View

Eddie Bauer online. Went fast. Looks like only Tall XL and XXL remaining. If there is a store near you that stocks it, you can get 40% OFF.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Sold out on 11/25/2013 08:11:34 MST Print View

Only tall sizes left - no regular sizes at that price on the website unfortunately...

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Sold out on 11/25/2013 10:25:41 MST Print View

Sometimes 6'5" has its perks. :) Picked one up.
Ryan

Hammock Hanger
(HammockHanger) - F
Great jacket on 11/25/2013 10:45:21 MST Print View

I found these ran a size large (I bought my X-LargeTall in 2010 and had to swap it for a LargeTall. I also swapped my Large EB DL vest for a Medium, I'm 6.0/#185 ). However Tall is not so bad, a little extra coverage never hurts.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
Can't coach height! on 11/25/2013 11:32:36 MST Print View

Ryan - nice score - they look like great jackets and a great deal. At 5'10" and 185 a large tall would likely be too long in the sleeves (the length is not as much a concern for me really).

The non 50th version is also on sale and with the extra 30% isn't a bad deal - just not enough for me to pull the trigger as I already have a Brooks Range BR jacket.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Great jacket & beanie on 11/25/2013 18:25:15 MST Print View

Yeah, I had to rub my eyes when I saw it was cheaper than the standard Downlight. I needed another puffy jacket like I need a hole in the head, and I am worried about it being too short and don't really care for the shinny black color either. But I am curious about this new dry down tech and the price for a top end jacket with the EB warranty was just too good a deal to pass up.

Of course, now I have to hussle over to the EB Japan store and pic up a matching 900FP black beanie! http://tinyurl.com/EB-900FP-Beanie

Strange they don't sell the beanie in the USA.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
nice jacket on 11/25/2013 23:24:54 MST Print View

I've tried one on and its a very nice jacket--warm for the weight. I had to talk myself out of it when I saw the deal. I still have occeassional flickers of will power.

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
wow on 11/26/2013 05:56:01 MST Print View

i'd buy a large if anyone doesnt want theirs. or i can trade for a new never used beastly brooks range alpini with 6oz of down/14 oz total weight. anyone interested? this brooks alpini is way too much jacket for me down south...

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
warning on 11/26/2013 12:49:03 MST Print View

received an EB downlight 800 fill jacket as a gift this weekend...

one of the baffles has absolutely not fill at all in the shoulder ...

went back to exchange it and some of the jackets in the store have underfilled baffles ...

looks like ill be doing a return ...

im usually a fan of EB ... but their quality control is slipping IMO ... a jacket should not reach the store to the customer with unfilled baffles ...

;)

Edited by bearbreeder on 11/26/2013 12:49:36 MST.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Re: warning on 11/26/2013 16:40:08 MST Print View

Didn't Patagonia's world-beater $700 jacket also have some fill issues too? Seems this is becoming more common.

Ryan

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63! on 11/27/2013 02:21:20 MST Print View

To those fortunate enough to snag one of these EB Downlight 50 jackets, do not fret. I went to the EB Tokyo flagship store to pic up a matching FP900 beanie. This jacket is busting out with FP900 lofty down goodness. The size L I tried on weighs just under 300g. Top line craftsmanship too. Even the black fabric is not quite as shiny as the pics make it to be. This jacket is awesome and $63 was a steal!

I took some pics but know that I am a full on size XL but could just wiggle into an L seen in the pics. I am wearing just a Tee and Marmot Ether windshirt under. I ordered a Regular XL but at 6'2 may have needed a Tall. Unfortunately, EB Japan does not sell XL or Tall sizes in First Ascent products.

EB Downlight 50-1

EB Downlight 50-2

Stuffed into its left pocket.
EB Downlight 50-3

And here is the FP900 beanie for ~$40
EB FP900 Beanie

Edited by rmjapan on 11/27/2013 03:14:59 MST.

Santiago Draco
(santiagodraco) - M
Expiration of sale? on 11/29/2013 11:08:34 MST Print View

Anyone know when this was supposed to expire? They had no xxl in stock yesterday but now they have a "few" but the sale is gone? Seems a bit sketchy to me.

Santiago Draco
(santiagodraco) - M
"Price is a typo?" according to EB on 11/29/2013 11:18:50 MST Print View

So, after trying to track down a way to get the jacket for 90 bucks I reached their customer service and was told, after the rep checked several other departments, that the 90$ price was a typo and "all orders placed at this price were or are being cancelled".

Anyone have any direct experience with this? Seems like a great deal at 90 for sure. I was able to get 40% off if I still want the jacket (may take them up on the offer, we'll see) but I'm more curious if anyone actually ordered and received one at the $90 price.

Thanks!

Edited by santiagodraco on 11/29/2013 11:42:39 MST.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: "Price is a typo?" according to EB on 11/29/2013 17:41:23 MST Print View

Mine has shipped FedEx for delivery on Tuesday 12/3.

When I got the flash mail, EB already had a Up to 40% off Fall sale ongoing storewide and this additional 30%OFF seemed to overlap only for 1-2 days. Then the Fall sale expired leaving only the 30% off regular prices online.

I do check their sales and clearance regularly though and was surprised they had put the Downlight 50 up cheaper than the standard Downlight. On the otherhand, I have seen the standard Downlight as low as $69 on clearance come Spring/Summer.

They seem to do this often.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: warning on 12/01/2013 05:07:39 MST Print View

Didn't Patagonia's world-beater $700 jacket also have some fill issues too? Seems this is becoming more common.

Ryan

well that thread is somewhere on BPL ... we just wont talk about it here ;)

as an update, i inspected the jackets they had in the store and found a hooded downlight that seemed to have even fill in the baffles relatively speaking

moral of the story? ... inspect it before you buy ... you might find some with uneven or unfilled baffles ...

for you yankee folks at least they have free return shipping this xmas season ... and their warranty is second to none

;)

Brett Peugh
(bpeugh) - F - M

Locale: Midwest
wow on 12/04/2013 08:13:38 MST Print View

Dang, totally missed out on this and i could have used an XXLT. It seems they don't even have the Downlight 50 on their site anymore.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Re: EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63! on 12/04/2013 10:51:21 MST Print View

Update: Got mine a few days ago. XL/Tall size. It runs a hair big on me in the torso, but not bad. Would be perfect to layer something underneath like a fleece. Very puffy with no under filled baffles. Build quality, seams, etc are good. Fabric has a nice feel. 11.5oz....Only thing I would like to see added would be a cinch in the bottom hem.

Overall, very pleased with this 900fp DWR-down jacket for $79.00!

Ryan

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Re: Re: EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63! on 12/04/2013 15:05:19 MST Print View

Ryan, would you mind measuring the center back and sleeve length of your XL/Tall? Measure the back from the bottom center of the collar where it meets the jacket and the outstretched sleeve length from the same spot.

My jacket won't be forwarded on to me until mid Dec and I want to know if I made a mistake with the size before I pay to have it shipped. TIA