Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not?
Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels

Display Avatars Sort By:
Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not? <br>Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels on 07/03/2007 20:51:15 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not?
Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - D on 07/04/2007 02:32:51 MDT Print View

in quotes.. part 4
Is a dead link.

Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - D on 07/04/2007 08:41:00 MDT Print View

Thanks, Brett - actually, all links to previous parts had the same issue. It is now fixed!

Jason Brinkman
(jbrinkmanboi) - MLife

Locale: Idaho
Re: Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide - Deadly or Not? <br>Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels on 07/05/2007 10:43:20 MDT Print View

Great stuff Roger!

As a follow up, I would like to see two halves of esbit used simultaneously. I would predict a CO level of 200 ppm, but with the most useful heating rate (perhaps it would actually boil a liter of water).

Anybody that uses solid fuel tablets consistently, what is your preferred method? Broken or whole? How many?

james clark
(jwfclark)

Locale: Southern California
Stove, Tents and carbon Monoxide on 02/05/2009 23:42:57 MST Print View

Jason, in response to your question, I almost always use two full Esbit tabs when I start cooking. Today I use a Vargo Triad alcohol/fuel tab stove and place two Esbit tabs side by side to start with. I also use a ti wind screen around a 1.3 lt. pot and lid. I believe I have always been able to get a rolling boil of a full pot of water while I am setting up camp. When doing so I always cook outside the tent however as if the CO doesn't get you the smell of the burning tabs can. If I have to cook "inside" I use only one full, unbroken tab at a time.

After each boil I blow out the tabs. The next time I utilize the stove I again start with two tabs or the equivalent residue from previous burns. It would be interesting to know what CO levels I am generating.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Stove, Tents and carbon Monoxide on 02/06/2009 00:08:23 MST Print View

Hi James

Can't tell with testing it, but I would guess between 100 and 200 ppm CO, due to the fairly large amount of fuel vapour being given off by two tabs or part-tabs. This sort of level really should be only allowed outside, preferably downwind.

A single tab inside is still going to generate a fair bit of CO, so you need to watch the ventilation carefully.

Cheers