Forum Index » GEAR » Ultralight Hard Bottle?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Bottles on 11/25/2013 20:20:01 MST Print View

Billy Ray +10
Max 0

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nalgene cleaning on 11/25/2013 20:21:21 MST Print View

"I have wondered about the discoloration. If the water did that to the bottle, what is it doing to my body?"

We're so spoiled about water. I "filter" coffee, tee, beer, bourbon, and Hansen's Diet Natural Root Beer and in still kicking :). Some iron and organics like tanin just keep things interesting. :)

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Chlorine washes. Not. on 11/25/2013 21:25:37 MST Print View

>"Bleaching may not do much after so much exposure and time."

Be very cautious on the use of chlorine around food. As excited as anyone wants to get about BPA, other hormone mimics, and generalized organic-chemical nastiness, chlorinated organics are typically worse than un-chlorinated organic chemicals. Spill 1,000 gallons of gasoline and you might pay me $300,000 to clean it from the soil and groundwater. Spill 1,000 gallons of TCE, TCA, or PCE and you'll spend millions (and still not be done).

Use chlorine (and Bromine and Iodine) to kill infectious organisms. Do not use it as a cleaner. HDPE cleans up very nicely and very safely in a standard dishwasher. Those very alkaline detergents are tough on your skin, but tougher on bacteria. And they are completely dissolved in the rinse cycle of the washing machine.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Oxiclean vs. One Step. on 11/25/2013 21:59:10 MST Print View

It appears to me that Oxiclean (~$10/5lbs) and One Step (~$34/5lbs) are basically the same product. They both produce primarily oxygen and soda ash as "scrubbers" when mixed with water.

Oxiclean http://tinyurl.com/Oxiclean-MSDS

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
CAS Number Chemical Ingredients % By Wt.
0497-19-8 Sodium carbonate 50-75%
15630-89-4 Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate 25-50%

One Step http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/OneStepMSDS.pdf

COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Components CAS Number Concentration
Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate 15630-89-4 > 40 %
Sodium Carbonate 497-19-8 > 20 %
Sodium Citrate 77-92-9 > 10 %
Sodium Chloride 7647-14-5 > 20 %

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Oxiclean vs. One Step. on 11/25/2013 22:04:06 MST Print View

Rick, the kind of oxi clean stuff i have seems to have fragrance or perfumes of some kind added (and it doesn't seem to be listed or advertised on the box i get from costco). I think perhaps what DD is recommending is something without that?

Edited by ArcturusBear on 11/25/2013 22:57:16 MST.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Better than oxyclean..... on 11/26/2013 00:00:43 MST Print View

The cleaning of the stain is most likely MUCH worse for your health than the stain.

Just an opinion, no science. But I can't imagine taking a chance with putting chemicals like Oxyclean in my water bottle. Oxyclean is NOT designed for food or water service. Chlorine is regularly used to sanitize drinking water.. at very low concentrations.

Billy

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Cleaning instructions from Nalgene on 11/26/2013 07:34:24 MST Print View

A Nalgene rep emailed me the following:

Cleaning
If your water bottle develops a funky taste or odor, try the following procedure:

*Put a teaspoon of bleach and a teaspoon of baking soda in the bottle and fill it with water.
*Let the bottle sit overnight.
*Rinse out the bottle completely the next day (or run it through the dishwasher).
*Let the bottle air dry completely.
When cleaning hydration reservoirs, rinse them thoroughly and let them completely air dry before using them again. Do not place in your dishwasher.

Tip: Some tastes and odors can be removed from plastic water bottles simply by rinsing them with anti-bacterial mouthwash.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Better than oxyclean..... on 11/26/2013 08:19:25 MST Print View

You all have done gone crazy!!!!

Just wash your bottles like you wash anything else.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Better than oxyclean..... on 11/26/2013 08:26:09 MST Print View

"You all have done gone crazy!!!!"

It comes from drinking out of plastic. ;)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Better than oxyclean..... on 11/26/2013 15:26:55 MST Print View

"You all have done gone crazy!!!!"

Nah, it's just 'How_many_angels_can_dance_on_the_head_of_a_pin?' season again.