Forum Index » GEAR » Ultralight Hard Bottle?

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Since you brought it up. on 11/25/2013 10:43:01 MST Print View

As long as you're taking a survey and publishing the results, I'll agree with Eugene sentiments (some criteria were vague, others were contradictory), say that I find his posts in this thread and others helpful and on the mark, report that Eugene puts together kick-ass trips for BPLers who want to push themselves on the trail, and from Max's thoughts on the WP/B Bivy thread, "I remember learning a bunch . . . even though it was different than my original criteria." point out that going slightly "off-thread" isn't always a bad thing.

My posts on avoiding UV degradation and an extremely lightweight aluminum option were (1) in case you wanted to consider a wider range of options and (2) because other people were discussing UV degradation and (3) not everyone reading the thread is going to make the same choice in the end. i.e. the thread can add value beyond Max getting his elusive, perfect bottle - I often benefit from a thread when I wasn't the OP.

If I'm invoicing a client at billing rates, I only charge for time spent on their specific project.

I don't consider a thread about gear to only about the OP's goals and no one else's.

Edited for typos and to add: Clearly we all need to hit the trail more. Thankfully, I'm heading 2,116 miles south on Wednesday so I'll be able to do that in between turkey dinners.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 11/25/2013 10:45:33 MST.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: @Eugene on 11/25/2013 10:44:27 MST Print View

All... please chill.

This forum is supposed to be about gear; not personal disagreements.

If you don't like the way that someone posts, take a deep breath, move on, and let it pass. No one is perfect here and there's always going to be someone that rubs you the wrong way. Just let it go. You, and the rest of us, will get on better that way.

Bill

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Vargo Bot on 11/25/2013 10:59:24 MST Print View

I don't own one of these but I figured the Vargo Bot is worth consideration.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html

FWIW I use the Smartwater bottles for three seasons and the opaque Nalgene bottle in the winter.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/25/2013 10:59:54 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: @Eugene on 11/25/2013 11:54:59 MST Print View

"No one is perfect here"

Not true! Far more times than I care to remember, I've been called a perfect ass. By friend and foe alike.

At least I'm perfect at something!

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: @Eugene on 11/25/2013 12:10:17 MST Print View

Indeed Doug, Indeed.... lol

Billy

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Re: Re: Hunersdorff Wide Mouth on 11/25/2013 15:35:13 MST Print View

Philip Werner aka SectionHiker sez " I've been filling Hunnersdorf wide mouth bottles for years with boiling water and I haven't spawned any mutant children yet! Why do you think they're recommended by Everest Guides?"

This bottle is made from LDPE plastic which has a working temp of only 80C/176F. Higher temps can deform and weaken the bottle so perhaps you are just lucky so far with your experiences.

As far as I can tell, Hunersdorff does not make a specific "Expedition" or "High Altitude" Winter bottle. It seems to be a name appropriated by third parties for one of their hundreds of plastic products. It doesn't even have volume gradation marks. And in fact, all their current water carrying/storage designated bottles are HDPE plastic with a working temp of 120C/248F, well above boiling temps at sea level.

Other than the yellow cap hype, nothing special about this bottle. Nalgene makes LDPE bottles too; http://store.nalgene.com/category-s/30.htm

Edited by rmjapan on 11/25/2013 16:47:22 MST.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Monster bottles on 11/25/2013 16:02:15 MST Print View

I need to give those a try. Not sure why they didn't fit the OP, but I find them interesting.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/25/2013 16:47:26 MST Print View

IMHO, they all hold water.

BOTTLES!

The UL "standard" has been recycled spring water bottles. A one liter Talking rain bottle is 2oz on my scale and nearly free. They last long enough to be practical and there is a good recycling stream to dispose of them when they are shot. The "rocket bottom" bottles for pressurized drinks are a feather heavier and they have been reported to survive a through hike. That's a tough bottle!

Next up for me is the HDPE Nalgene one liter, which is 3.6oz in the narrow neck version and 4oz in the wide neck model. The most current Triton BPA-fee plastic 1 liter Nalgene I have weighs 6.4oz. An interesting alternative is the blue canteen with the REI logo on the far right. It was made by Nalgene and is Triton plastic, holds a liter and is 4.6oz and of course is discontinued.

H2Go has made 40oz stainless wide mouth bottles that were quite thin and just a bit more than the Triton Nalgenes from what I recall. They are near impossible to find. I liked them as they could double as a boiler in an emergency-- the top came off like a Nalgene. I was always surprised they weren't more popular in the outdoor world.

H2Go bottles

The closest I have found is this: http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Stainless-Steel-1-liter-Water-Bottle-with-TrailMax-Logo/productinfo/WTM585/. No idea on the weight.

The Sigg one liter bottles are 5.2oz. I don't care for the narrow neck, mostly because the threads are easy to strip and the caps can be lost. The insides have a coating, so it's not just plain aluminum. They have made wide mouth and stainless versions.

Vargo markets 22oz titanium bottles that are 4.2oz (not that light) with a $60+ street price. Not for me!

I would just use the recycled bottles. I wouldn't be too worried about leaching and recycling is easy. The "rocket bottom" bottles are the way to go if you're concerned about durability. The UV thing is way off the radar for me.

Edited by dwambaugh on 11/25/2013 18:19:26 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Monster bottles on 11/25/2013 17:02:53 MST Print View

Larry:

Yeah, I like the wider mouth and it can't beat for SUL if you want aluminum. I don't have a Monster-brand one in my stash just now, but in 16-ounce, aluminum screw-tops I checked Snake Eyes energy drink and a Miller Lite. Both were 27 grams.

All my twist-top, 24-ounce Rockstar aluminum bottles have modified with heat exchanger fins. The one pictured below weighs 42 grams WITH HX fins. I'd estimate it at 35 grams without. The sides aren't very stiff AT ALL, although it is more sturdy when full of water. I'd accept the extra 19 grams of weight for 2 x 16 oz = 32 ounces at 54 grams for greater capacity, redundancy, and sturdiness.

SUL Al bottles

And to paraphrase Benjamin Franklin ('Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.') if 16-ounce aluminum bottles are cheaper with beer than with Taurine and Vitamins (or air) in them, I think we should take that as a sign from the universe.

Edited to point out that the BF quote is argued by some as not being accurate (as to author, it is obviously a true statement).

Edited by DavidinKenai on 11/25/2013 23:17:28 MST.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Large SS bottles on 11/25/2013 17:13:41 MST Print View

Dale: Nice idea about multi-purposing the SS 40-ounce bottles.

As a promo product they can be $4-$6 each in quantity WITH printing.

http://www.4imprint.com/tag/114/Sport-Bottles/product/105672-CL/h2go-Wide-Stainless-Sport-Bottle-40-oz.--Closeout

Maybe prior to GGG, someone would consider a minimum order. I'll just keep my eyes at trade shows and such.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
UL bottles on 11/25/2013 17:13:59 MST Print View

I already have some of the 16oz beer bottles. I'm looking at the Monster, et al. as a bigger bottle to better double as a water boiling container.

I'm sure you've posted it before, but how did you make the fins? That might be an interesting DIY project (not that I need another project!).

I find it interesting that the Fiji bottles have been mentioned several times. That is what I use currently. I also cut the bottom off one to use as a scoop dirty water "container" for my sawyer filter. They seem a little better than round plastic bottles...

"If 16-ounce aluminum bottles are cheaper with beer than with Taurine and Vitamins (or air) in them, I think we should take that as a sign from the universe."

Absolutely! I only drink the beer ones, that other stuff tastes like...

Edited by Hitech on 11/25/2013 17:16:49 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Large SS bottles on 11/25/2013 18:18:04 MST Print View

I originally researched the stainless bottles in my "survival kit" stage. The idea is to have a can full of survival/essentials that can be handed to a hiking companion that wasn't prepared. Like I said, the stainless bottle could double as a boiler for purifying water and cooking. You can get quite a bit of stuff in a 40oz wide mouth bottle. The non-boil alternative is to hand them a spring water bottle and a small stuff sack full of goodies. Recycled mayonnaise jars work too. All versions should include Micro Pur tablets, so boiling isn't a deal breaker.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Re: Re: Large SS bottles on 11/25/2013 18:22:57 MST Print View

There's a joke to be written about a mayo jar of gear in comparison to a thousand rounds of 7.62x39 and one ton of rice, but I'm not going to try to assemble it.

I do like the all-in-one, and totally-water-proof aspects of the survival kit in a jar.

scree ride
(scree)
Re: UL bottles on 11/25/2013 18:45:08 MST Print View

" I also cut the bottom off one to use as a scoop dirty water "container" for my sawyer filter. They seem a little better than round plastic bottles."

Yeah that. they work good.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Large SS bottles on 11/25/2013 18:45:25 MST Print View

I already found that link - minimum order is 36. I'd be willing to take a couple if there is sufficient interest for someone to do an order. GGG is a good idea.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Nalgene widemouth on 11/25/2013 18:51:43 MST Print View

Hello. I've been using a Nalgene soft widemouth for use with my SteriPen while traveling through Asia. The container now has discoloration after 3 months and I plan to bleach it when I get home. Does is type of bottle have any of the chemicals discussed in this thread?

http://www.rei.com/product/670588/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-32-fl-oz

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Nalgene widemouth on 11/25/2013 19:11:59 MST Print View

The Nalgene canteen is polyethylene. No BPA, and even the baby experts think it is okay.

IMHO, plastic leaching is often blown out of proportion and the bottom line is that plastic is EVERYWHERE in food handling. If you have concerns, I would avoid boiling/cooking/microwaving in plastics. Glass and stainless steel are the most stable container materials. Glass is really out of the picture; stainless is bearable if you are freaked out about plastics.

Bleaching may not do much after so much exposure and time. A product made for calcium/lime/rust product may do the trick. If I used a container daily for 3 months, I would feel that I got my money's worth and treat myself to a new one!

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Re: Nalgene cleaning on 11/25/2013 19:30:46 MST Print View

I put a little Oxiclean in my Nalgene containers and add hot water. Give it a shake to dissolve and let sit for 48hrs to remove stains. Probably the same affect as using bleach but without the strong odor.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Nalgene cleaning on 11/25/2013 19:57:19 MST Print View

Thanks guys. I'll use oxyclean first and then use something more aggressive if needed.

I have wondered about the discoloration. If the water did that to the bottle, what is it doing to my body?

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Better than oxyclean..... on 11/25/2013 20:06:26 MST Print View

Oxyclean has soaps that may permeate the plastics. We use "One Step" bought at Amazon. Environmentally friendly and contains no chlorine.
Five pound bucket is very economical.