Forum Index » GEAR » Ultralight Hard Bottle?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Ray
(thaddeussmith) - F
Re: Re: Light Enough on 11/24/2013 22:44:15 MST Print View

4.8oz for the 1L according to this site.. https://www.40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=18

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Hunersdorff Wide Mouth on 11/24/2013 22:48:15 MST Print View

There is always a "gotcha" and the Hunersdorff Wide Mouth is no exception to wit: You can not fill it will BOILING water. That's a non-starter for a Winter bottle IMO.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: Re: Light Enough on 11/24/2013 22:50:45 MST Print View

4.8 oz ?????

That's 1.0 oz heavier than my 1L Nalgene bottles.

Bill

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
From Jim Couch on 11/24/2013 22:53:39 MST Print View

"The 1 liter bottle comes in at 135 grams (4.8 oz) in between the UL and 'standard' nalgene bottles. They also do a 1.5 liter that comes in at 174 grams (6.2 oz)"

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: From Jim Couch on 11/24/2013 22:58:52 MST Print View

I've read nothing on this thread to dissuade me from my 3.8 oz HDPE Nalgene Bottles.
I typically take one of these and one or two of the 1 oz Platapus bladders, depending on the trip.

Bill

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Hunersdorff Wide Mouth on 11/24/2013 23:04:43 MST Print View

"That means no frills like a straw (the best cap would be similar to a Platy, just a simple narrow-neck screw-on) and the body should be firm, but not overbuilt and heavy like a Nalgene. Something that can survive being dropped a bunch where a Platy might get a tear."

So which is it Max?

Narrow neck screw on cap like a Platy? Not built like a Nalgene?

The Hunersdorff appears to weigh as much as as a readily available 1L polyethylene Nalgene bottle, it's built exactly like a Nalgene, and is lacking a narrow neck screw top like that found on a Platy..... and definitely not "UL".

Don't be surprised by some of the suggestions and confusion within your thread.

Glad you found what you were looking for along.

Edited by Eugeneius on 11/24/2013 23:13:00 MST.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
Deja vu on 11/24/2013 23:31:15 MST Print View

Distinct memories of "the perfect WP/B bivy" thread initiated by Max where all input was rejected, and requirements changed every few posts. Sheesh.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: The More You Know on 11/25/2013 01:31:59 MST Print View

the more i know... the more im thinking... what a tatua raho

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/25/2013 05:13:30 MST Print View

Max, if you haven't settled on a bottle yet, check this out. You may be looking for something called a Boston round bottle. It comes in plastic and glass.

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/catalog/plastic-boston-rounds/40/#0,0&0&0&0&0&0&0&40&0&8&list&0&0&undefined,1

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Hunersdorff Wide Mouth on 11/25/2013 08:21:52 MST Print View

I was going to suggest the Hunersdorff Wide Mouth bottle way earlier in your thread but it didn't fit your criteria for the bottle you are looking for...Narrow neck screw on cap like a Platy.

Section Hiker Winter Gear List
>Hunersdorf Bottles are recommended by Everest Guides, they’re about 50% lighter than Nalgenes, and are great for carrying boiling hot water. They also cost $9.95 each (same as a Nalgene) and don’t crack because they’re made out of a softer plastic<

Also from Section Hiker on the Hunersdorff Wide Mouth bottle.

Edited by annapurna on 11/25/2013 08:42:20 MST.

McDowell Crook
(mcdcrook) - M

Locale: Southeast
smart on 11/25/2013 09:30:03 MST Print View

Smartwater bottles are great!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Stop Whining! on 11/25/2013 09:31:30 MST Print View

This isn't a trial.

I'm looking for the best alternative. The holy grail bottle is elusive.

You guys are acting like me choosing a bottle that goes against one criteria I casually mentioned a day ago is a betrayal you can barely stomach.

I remember that WP/B Bivy thread. I remember learning a bunch and then I followed the advice I found there, and even though it was different than my original criteria, it reflected the information I gained from the forum and I was better for having asked.

Nobody is holding a hot poker to your side, demanding that you come up with an answer. Eugene especially; If participating in this thread is causing you so much distress and confusion, walk away.

Philip Werner
(earlylite) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Hunersdorff Wide Mouth on 11/25/2013 09:32:52 MST Print View

Where'd you hear that? I've been filling Hunnersdorf wide mouth bottles for years with boiling water and I haven't spawned any mutant children yet! Why do you think they're recommended by Everest Guides?

Philip Werner

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hunersdorff Wide Mouth on 11/25/2013 09:41:22 MST Print View

"Hunersdorf Bottles are recommended by Everest Guides, they’re about 50% lighter than Nalgenes"

A bit of a disingenuous comparison I think. Because, they're comparing the Hunersdorf to the heavier Nalgene bottles that come in colors which I wouldn't think anyone here on BPL would carry. If they compared to the lighter weight, original HDPE Nalgene bottle, they would have to report that the Nalgene is a full ounce lighter than the Hunersdorf.

As for winter use. I've never used the Hunersdorf, but I will assume they are better in winter... at least better than the heavier Nalgenes that come in colors. But I can also tell you that I used the original HDPE Nalgene bottles on Mt. McKinley for three weeks in -40F conditions and had no problems with them.

The 'original' Nalgene bottles are more flexible than the colored ones and are milky white color, slightly translucent. Sometimes they are not on the shelf as some REI stores don't stock them... But they can be ordered:
http://www.rei.com/product/402049/nalgene-wide-mouth-loop-top-round-bottle-32-fl-oz

And the HDPE (high density polyethylene) may be the safest of all the plastics. It's the same plastic used for milk bottles.

Bill D.

Edited by rosyfinch on 11/25/2013 10:04:23 MST.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Stop Whining! on 11/25/2013 09:51:48 MST Print View

Max I wasn't whining but when you said people were not understanding what you were looking for and restated your criteria it seemed silly for me to suggest something that you made clear in your second post was not going to fit into what you were looking for,it didn't seem casual but more of an explanation of what exactly you wanted,there is nothing wrong with having criteria for a specific piece of gear that you are looking for but no need to get upset either(I'm not :)

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Re: Stop Whining! on 11/25/2013 10:20:54 MST Print View

Yes, HDPE Nalgenes have been around for a long time, which is why landing on the Huffenbrowsendorflinger, or whatever, is a funny conclusion to this thread. With the exception of the larger cap thread size and cap material, both of these are basically the same vessel, which under most circumstances achieve the same end. I was under the impression that you required something "unique" which had me, and others, digging around racking our brains in curiosity.

Again, I am GLAD you found what you were looking for. Not sure how many times I can state that without you alluding to my "distress" over this- lets ease up on the exaggeratory assessments.

Not to beat a dead horse, but notice a common thread in your postings Max, here at BPL. Either everyone else is "out to get" poor old Max, or perhaps you need to consider more how you interact and communicate within the forum. You regularly find yourself on the defense and I think you perpetuate that pattern.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

@Eugene on 11/25/2013 10:24:53 MST Print View

I hate redactions, but this comment I made was unhelpful, and it's gone.

I have no major problem with Eugene and don't want to invent one.

Edited by mdilthey on 11/25/2013 10:37:48 MST.

Christopher *
(cfrey.0) - M

Locale: US East Coast
Re: @Eugene on 11/25/2013 10:28:31 MST Print View

"not to worry about Euguene Smith, he bothers everyone"

Eugene has the best avatars.

It definitely bothers me that his are always so much better than mine.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Live Long and Prosper on 11/25/2013 10:30:43 MST Print View

Alright, all done looking for a bottle.

Goodbye, thread!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: @Eugene on 11/25/2013 10:35:01 MST Print View

Eugene bothers everyone?
That's news to me. You guys have some "disagreements" , but Eugene has nothing but a stellar reputation from anything I have ever seen or heard.
Mondays can be rough. Good luck.