Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Ultralight Hard Bottle?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/22/2013 22:18:43 MST Print View

Anyone have a suggestion for an ultralight hard-sided bottle? I put a hole in a platypus during my bike crash, so I want to at least look into hard alternatives that aren't nalgene bottles.

And, sorry, don't hate me, but I'm not reusing anything like a gatorade bottle. Those plastics break down over time.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/22/2013 22:31:47 MST Print View

The Nalgene white HDPE bottles are a couple ounces lighter than the transparent ones and no BPA.

Are you concerned with physical or chemical breakdown? My first thought was the drinking water that comes in a PETE bottle that will fit the cages on your bike.
Talking Rain spring water

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Let's Get Physical, It's Chemical on 11/22/2013 22:32:48 MST Print View

Dale,

Both.

Mark Andrews
(buldogge) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/22/2013 22:32:53 MST Print View

Max…On the bike? Specialized Purist bottles all the way…preferably with watergate cap.

-Mark in St. Louis

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Bike Bottle on 11/22/2013 22:35:11 MST Print View

I take it that the semi-rigid bottles that are sold to fit your bicycle water bottle cage are not what you're looking for?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
bpa on 11/22/2013 23:30:33 MST Print View

I use BPA free water bottles found at my health food store, my .6 liter is around 1.5 ounces.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/23/2013 03:30:58 MST Print View

From what I find, soda and Gatorade bottles break down over time when exposed to UV, like in a bike bottle holder.

If you can keep the sun off them, they work great and last for many years.

I have some 1 liter seltzer bottles that I've been backpacking with for many years and still look like new.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/23/2013 07:09:02 MST Print View

Try the ultralight aluminum bottles from Sigg. Avoids all the problems.

http://www.mysigg.com/category/classic

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Re: Ultralight Hard Bottle? on 11/23/2013 18:53:24 MST Print View

Is it possible to use the Sigg aluminum bottles with a SteriPen?

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
hard bottle bottleology on 11/23/2013 20:19:06 MST Print View

Max,

Re: "And, sorry, don't hate me, but I'm not reusing anything like a gatorade bottle. Those plastics break down over time."

Hate to tell ya, but Nalgene bottles also break down over time. Several have left me in a pickle with only one bottle when my other cracked open. So I carry a foldup softy as backup. In some places, like Colorado's Cochetopa, it's only safe to carry a good supply of water.

Mueller makes a nice liter bottle that is half way between soft and hard. The brand found in Walmart, Mainstays, also makes a 26 oz hard bottle that comes with different shading, and has grips molded into the side. The cap sticks a little, though.

I still like the Planters peanut bottles the best. They come in both 26 and 32 oz, and have convex sides for easier holding. And they are the lightest I've seen. Not for those allergic to nuts, however.

The reason for the slightly soft-sided bottles like the Mueller and the Nalgene soft-sided version of its hard sided liter bottle, is not just that they are an oz or so liter than the hardsided versions; but also, because they can be squeezed to use to backflush a Sawyer mini. If not for that, I would use the Planter's, because although I cannot eat nuts for other reasons, there is no allergic reaction and the Planter's are the lightest and easy to grasp.

All the above mentioned are widemouths.

Slurp!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Did someone say "light aluminum bottle"? on 11/23/2013 20:43:07 MST Print View

>"soda and Gatorade bottles break down over time when exposed to UV"

Paint them. White paint for the summer, black paint if you ride in the winter. Any opaque latex paint, like house paint, will block 99+% of the UV.

Doesn't solve the phobia about plastics being all un-natural and landfill-filling, and marine-life-choking. So unlike shipping bauxite ore around the globe to electro-win the alumina to aluminum in 970C molten cryolite.

I looked at the link for Sigg aluminum bottles. Wow, $22 to $29! Here's an aluminum bottle that is even lighter, wider-mouth, available at your local supermarket, Walmart or convenience store and at least $20 cheaper:energy drink bottles

I score them from the recycling center and have used them in SUL cook sets.

If they seem a little TOO light, and you bring duct tape, leuko tape, etc with you; let the tape live on the outside of the bottle - it will stiffen it a little.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Did someone say "light aluminum bottle"? on 11/23/2013 21:07:34 MST Print View

Sigg bottles have a coating inside, so you still have some plastic/chemicals in the system. The newer khaki color coating is BPA free.

My favorite bike bottle is the CamelBak 22oz Performance bottle. Why? Because it has a straw, so you don't need to tip it when drinking and obscuring your view. I use one in the car for the same reason.

The spout doesn't swing on this model; the top twists if you want to seal it, which isn't needed in a bike cage.
The plastic is polypropylene based.
CamelBak Performance bottle

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Did someone say "light aluminum bottle"? on 11/23/2013 21:35:25 MST Print View

Metal bottles suck for any outside activity. Get too hot or cold to hold with bare hands in most scenarios. Great for the office or strolling around the mall.

The Salomon soft flasks are all the rage among trail runners and cyclists. Their exclusive with the OEM has apparently expired as Hydrapak is selling them direct now. Made from very durable and puncture resistant TPU soft plastic.

http://tinyurl.com/Hydrapak-Soft-Flask

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Not Quite on 11/24/2013 15:27:50 MST Print View

Kind of a funny thread. Some good info but not exactly what I'm looking for.

The regular bike bottles are ok, I guess, but I'm looking for a hard bottle for backpacking that is "ultralight." I cycle alot, but these are more for backpacking.

That means no frills like a straw (the best cap would be similar to a Platy, just a simple narrow-neck screw-on) and the body should be firm, but not overbuilt and heavy like a Nalgene. Something that can survive being dropped a bunch where a Platy might get a tear.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist.

Some of the suggestions in here seem about as close as offering a Kelty when someone asks for an UL pack. It's a good pack, but not what I'm looking for (my fault- should have been more specific).

As for durability, nothing lasts forever, but the hard bottles I spent $10 on last years and a plastic bottle from the supermarket lasts days to weeks. The plastic also leaches faster in a cheap bottle, which is unhealthy.

So... if anyone knows of a simple, minimalist, lightweight hard-sided bottle that'd be awesome! If it doesn't exist, oh well..

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Not Quite on 11/24/2013 16:55:54 MST Print View

Doesn't exist. You or anybody else won't live long enough to be worried about leaching of soda bottles.

Edited by jshann on 11/24/2013 16:56:58 MST.

scree ride
(scree)
Fiji on 11/24/2013 16:59:14 MST Print View

The Fiji water bottles are high grade PET with no BPA. Their square shape adds rigidity to the bottle. The large ones, 1.5 liter 55gr, can add some rigidity to your pack as well. I usually get a new one every summer, usually because i forgot the old one somewhere. They come prefilled and you don't have to wash them out or anything.
They have a pretty pink flower on the front with palm trees on a blue background showing from the back.. I like to swirl the water and pretend like I'm on an island.

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
free on 11/24/2013 17:01:16 MST Print View

"From what I find, soda and Gatorade bottles break down over time when exposed to UV, like in a bike bottle holder."

Yeah, but they are so cheap (or free if you are in to dumpster diving at sports parks, schools, etc, that you can replace so frequently that it is not an issue.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Lifestyle Choices on 11/24/2013 17:01:51 MST Print View

I disagree. I look at it the same way I look at counting ounces in backpacking.

If I cut the handle off my toothbrush, I'm not really doing anything. 500 baby steps, however, have a big impact.

I try and eat organic food, I avoid living in areas with smog, I know where my water comes from, and I avoid plastic bottles. I choose products without chemicals when I buy toothpaste and deoderant.

I'm not a blind hippie. GMO's have no confirmed cases of anyone getting sick, so I could care less if the DNA of my tomatoes were messed with. But chemicals, I can avoid.

So I try to, if I can.

Duncan M
(dmasland) - F

Locale: New England
Polypropylene on 11/24/2013 17:31:36 MST Print View

Have you considered polypropylene cycling water bottles. I've never used one, but could be worth checking out at $5.

http://www.amazon.com/Soma-Fabrications-Polypropylene-Bicycle-Water/dp/B001MRVAH2

Edited by dmasland on 11/24/2013 17:34:51 MST.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
+1 on Fiji on 11/24/2013 17:32:58 MST Print View

I love the Fiji bottles. They are Tuffer than the rest.