Forum Index » GEAR » Down booties

Display Avatars Sort By:
wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Down booties on 11/20/2013 17:04:23 MST Print View

I'm looking for something to wear around camp when I do occasional overnights. The temperatures would be 5+ degrees.

I've compared:

1) FF down booties - $89, 9.3 oz
2) GooseFeet (including over-bootie)- $110, 3.9 oz
3) WM Flash bootie - $65, 3 oz
4) WM down dootie - $85, 6 oz
5) WM Expedition down bootie - $110, 8 oz

There's no place locally to see and handle any of these so it will be an internet-driven purchase.

In some respects, the simplicity of the WM Flash Bootie is attractive. The cheapest and lightest. My instincts tell me to select either the GF or FF down bootie.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by wiiawiwb on 11/20/2013 17:18:27 MST.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: Down booties on 11/20/2013 17:29:59 MST Print View

These expedition quality boots would be my choice,

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1108774

Wolf's Rain
(WolfsRain) - M
Feathered Friends on 11/20/2013 17:48:04 MST Print View

This question was asked recently and I think the consensus was the Feathered Friends booties. It was mainly due to the fact that the shell can be removed. This allows you to wear them in camp but then remove the outer so that you can use them inside your bag without worrying about dirt. It would be my first choice and I plan on picking up a pair in the next week or so.

Edited by WolfsRain on 11/20/2013 17:48:55 MST.

Scott Haddon
(rebeldawg63) - F

Locale: Southeast
Another choice on 11/20/2013 18:02:38 MST Print View

I purchased a pair of down booties from Arrowhead Equipment 2 yrs ago & have been very pleased. They are extremely warm and weigh 3 oz with overstuff. My 2 cents!

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
FF Booties on 11/20/2013 18:32:48 MST Print View

I have had pair of the FF booties for 15 or 20 years and have really enjoyed them when winter camping. Don't know how much they have changed over the years but they have a fairly substantial sole and insole - perfect for walking around once you get the snow packed down around camp. Great value.

Mark Verber
(verber) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Down booties on 11/20/2013 18:44:48 MST Print View

I have a pair of goose feet and really like them. Water resistant down is now the fill. Like the FF, they have the option of an over shell which are removal. I did the beefie ToughTek overshells which give a lot more traction than they typical nylon shells.

--Mark

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Love my goose feet!! on 11/20/2013 21:29:32 MST Print View

I have the overbooties too. Wear them all the time to sleep, unless it's the height of summer. Super soft n comfy!!

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Warmth on 11/20/2013 22:07:36 MST Print View

Which bootie mentioned or listed above would be the warmest?

Edited by wiiawiwb on 11/21/2013 05:02:02 MST.

hwc 1954
(wcollings) - M
Feathered Friends on 11/20/2013 23:18:04 MST Print View

I just got a pair of the FF booties. Awesome product. I really like that the inner down boot can be for tent use only and the outer bootie for walking around. The outer bootie is at least marginally rugged and can be easily washed.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Goose Feet on 11/21/2013 06:01:02 MST Print View

I have the Goose Feet down booties and the over-booties with dyneema on the bottom. They are warm enough to walk around in the snow, I've even stepped through the top layer of snow and down several feet and stayed warm and dry. The over bootie shells come with two sets of foam inserts made of different thicknesses for various conditions. In the shoulder season when it gets cold but there is no snow I just wear the booties. Without the shells they are by far the lightest option (2.2 ozs) and durable enough to walk around camp.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Feathered Friends on 11/21/2013 06:11:35 MST Print View

Another one for a Feathered Friends here.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
***NUNATAK DOWN FOOTWEAR**** on 11/21/2013 06:57:18 MST Print View

Have you checked these out?

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/main_pages/product_booties.htm

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
GooseFeet Gear + a bunch! on 11/21/2013 18:23:06 MST Print View

Another vote for the GFG down socks and the overbooties. As mentioned, the socks can be worn inside a tent, all clean & warm, and then for a pee break, or camp chores, slip the overbooties on. The nice thing about going with GFG is that you can choose what materials you want the socks made from, and more importantly, how much down you want in them. Nothing wrong with the others mentioned, but being able to choose the materials and amount of down fill is a great option to really get what you want rather than settling for a stock version... unless the stock version is what you want.

GooseFeet Gear Down Socks & Over Booties

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Thanks everyone on 11/21/2013 20:08:49 MST Print View

All were excellent suggestions and insights and are appreciated. I just placed an order for the FF booties.

Derek Weeks
(Lighting12) - MLife
Re: GooseFeet gear on 11/21/2013 20:59:40 MST Print View

I just got my Goose Feet down socks and the over-booties and I have to say they are just awesome! And Ben from GFG is great to work with...! My socks with 50% over fill weight 2.2 oz and the booties 2 oz size M

YOU CANT GO WRONG ORDERING FROM BEN AT GOOSEFEET GEAR :-)

Edited by Lighting12 on 11/22/2013 08:43:37 MST.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Goose feet gear on 11/25/2013 17:24:33 MST Print View

Why is it when I try to get on the site www.goosefeetgear.com it says certificate error? Mismatched address, Not recomended to click on this site? Does anyone else get this message hilighted in red?

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Goose feet gear on 11/25/2013 17:29:50 MST Print View

Hi Joe,

That usually means a mis-configured SSL certificate configuration and/or web alias on the web site.

The'll probably figure it out and fix shortly.

Try goosefeetgear.com without the www.
Who types www anymore anyway. That's so old school:-)

Edited by brooklynkayak on 11/25/2013 17:33:01 MST.

Joe Annese
(dirtbaghiker) - M
Re: Goose feet gear on 11/25/2013 18:01:47 MST Print View

naahh..still not working..darnit. Hope they fix it soon so I can order. its been like this for a few days now..

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Goose feet gear on 11/25/2013 19:12:19 MST Print View

the site works for me

Jeremy B.
(requiem) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Goose feet gear on 11/25/2013 19:49:33 MST Print View

https://goosefeetgear.com is presenting a valid certificate, but https://www.goosefeetgear.com is presenting a certificate for a different domain. I agree with Steven; someone probably mixed up the config on the server.