Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight Stove Systems for Group Cooking Part 1: Basic Framework for Selecting A Cooking Pot and Predicting Fuel Needs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Canister fuel on 12/29/2013 07:33:26 MST Print View

Thanks for your response, Roger. I always appreciate your learned insights. I happened to buy a JetBoil canister yesterday to try out. On the can, it says "Made in Korea." It happens that the JetBoil, MSR and Optimus canisters all are made in Korea, and they all have identical protective caps (maybe different colors). Hmmm...maybe all made by Kovea? Snow Peak doesn't mention where their's are made, maybe Japan? Their protective caps are different, and are stamped with "Snow Peak." My 10-year old CampingGaz and Primus Power Gas canisters were both "Made in France," so they're probably OK. All of my 4 ounce canisters appear nearly identical dimensionally, with the only apparent difference being the color of the metal as viewed from the bottom of the canisters--Optimus and JetBoil are a light gold color, the Snow Peak a bit darker gold, and the MSR is silver. Do you suppose that this is due to some sort of brass/steel composition differences?

I'm certain that I am over-thinking all of this, Roger. But that's what some geeks do to help pass the dark, cold days of winter. I'm just trying to study the canister weight/number of boils/ambient temperature performance of these various fuels. Maybe I should move on to dehydrating/vacuum sealing next summer's food supply instead?

Thanks again, Roger.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Canister fuel on 12/29/2013 09:16:13 MST Print View

I've used a couple Jetboil canisters. 8.1 oz/230 g. Upright. Worked okay.

I don't think it matters which canister you use if you're upright. They're all mostly isobutane. Get cheapest or whatever's available. Just based on my experience in U.S. at REI - Jetboil, MSR, Snow Peak.

The Burton canisters from Fred Meyers are $2.50 or $3 for 8 ounces which are cheaper. Made in Korea. Same lid as Jetboil except different color. Same size as Jetboil.

The Snow Peak that I bought a couple years ago is from Japan, slightly different weight, different cap,...

If isobutane, upright works fine above 25 F or 30 F.

If you find a butane canister then maybe 40 F (based on theory). That would be 6 months out of the year in most of the U.S. and year-round in a lot of the U.S.

If it's too cold for upright, and you can invert, then you need to be more careful about filtered canister or you'll clog? But maybe you really need to be able to clean your stove regardless?

I agree, no need for propane in the mix. But, I think it's easier for them to produce fuel that has a mixture of propane and isobutane. More difficult to refine it to have just isobutane.

If it just happened to be really cold one night (less than 25 F or so) then the propane would be pretty useful.

So, yes, you're over analyzing, just pick any canister. Unless you're inverted...

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Re: Canister fuel on 12/29/2013 17:24:37 MST Print View

I have 14 Snowpeak canisters now, half 110 half 230 sizes. 9 are Made in Japan and 5 Made in Korea. 4 of the 5 Korean canisters are "Summer" n-butane/ISO mix gas. The rest are "Winter" Pro Iso propane/ISO mix gas.

I just bought a refilling gadget with adapter to keep my small canisters topped off and to use cheap "spray can" n-butane in my Summer gas canisters. Nervous at first but it turned out to be an easy/fast process.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Canister fuel on 12/29/2013 22:27:57 MST Print View

jetboil fuel comes from korea ...

as does MSR and snowpeak these days ...

you can see it here ...

http://www.mec.ca/shop/fuel/50495/?h=10+50035+50491

when in doubt just buy MSR ... its 80% iso, 20% prop

and generally available

;)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Canister fuel on 12/29/2013 23:30:37 MST Print View

Hi Kevin and Gary

Actually, I don't think Kovea actually make their own canisters - or rather, fill them. There is another company which does that, as I mention in the bushwalking FAQ:
'For instance, Dae Ryuk Can Co in Korea makes canisters for Kovea, MSR and many others.'

It gets more complicated that that: one company might make the canister while another one fills them. The Coleman Powermax canisters were made by ... a USA company which makes (millions of) hair-spray canisters etc. But I don't think that company filled them.

If the canister says "made in Korea" or "made in France", it probably was. But companies sometimes change their suppliers, and that is what I suspect has happened here. The Primus Power Gas canisters were quite OK, but then they came out with these Chinese-sourced ones. These ones had 'Primus' and a couple of other brand names on them: very generic! But they had those crazy 2-decimal-places percentages on the cans, and afaik only the Chinese-sourced ones do that.

Sometimes it can take 6 months for the retail supply chain to reflect a switch, as shops usually buy canisters by the case load. They have to, as the canisters require special transport arrangements which are expensive. So in some areas you might not see the later Chinese ones for quite some time. Eh, if the retail market does not like them, some shops may never see them.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 12/29/2013 23:32:00 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Canister fuel on 12/29/2013 23:54:00 MST Print View

The cheap ones... would they be good as targets on the target range?

--B.G.--

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Canister fuel on 12/30/2013 07:43:17 MST Print View

"The cheap ones... would they be good as targets on the target range?"

Maybe throw in fire and see what happens?

I want someone else to try this. Set up video camera first. Make sure life insurance is paid up.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Canister fuel on 12/30/2013 13:26:01 MST Print View

> The cheap ones... would they be good as targets on the target range?
You would need tracer for the best effects.

Cheers