Forum Index » GEAR » Has reading "Let My People Go Surfing" changed your thoughts on Patagonia's gear and/or company?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Re: Re: Has reading "Let My People Go Surfing" changed your thoughts on Patagonia's gear and/or company? on 11/20/2013 09:22:07 MST Print View

You're welcome, Ian. If you think about it, please report back in this thread after you finish. Thanks!

Peter G
(BuddyJ) - F

Locale: Western Oklahoma
Read it recently on 11/20/2013 09:40:05 MST Print View

Read the book recently and it gave me better insight into how the company works and the importance of letting values drive your organization. For me, working at a smaller start-up company who is desperately trying to define its culture, it was nice to see an example of a company who's been down that road and experienced the benefits and problems along the way. I also really took from it a drive to buy less gear and it sparked a desire to shop for quality used gear instead of always buying new.

Having read the book, it's also clear that the company both wrestles with and ignores certain aspects of doing business in a global economy. They don't seem bothered that they ship products all over the world for manufacturing using planes and ships that consume gobs of oil, but they'll give employees time off to go fight against hydroelectric dams and bail them out of jail if the person is arrested for civil disobedience. It's a loaded word, but the only thing that comes to mind is "hypocrisy."

I'll probably never buy Patagonia gear at retail, but I'll happily pick it up off the gear deals here. The used Nano vest I got earlier this year from there has been wonderful, and knowing that it can be repaired by the company makes me that much more likely to use it for its intended purpose.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Read it recently on 11/20/2013 10:07:53 MST Print View

"It's a loaded word, but the only thing that comes to mind is "hypocrisy.""

We're all the same in that hypocrisy is in all of us. We're all different in that the levels are different. I like the following quote by Maya Angelou: “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”

Thanks for you post, Peter. Thanks also to all the others who have posted. IMHO, these subjects are important to talk about.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Read it recently on 11/20/2013 10:11:15 MST Print View

"It's a loaded word, but the only thing that comes to mind is "hypocrisy.""

Perhaps a different word comes to my mind that's a little less loaded: compromise. We all do it, and in today's world it's hard to get away from. I guess it comes down to what you're willing to compromise on, and how much.

Peter G
(BuddyJ) - F

Locale: Western Oklahoma
Compromise on 11/20/2013 10:41:33 MST Print View

Compromise is a good word, and certainly less inflammatory. I still get the impression that Chouinard is doing more than just compromising when his personal philosophies are diametrically opposed to some of his business's practices. It's obviously a tough place to be in, hence why he and others write so many editorials and essays to be included in their catalogs and website. Which, now that I think about is, is why in the book he references his so-called "atonement for his sins" despite not being a religious man.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Fun little film. on 11/25/2013 08:51:32 MST Print View

Just found this. Thought some of you might like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z20CjCim8DM

From Patagonia: "Worn Wear is an exploration of quality – in the things we own and the lives we live. This short film takes you to an off-the-grid surf camp in Baja, Mexico; a family's maple syrup harvest in Contoocook, Vermont; an organic farm in Ojai, California; and into the lives of a champion skier, a National Geographic photographer, and a legendary alpinist. It also features exclusive interviews with Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard."

"Released as an antidote to the Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping frenzy, Worn Wear is an invitation to celebrate the stuff you already own."

Edited by rustyb on 11/25/2013 08:52:44 MST.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: Fun little film. on 11/26/2013 07:37:40 MST Print View

Just finished the book. A wonderful read. I had previously read and enjoyed "The Responsible Company" and liked this book even more.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Fun little film. on 11/29/2013 07:54:24 MST Print View

nm

Edited by annapurna on 11/29/2013 07:55:10 MST.

Zard Oz
(tyemax2) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Patagonia and let my ppl go surfing on 11/29/2013 23:18:16 MST Print View

I love some of their stuff ( favs are R-1 fleece, guide pants), but don't like some of their other products ( hated the Black Hole pack). I do like the effort they put into pioneering environmental causes. Price wise they are steep, I'm willing to pay more for good quality. Brand name gear can be crap. Most of the big outdoor companies sell non technical clothing with their labels to make a quick buck. I won't pay more for a brand even if I like the founder.
Wonder what will happen when Chouinard passes on. Will they become the like TNF? Hope not.
I liked the book. Check out 180 degrees South it's a film they sponsored.

Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Re: Patagonia and let my ppl go surfing on 11/30/2013 08:38:38 MST Print View

"Wonder what will happen when Chouinard passes on?"

I have been wondering the same thing, Zard. I'm hoping that those who are working there, because they share the same ideals, will take it over continuing Yvon's legacy. At any rate, I'll check out 180° South.

Also, I just found the following last night...a partnership between Patagonia and ifixit. Check it out: http://www.ifixit.com/Patagonia

Edited by rustyb on 11/30/2013 11:44:34 MST.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 11/30/2013 11:26:06 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 01/16/2014 21:27:37 MST.