Forum Index » GEAR » Looking for a 4 ounce folding saw

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Gardner
(GardnerOutdoorLD) - M

Locale: Northern California
Re: Curved 11.5" sub-4 ounce saw on 11/21/2013 09:55:57 MST Print View

The 11.5" curved blade sawed through a 4 x 4 in less than 2 minutes. \

The two first saws I made took much longer; long enough that I gave up after 5 minutes. I think it's not just because of the shorter blades, but because they are made for power tools to cut curves the blades are much thicker and have more tooth offset, and therefore cut a bigger kerf. More wood to cut = more effort and more time.

The folding Gerber cut through the 4 x 4 in 2.5 minutes. The chain saw tooth design is very effective. Regrettably, it seems Gerber no longer makes this saw.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster) - F

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Recip vs hand blade on 11/21/2013 10:36:35 MST Print View

Makes sense to me.

I've never been able to hand saw with a reciprocal blade, with anywhere near the efficiency, as a chisel point handsaw blade.* I'm not sure I'd want to take a converted recip blade into the back country. They seem to be optimized for motorized use.

* the blade in the photo labeled 11.5 is a chisel point handsaw blade. Sometimes called Japanese style. You can go with a very light thin blade if you get a Japanese pull saw. Cuts on pull only. If you push it bends. Check sources like garret wade, rockler, amazon.

Edited by Bolster on 11/21/2013 10:46:33 MST.

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Re: RE: Looking for a 4 ounce folding saw on 11/21/2013 10:41:45 MST Print View

>> Am I missing something, can't your original saw be resharpened?

Good point. I had considered it, but assumed that it wouldn't be worth it. I don't have the tools to sharpen it myself, and I assume that taking to some place to sharpen it would be more expensive than buying a new one. I also figured I would try and find something that was a little better. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it. Generally speaking, the saws are heavier (but better) or lighter, but not quite as good. Or they don't fold or are discontinued.

So, I think I'll look into saw sharpening, and if that doesn't work out, then I'll get the Felco.