Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Taking good parmesan cheese on the trail

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jörg Wunderlich-Pfeiffer
(bobjob)
Re: Watch zipper bags on 11/19/2013 13:39:34 MST Print View

Parmesan has a lot of salt in it. With time and exposure to air it tend to migrate to the outsite of the cheese. And because salt has sharp edges it may have shredded your bag.

-- edit for typos --

Edited by bobjob on 11/19/2013 13:40:14 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Taking Kraft "parmesan cheese" on the trail on 11/19/2013 15:38:48 MST Print View

"Does it contain cheese?"

Yup. It's the third ingredient after potassium sorbate in the list of ingredients.

;0)

Karen Kennedy
(karenk) - MLife

Locale: NE NSW - Australian subtropics
Parmigiano on 11/21/2013 00:58:58 MST Print View

Years ago on our first outback (4WD) trip
I was over zealous in my food packing and took too much Grana Padano (cryovacced wedges, rind on). At the end of the 6 week trip I unearthed a couple of wedges from the bottom of the food box - unrefrigerated the whole time, no evidence of spoilage, and they tasted fine. That was after a trip in our Kimberley region i.e. tropics, albeit in a food box stored in as cool a place in the car as possible.

Hence I always carry parmigiano in a chunk and grate it on site -
more to ensure it tastes as fresh as possible rather than from a concern over contamination. A mini grater is a small weight penalty for real parmi!

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Taking good parmesan cheese on the trail on 11/21/2013 04:46:26 MST Print View

well ... what IS cheese after all? It is an ancient biotechnology for storing milk without refrigeration. Cheese is aged, sometimes for months, at moderate non-refrigerated temps.

Hard cheeses store better. Pack in a way that moderates high temperature swings and +1 on not shredding in advance.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Other Cheeses? on 11/21/2013 15:52:46 MST Print View

Very slight thread drift here -- has anyone tried dehydrating other grated cheeses (like cheddar or jack) in their home dehydrator? How did that work out?

And sure, the "good stuff" is best, but let's face it, even Cheetos taste AMAZING after a long day on the trail! ;~)

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
re: other cheeses on 11/21/2013 16:58:00 MST Print View

Great question Valerie, my thoughts would be that the high fat content in softer cheeses would be a problem in a dehydrator, but I've never tried it so no idea.

And I agree with your last statement, I've eaten more than my fair share of less than healthy food on the trail, but I've really become more aware of what I eat at home and it's just bled over into what I eat on the trail. The way I now look at it is why not just dehydrate the same real food I eat at home to take on the trail. :-), of course it's always a case of HYOH, and I'm not certainly not a long distance hiker.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: Tokyo, Japan
Re: re: other cheeses on 11/21/2013 17:23:50 MST Print View

Another good trail cheese is Mimolette and hard, black rind Dutch Gouda.

Edited by rmjapan on 11/21/2013 17:29:57 MST.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Re: re: other cheeses on 11/21/2013 19:02:41 MST Print View

String Cheese. It can get a bit greasy in warmer climes... but holds up well in the High Sierra during the summer...

Bill