Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
M50 Down Max Pullover
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
M50 Down Max Pullover on 11/17/2013 15:26:55 MST Print View

I turned a blunder into an interesting jacket. I had originally made a primaloft pullover jacket based on an adjusted thru-hiker.com Kinsman jacket from gray M50. I washed this jacket in a washing machine. Even though I have done this with other primaloft MYOG items this jacket got wound around the agitator and the spin cycle left the inner primaloft shredded into clumps. I was close to throwing the jacket out when I got the idea to open the jacket up and see if I could redistribute the primaloft and sew it into mini chambers like a Patagonia Nano puff. Unfortunately the primaloft was too shredded. Since I have wanted to make a medium weight down jacket to use in cold temps I worked carefully to remove all the primaloft then sewed chambers for down and stuffed the jacket.

Here is a picture of the finished jacket. It has a double layer loft of of 2.75".
LytW8 Down Max Pullover
LytW8 M50 Down Max Pullover

The new jacket I call the LytW8 Down Max Pullover. It is made from m50 fabric and stuffed with 3.5 oz of 900 fill power down. The jacket weighs 6.5 oz in total. I used it over the past 3 days over the AT in NC/TN and I can say it is much much warmer than my old Montbell down inner ever was.

Here is a picture of original jacket when it was primaloft.
Original primaloft jacket

For comparison, here is a picture of my first M50 down jacket that is stuffed with 2.25 oz of down and weighs 5.1 oz. This jacket I would say is only marginally warmer than a Montbell down inner.

First down pullover

What surprised me the most was that it was possible to open up the side seams of a kinsman and with careful planning it could be stuffed with down and then sewn back up.

Jamie

Edited by jshortt on 11/17/2013 16:53:59 MST.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: M50 Down Max Pullover on 11/17/2013 17:05:18 MST Print View

Nice work Jamie. How long did the whole process take? Seems like would take a while for something so tedious. Definitely paid off though.

Ryan

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Re: Re: M50 Down Max Pullover on 11/17/2013 18:46:58 MST Print View

Ryan, Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly slow with my projects. So yes this one took awhile. I bet 10-12 hours in total. First I had to remove all the stitching on the seams that run under the arms and along the sides. This is a French seam so it is double stitched. After that I pulled the primaloft out. It took a fair amount of time pulling it off any place it was actually stitched to fabric. Next was laying out the baffles. I used chalk to draw them onto the shell. Then I stuffed the collar and jacket top front. Next I sewed baffles and stuffed the remaining body. The same was then done to the sleeves. After that I re-sewed the side French seams, but had to do so without the trimming step as I did not want to loose any width.

So yeah it was probably closer to 12 hours when all was done.

Jamie

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
awesome on 11/17/2013 19:16:20 MST Print View

That is so awesome. I can't even imagine tackling a project like that.
Looks very professionally done!

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: M50 Down Max Pullover on 11/17/2013 20:34:25 MST Print View

Jamie, you have done it again!

Man I have to hand it to ya ... a jacket that light with that much down!!! I hope I make a blunder like that!

Positively a GREAT looking jacket - one that will serve you well on colder trips.

Colin Krusor
(ckrusor) - M

Locale: Northwest US
jacket on 11/17/2013 21:46:02 MST Print View

Jamie, that jacket looks great. As others have said, the ratio of fill weight to total weight is very impressive. Nice work.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Re: M50 Down Max Pullover on 11/27/2013 09:10:33 MST Print View

Thanks for the compliments. They motivated me to finally finish instructions for how to make a down pullover. Here is a link to the instructions on my website.

LytW8.com\my_gear\LytW8 M50 Down Pullover Instructions

Any one wanting to do this I highly recommend completing a synthetic kinsman first from thru-hiker.com. You will learn a lot that will transfer into making a down version.

Jamie

Derek Weeks
(Lighting12) - MLife
Re: Re: M50 Down Max Pullover on 11/27/2013 14:12:46 MST Print View

That's awesome Jamie.....thanks!!