Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Backpacker Magazine $4.50/year - Sunday Nov 7 Only
Display Avatars Sort By:
Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Backpacker Magazine $4.50/year - Sunday Nov 17 Only on 11/17/2013 09:19:37 MST Print View

[Edit: Title should read Nov 17, not Nov 7, sorry. Will repost.]

Discount mags offers a Backpacker Magazine subscription at $4.50/year (today only, I think: Nov 17) but you must enter code DEALNEWS on checkout.

http://www.discountmags.com/product/5702/backpacker?

You can purchase up to 3 years at that rate.

Apologies that this is not technically "gear." Also, no affiliation.

Edited by Bolster on 11/17/2013 11:38:48 MST.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Backpacker Magazine $4.50/year - Sunday Nov 7 Only on 11/17/2013 09:24:34 MST Print View

IMO, a waste of money at any price.

YMMV

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: Backpacker Magazine $4.50/year - Sunday Nov 7 Only on 11/17/2013 09:27:03 MST Print View

I would have to agree with Bob.

You can get it free with your membership to the Pacific Crest Trail Association

Today is the 17th

Edited by longstride on 11/17/2013 09:29:13 MST.

Caleb Johnson
(fastpakr)
OP's price is correct on 11/17/2013 09:31:11 MST Print View

The coupon code definitely drops the price down to $4.50 a year. Whether it's worth that to you is, of course, debatable.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
My bad: 17 on 11/17/2013 09:31:13 MST Print View

My bad, "17" not "7". Corrected, but the subject line in the subforum list is carved in stone.

Yes, I was aware that some BPL'ers don't like the mag when I posted, but thought it was a decent deal, and that folks could make up their own minds. Apparently the PCT Association doesn't think it's horrible, or they wouldn't distribute it.

You'll think I'm strange, but I like to read the advertisements in it!

Me: "Oooo! If I had two thousand dollars, I'd buy THAT sleeping bag!"

Edited by Bolster on 11/17/2013 09:41:26 MST.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Backpacker Magazine $4.50/year - Sunday Nov 17 Only on 11/17/2013 10:13:19 MST Print View

Thanks for the plug for PCTA membership!

Yes, it does indeed include a free subscription to Backpacker. They generously donate it, so there is no cost to PCTA.

With membership, you actually get two magazine subscriptions. The second is the PCT Communicator. Generally, we're averaging 10-11 columns and articles in each issue. I'm biased, but I think it's a worthwhile read.

That's on top of the core purpose of joining PCTA: charitable giving.

There's no need for me to defend Backpacker, but I'd point out that for the price of a cappuchino, you are getting at least a few original, long form articles about cool hiking stories. I have glut of hiking information coming at me, and I'll always take time to read BPer's lead articles.

Happy hiking!

- PCTA, trail info dude