Balancing vanity, utility, and economy
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Town vs backcountry on 11/18/2013 16:21:53 MST Print View

"So I wear a softshell that looks less like an outdoor jacket and more like casual wear at a glance for milder weather. Versatile, too."

+1

I bought a new Arc'teryx Gamma jacket back in the mid 90's at a seconds store for $125 and finally wore it out enough that what little vanity remains in me at this point in my life whispered softly in my ear, "C'mon, you old cheepskate, shell out and stop embarrassing your wife". Serendipitously, at about that time some BPLer, Delmar, I believe, posted that Costco was selling the latest Gamma for $140, so I caved and picked one up. Now I'm set for another 15 years or so and my wife has a smile on her face when we step out, instead of a sneer. ;0)

The old Gamma was passed on to a local charity where someone even less concerned about appearances will no doubt get at least another 5 years of functional use out of it, as I had all the zippers replaced under warranty before I let it go.

Like many who have posted, I am sceptical about trying to use my backpacking clothing, which is quite specialized, in urban settings. They are 2 different environments that require different approaches to dressing oneself. My 2 cents.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Natural vs. synthetic on 11/18/2013 16:36:19 MST Print View

Most clothing for daily wear tends to favor some sort of natural fiber (excluding the 1970's Ron Burgundy type polyester suits from Anchorman), whereas outdoor clothing has progressed into synthetics, … some rather delicate. Unless one works in an outdoorsy field (field engineer, outdoor instructor, REI store personnel, .. or has to present an outdoors appearance (like civilians as defense contractors who need to interact with troops and their leaders - from a business fashion book).

Anyways, most outdoor apparel makers have a "casual/mountain lifestyle" line if one has a need to blur the line.

ed: punctuation

Edited by hknewman on 11/18/2013 16:38:17 MST.