Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Havasupai Canyon

Display Avatars Sort By:
Mike Barney
(eaglemb) - F

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!
Re: Re: Havasupai Canyon on 07/24/2007 15:51:46 MDT Print View

Thanks for the update Elliott.
FYI, approval was received this month to pave and improve the road up to the trailhead.. Whether or not that is good news or bad news is up to you, but it will be easier and safer to get there, with 10,000 others ;)

Elliot Lockwood
(elockwood) - F
Re: Re: Re: Havasupai Canyon on 07/25/2007 18:07:34 MDT Print View

Interesting. The road up there was just fine, if only a little windy - maybe they will be straightening it? They're probably also going to double (triple?) the parking area. There are so many people there that the cars line up on either side of the road for about half a mile down the road out of the parking area.

Frank Feagans
(ffeagans) - F

Locale: Midwest USA
Havasau on 07/30/2007 23:17:35 MDT Print View

A buddy and I hiked Havasau 2 Fall's ago, and actually enjoyed it. We've done over 400 miles of Grand Canyon hiking, and prefer the remote / pristine experiences, but the Havasau allure of the beautiful creek, the waterfalls, and the history convinced us to just expect a Phantom Ranch like experience and go for it.

We encountered very little garbage, etc. The hike down to Supai was boring but goes fast - just dodge the mule/horse trains and ignore the helicopters. We found Supai itself to be interesting, bought a soda or two at the store, and had a hot breakfast at the restaurant on the way out.

The Supai people were either nice to us, stared at us, or ignored us, but we did not feel uncomfortable. Some of the homes were trashed out, but others were nicely kept up.

The 2 miles beyond Supai are an easy and well traveled walk, but the views of the waterfalls are nice. There were a few portable toilets on both ends of the 1 mile campground, a safe spring about 1/2 way in, and enough spots to camp where you can get some solitude if you get there early enough to find one.

The highlight was the dayhike down the chains at Mooney Falls and to Beaver Falls and back. Depending on your water intake, all you need is a 70-100 oz Camelback with some snacks, wear some Keen sandals, and put your camera in a waterproof bag in case you forget it is in your pants pocket when crossing the stream.

Do NOT drink the stream water, even treated - bring enough water from the spring.

All in all, we are glad we visited Havasu, and would go there again sometime with our wives. But we still prefer the other trails and routes in Grand Canyon.

Kathy Bartosh
(sumo) - F

Locale: Southern Quebec
Re: Re: Re: Desert Soliaire on 04/29/2010 09:09:08 MDT Print View

Hi George:

Just read through some posts going back to my pre-Canyon trip. I did buy a copy of Desert Solitaire while down there. If anything could be a bible to me that might be it.

Really love the quote you posted. You didn't give the title of the book. Do you remember it?

Thanks for sharing words to live by...

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: Havasu Canyon on 04/29/2010 12:09:28 MDT Print View

My wife and I spend 3 days and two nights in the canyon in July of 2006, including hiking all the way to the Colorado River.

Despite the occasional trash along the trail and the large number of people it is AMAZING!

See link below for my trip report:
http://caseyandemily.com/Backpack/2006/2006_07_Havasu/HavasuCanyon.htm

Kathy Bartosh
(sumo) - F

Locale: Southern Quebec
Havasupai canyon on 04/29/2010 13:03:00 MDT Print View

Wow! Thanks for the link. It seems almost impossible that this place could exist.

I had never seen a photo of the village until today.

We did 4 parks on that trip (GC, ZION, BRYCE & DEATH V.) so time was tight. (We live in Montreal.) Next time, we'll see Mooney falls & also do all of Bright Angel. Mid-July is not the best time to do those hikes!

Happy trails!

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Havasupai on 05/09/2010 10:44:13 MDT Print View

I took my nephews Boy Scout troop here on a 2 night backpacking trip this last President's Day Weekend. Many changes from 4 years ago.

1) Navajo Falls was destroyed in the last big flood. There is a waterfall in its place, about 300 yards upstream.
2) The silt from the washout buried the campground, in my opinion improved the surface you camp on.
3) The silt also filled the pools below both Havasu and Mooney falls.
4) The creek cut a new channel through the middle of the campground, there is some minor damming and construction underway restoring it to the old channel on the northside of the campground. Not sure if there is any intent to fill the new channel.
5) The flood rerouted Havasu Falls. It used to be split into two streams, it now flows only over the south side. It is still beautiful, but I think less so.
6) The flood also destroyed the spring house. There is still water available, but now they advise treating it before drinking.
7) The pit toilets in the campground are now composting, they were well maintained. Contrary to previous visits they were well maintained. (I hate to think that the old toilets guts, feathers, and all now sit at the bottom of Lake Mead)
8) The cafe in the village has reopened. For the first time in my several visits spanning 25 years it was actually clean and I wasn't afraid of getting something to eat there.

Other notes, the trail from Hualupai Hilltop to Supai Village is strewn with litter, no real change here but still a shame.

All in all we had an enjoyable trip, great weather (warm enough for a swim).

I'll get around to posting some pics soon.

Steven Thompson
(stevet) - M

Locale: Northeast
Re: Havasupai on 05/09/2010 22:08:37 MDT Print View

After several failed attempts I finally got the pics to upload.

The "new" Navajo Falls
The "new" Navajo Falls

The Campground
The Campground

Mooney Falls
Mooney Falls

Havasu Falls
Havasu Falls

Edited by stevet on 05/15/2010 17:06:04 MDT.