ZPacks Hexamid Solplex
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Solplex or Hexamid Solo? on 11/20/2013 16:04:41 MST Print View

Just saw this today when I opened up Zpack's website. Dammit! Now I have to sell my hexamid and get the tent I really wanted with a bathtub floor. :) Or should I stick with the Hexamid with mesh floor?

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
hex on 11/20/2013 21:52:05 MST Print View

Or you could mail it to Joe and have them sew a bathtub floor into your hexamid.

David Poston
(dgposton) - F

Locale: Texas / Colorado
Hexamid vs. Soloplex on 11/20/2013 21:55:03 MST Print View

I asked him about this when I first ordered my tent a few months ago. He said that the bathtub floor was never part of the original Hexamid design and he discouraged it. I think the Soloplex must be a different shelter from the ground up, whereas the Hexamid was originally designed with the mesh floor in mind. I haven't emailed Joe about the Soloplex yet, since I just saw it on his website today.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
soloplex on 01/17/2014 11:27:10 MST Print View

The soloplex has two doors so it's a more button down sheltor in the rain.
In my experience the cuben has much less condensation than silnylon under the same conditions. I don't trust cuben floors to keep me dry or to stand up to the wear and tear. I supposed you could cut a big hole the the floor (leave the sides) and tape in tyvek and used polycro over that in the rain. I usually end up bring tyvek to put under my shelters so I'd save some weight.
Looks like a great shelter just what I've been looking for.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Setting up without trekking poles on 04/29/2014 10:15:39 MDT Print View

I often see people commenting on how they don't use trekking poles, and how they'll need to carry extra poles or weight... I guess this won't work above tree line, but I'd like to point out that you can go minimalist on this problem and just use branches you find on the ground.

I have used a nemo Meta 1P on and off in the northeast and its funny, because the first time I brought it out I just knew I'd use my trekking poles. What I didn't consider was that I wanted to USE my trekking poles while leaving the tent set up at "base camp." DUH how did I not think about that? So I just grabbed some sturdy sticks/branches that I found, broke them to the correct lengths, rounded out the end that fits into the fabric to make sure it wasn't sharp, and used the others for the tie offs.

Anyway, food for thought. No extra weight, free materials, etc.