"Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 18:45:19 MST Print View

Deleted.

Edited by Kat_P on 11/14/2013 19:12:33 MST.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 18:47:47 MST Print View

Yes, exactly Ian. My comment was that price is so low for a "name" albeit European brand, makes me question it's origin. It very well could be real, but it also may have fallen off the back of a truck. Certainly the tag looks somewhat legit when compared to my Jack Wolfskin ski jacket tags. But my logo is on left, not right.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 18:51:04 MST Print View

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/15/2013 07:24:38 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 18:54:48 MST Print View

Edited

That cat better watch out

Fox

Edited by Kat_P on 11/14/2013 19:38:18 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 18:55:26 MST Print View

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/15/2013 07:25:22 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:01:05 MST Print View

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/15/2013 07:25:56 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:06:43 MST Print View

Troubling cat. And shameless promotion of my picture .

Cat

Edited by Kat_P on 11/14/2013 19:40:21 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:10:06 MST Print View

BPL = Bi Po Lar

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:10:53 MST Print View

I really think it's time to abort this thread, and I'm not just shooting from the hip here. There's definitely been a change in climate, and I'm not convinced that REI had anything to do with it. So it's time to move on, by God. (Did I get them all?)

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Oy vey... on 11/14/2013 19:12:44 MST Print View

face palm

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:13:07 MST Print View

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/15/2013 07:26:26 MST.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:14:12 MST Print View

Deleted.
Cat picture instead.

Cat

Edited by Kat_P on 11/14/2013 20:27:22 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:23:56 MST Print View

Edited by IDBLOOM on 11/15/2013 07:27:01 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:33:00 MST Print View

"With this money the girls (mothers) were able to feed and clothe their children, and get them schooling and medical attention. The poverty loop was broken."

Makes the point quite well. There is a saying, Japanese in origin I believe but not entirely sure on this, that Americans see the world as they want it to be, whereas Asians see it as it is. Worth pondering? I personally believe that seeing the world as we want it to be can potentially lead to a better life for all of us, but that impulse needs to be tempered by a cold, hard appreciation of the world as it is, and not to confuse the two when it comes to taking action.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Everything... on 11/14/2013 19:38:26 MST Print View

"Now THERE'S an issue that needs more action from the West!!!!!!"

Now just a doggone minute there!!! :[ That sex trade you're badmouthing is the foundation of our multi billion dollar advertising industry. ;0) ;0) ;0)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: "slave" with at least a full belly and perhaps a couple of rupees to contribute to their family's survival on 11/14/2013 19:41:58 MST Print View

"The system perpetuates itself while churning out an endless supply of land fill material."

Now that is an interesting perspective on the plight of people on the edge of survival. Children as landfill material, if I'm understanding you correctly. I'm at a loss for words.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker)

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: "slave" with at least a full belly and perhaps a couple of rupees to contribute to their family's survival on 11/14/2013 19:48:33 MST Print View

Tom, I think he was referring to the massive amount of garbage generated when people buy disposable or throw-away items, including cheap outdoor clothing with a short lifespan. By buying high quality clothing, it lasts longer and you throw away less.

Edited by justin_baker on 11/14/2013 19:49:36 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the bigger picture on 11/14/2013 19:50:14 MST Print View

"I really think it's time to abort this thread, and I'm not just shooting from the hip here. There's definitely been a change in climate"

We've got enough censorship going on around here as it is. I propose that instead the moderator move it over to The Great Carbon Flame War, where Tallbloke can analyze it and determine whether or not it represents a troubling long term trend, or is just a BiPoLar short term oscillation.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "slave" with at least a full belly and perhaps a couple of rupees to contribute to their family's survival on 11/14/2013 19:56:04 MST Print View

"Tom, I think he was referring to the massive amount of garbage generated when people buy disposable or throw-away items, including cheap outdoor clothing with a short lifespan. By buying high quality clothing, it lasts longer and you throw away less."

Thanks for putting a positive slant on his post. Hopefully you're on the mark. I admit to a tendency to see the dark side of humanity at this point in my life. Guess I've been around too long, and maybe seen too much darkness. Time for the landfill? ;0)

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
jacket on 11/14/2013 20:02:00 MST Print View

As Valerie said " I guess I'm a bit naïve, but my first thought was that this was either a factory over-run, or a factory run that was rejected by the contracting company (Jack Wolfskin)"

And I'm inclined to agree. If anybody will bother to check out the eBay listing, nowhere does it say that it's a Jack Wolfskin jacket, other than in logo in the picture. It's simply advertised as a wind jacket.

As many have mentioned, the logo is on the "wrong" side. This could have been the factories mistake, and the jackets they produced could have been rejected/canceled by Jack Wolfskin and they are selling it to make up the loss, while not explicitly advertising it as a Jack Wolfskin jacket.

Of course, they could be counterfeit as well, the point is, none of us know. But, at the price and the fact that they aren't trying to exploit the brand name in the listing makes it seem more likely that it's a overrun/canceled/mistake production.