Forum Index » GEAR » "Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing

Display Avatars Sort By:
VA S
(VA) - F
What size is wife 'normally'? on 12/04/2013 11:56:59 MST Print View

Delmar - I see your wife's height and that the Large fit well but do you happen to know what size she'd take if this were your average 'American-sized' jacket? Thanks!

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
got mine on 12/04/2013 16:17:07 MST Print View

Just got mine and my fiance's. I ordered a large hoping for it to fit like a medium.... But it fits like a small which still works for me, I just can't layer a puffy under it. It'll work well with a grid fleece or something, though. The sleeves are still a tad short though. They end just above my wrist with no extra length to pull down lower. Also, the hood is a bit weird... It's a cone head/KKK hood style, and it doesn't quite come around far enough to cover my cheeks

My lady's medium fits her with room to fit a down jacket under it without any compression (she's an XS).

So, to recap: large fits like a small but the sleeves are short, even for a short person like me with no ape index.

Medium fits like a women's small and a woman who normally wears XS can fit a puffy under it.

Construction quality is pretty nice considering how cheap this jacket was. We'll have to see how it performs out in the field soon.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 12/04/2013 16:22:23 MST.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
For VA S on 12/04/2013 18:27:02 MST Print View

VA S - check yr PM.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

not very water resistant on 12/04/2013 23:46:42 MST Print View

I ran the faucet over the sleeve and it shrugged the water off fine (aerated), but under the shower at 1/3 power, the water simply shot through two layers of fabric and my hand got wet immediately.

Upon closer inspection, the fabric weave is not very tight, like you would find on a Houdini or ghost whisper wind jacket or stoic wraith (pertex quantum gl).

I'm sure it'll breath very well, but I'll have to see how wind resistant it ends up being.

I'm going to remove the Velcro on the hood as I don't really feel the need to roll the hood away as I don't bushwhack or anything.

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 12/05/2013 07:52:53 MST.

VA S
(VA) - F
Thanks! on 12/05/2013 04:57:47 MST Print View

Thanks for the sizing and water test info And E! Thanks to you too Delmar, and I'll check my PM's once I figure out how! (Could I feel MORE like a newbie....looked a while and I'm sure it will make me laugh once I do figure it out :P)

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

PM on 12/05/2013 07:52:04 MST Print View

The personal message gets emailed to the email account you set it up with. Check your spam or promotional/social folder if using gmail.

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
"Manly" color choice on 12/13/2013 00:35:45 MST Print View

Hi.

Well, it seems that the consensus is that these are women's jackets. Nevertheless, I believe that the XXL would fit.

I ordered the "blue" (not sky blue) and found it to be kinda feminine in color. There's the dark green option. Have any of you guys ordered that color? Is it "girly?"

Thanks

rhz

cody yochum
(uclacody0908) - F

Locale: Nor Cal
dark green on 12/13/2013 01:11:55 MST Print View

Not girly at all

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

not girly on 12/13/2013 01:47:14 MST Print View

I also ordered the dark green and it is not girly. I wish I had ordered an XL or XXL instead of the L, as I can't layer it over a puffy (but fits fine over a fleece).

If anybody wants to trade their XL/XXL for my L, drop me a PM

Edited by LunchANDYnner on 12/13/2013 01:47:46 MST.

Mike Stromsoe
(phstudio) - F - M

Locale: So. Cal.
Sizing on 12/13/2013 14:33:28 MST Print View

This is probably the sizing chart that they should have had on their Ebay page. I got it from the Japanese Montbell page. It should work for these women's Chinese garments.

There is no XXL on this chart but by extrapolating info from the men's sizing chart, a women's XXL windshirt should be about 101CM to 107CM.

Use row 2 for your chest size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A J
(tahiti) - F
Here's an XXL on 12/13/2013 15:20:37 MST Print View

Here's my XXL, I'm 5'11", 165 lbs. I tried on a houdini at REI and I'd say this fits like a men's medium/large (I usually wear medium, and can fit my nano puff under this).

XXL

Edited by tahiti on 12/13/2013 15:22:45 MST.

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: "Manly" color choice on 12/13/2013 15:23:45 MST Print View

I have the green. It's awesome.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
tooooo small :( on 12/16/2013 18:10:32 MST Print View

So I finally just got mine in the mail and its way to small for me if anyone wants to buy it

Its a green in large. $16 shipped and no waiting 3-4 weeks for shipping from china

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: tooooo small :( on 12/16/2013 18:55:03 MST Print View

So for anyone who wants to buy one, paypal the $16 to me instead. This way you won't be disappointed in the product and the money will be better spent on beer or steak.

Velimir Kemec
(velimirkemec) - F
Faux-dini on 01/03/2014 10:30:14 MST Print View

Hi,

"I have the green. It's awesome"
+1 to that!

XXL fits like M but the sleeves are tad shorter to Cirrus wind shirt (RAB).
For 15$ it will make for a nice summer day windshirt..Since it's very breathable
it might work as walking shirt only?

Cheers

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Price Hiked to $35 on 02/07/2014 13:25:38 MST Print View

Price Hiked to $35. Bye bye, $13 jacket.

Edited by Bolster on 02/07/2014 13:26:24 MST.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: Price Hiked to $35 on 02/07/2014 14:43:05 MST Print View

HO-LEE crap! I wonder what's up with that???? This thread has been dead for a while, so I don't imagine sales are skyrocketing (unless some other group discovered these, and have been buying them like mad...).

That said, I take mine on every hike, and I think it's a great piece -- but I've never worn a Houdini (had one, briefly, but it was too small for me), so this is all I know.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Ancient Wisdom on 02/07/2014 15:08:02 MST Print View

I believe it was Confucius who wrote:

"If Sei Gweilo likes,
The price you quickly hikes."

Edited by Bolster on 02/07/2014 15:09:34 MST.

Paul Hatfield
(clear_blue_skies) - F
Price increase on 02/07/2014 20:27:45 MST Print View

I sent the eBay seller a question asking them about the price increase.

It's a shame the price has gone up so dramatically. For some reason, I was thinking the jacket didn't have a hood... otherwise I would have gotten one. But it does have a hood.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Ancient Wisdom on 02/07/2014 20:34:14 MST Print View

I didn't know Confucius spoke broken English.