Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing on 11/23/2013 21:50:35 MST Print View

Can someone please take a close up shot of the logo on that jacket ?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: A review on 11/23/2013 23:57:01 MST Print View

"I say that it is clearly one of the above because of what I know with certainty now that I received one: First, it comes in a Jack Wolfskin plastic bag. Second, it says Jack Wolfskin in two places on the actual garment. And Third, the tag that came on the jacket is the official red and back Jack Wolfskin tag stating, "At home outdoors in wind and rain - JACK WOLFSKIN OUTDOOR APPAREL is your reliable partner in every situation........" in German, English, French, and Chinese. The tag even points to their official website of www.jack-wolfskin.com."

Counterfeits can be quite good. I bought a TNF pack that had the logo cast in all the hardware. The packaging and labels are easier to knock off than the product and might even come off the same printing line. The guys who do the sewing already know the printers--- might be family too. A lot of this stuff is sold on the side of the road and market squares in other countries and the packaging adds to the cache. As you have found out, there are many sizing standards worldwide.

This isn't new and it is widespread. We are generally insulated from these products by our government, but eBay creates a lot of holes, I'm sure.

Best of luck!

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: A review on 11/24/2013 13:59:48 MST Print View

So I had a Kinsman Pullover from thru-hiker with M90.
It was the first article of clothing I made and the seams around the zipper weren't straight.

So I undid the seams, took the zipper and the outside fabric off and attached it to one of these wind jackets.
I was going to use 2 of these jackets, but didn't need to as I just forgot that the seams were off on the jacket and a total loss from it being that way.
Once I took the seams apart, the 2 lined up almost perfectly.

The only thing with the Faux is the sleeve length.
I would not get one of these jackets for any reason because of the sleeve length.
The only other flawed area on this jacket is the elastic around the sleeves and waist are way to tight.
Okay, the hood fit isn't so hot either.

With all 3 of these fixed, I would give the jacket a 9 out of 10.
With everything wrong, it's a solid 4.

Even at 2.3 ounces, it's a crapy fitting wind jacket.
I don't mind it that much for what I'm using it for but unless you have extremely short arms and no neck, this thing will look stupid on you if you wore it around.

Mine came in at 8.7 ounces with the 2.5 ounce insulation inside. The TNF next to it is 9.8.
I just wanted one of these for the full zip and no insulation in the hood.qwe

2er

3fg

4ty

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing on 11/24/2013 15:12:20 MST Print View

OK, close but no cigar :
JK China
JK Germany

Jon Leibowitz
(jleeb) - F - MLife

Locale: 4Corners
Re: Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing on 11/24/2013 16:02:00 MST Print View

Close but no cigar on the garment, but check out the tag....it's an exact replica.

tag

I'm thinking it's just a knock-off and they randomly chose Jack Wolfskin as the unlucky brand to market the thing. I can't even find an equal product on Wolfskin's actual website.

Edited by jleeb on 11/24/2013 16:16:02 MST.

Corbin McFarlane
(raven15) - MLife
Chinese Jacket on 11/24/2013 16:30:35 MST Print View

Yeah, this is a pretty typical Chinese jacket. I've looked for things like this over there, but never purchased because I had no way to assess weight, quality, or performance.

And-E, I am almost exactly the same size as you, and in China I wear XXL. So I think you will find it way too small.

Ron D
(dillonr) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing on 11/24/2013 16:30:58 MST Print View

For what it's worth I sent a message to them asking if the windshirt was a Jack Wolfskin and if so which model. Their response was:
"Thanks for your message. I am sorry but it is not original Jack Wolfskin products.

Best wishes.

chntrade"

If you search on ebay you will also see the identical windshirt being offered by multiple sellers. It's most likely that chntrade is just a vendor(among several) that purchased the shells from a factory and is just dumping them cheaply on ebay. I didn't see any of the vendors attempting to claim them as Jack Wolfskin products in their description.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Re: Re: Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing on 11/25/2013 07:47:20 MST Print View

When I was in Nepal about 10 years ago, the Kathmandu vendors were hilarious. I bought an "Everest quality!" Noth Farce fleece because I couldn't resist.

I wish I still had it to take a photo for you, but the crooked North Face-logo embroidery actually said "Noth Farce". Loved it.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Sizing on 11/25/2013 08:05:44 MST Print View

From the testing of BPLers, im pretty sure is womens sizing on the jacket

Its funny as my entire AZN extendes family owns fake NF and other "brand" softshells and fleeces

We were talking about it the around the dinner table ... As long as its something simple like a non membrane softshell, fleece or windshirt, does it really matter as king as you know its a copy?

These items are very simple, and basically commoditized

Now for a rain jacket this might be a different story

;)

zorobabel frankenstein
(zorobabel) - F

Locale: SoCal
size measurements on 11/25/2013 14:27:17 MST Print View

Can one of you that received the jacket please measure a size medium or large and post here?

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Noth Farce on 11/25/2013 14:39:43 MST Print View

"Noth Farce" clothing: OMG - I want one SO badly!!!! If anyone finds one, please share your source with me! That's just pure awesome.

Ian Schumann
(freeradical) - M

Locale: Central TX
Some levity on 11/26/2013 06:57:52 MST Print View

On the lighter side of things, I think we would all be enriched to consider the detailed description of water resistance for this piece, given toward the bottom of the eBay post:

"water and go up because the surface tension can form sweat tumble not permeate inside .reduce water is fabric adsorption, so that water can in the fabric surface stupid oh "through"

image of the said like pouring rain fell on the lotus leaf lotus leaf surface properties due to the rain ,in the page surface formation water ,gently shaking can decline"

I think if western manufacturers would just fire all their product copywriters and translate directly from Chinese, we could all smile a little more everyday.

:-)

Rafi Harzahav
(rhz10) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
sizing on 11/27/2013 14:03:00 MST Print View

Well I just received the XL, and it's way too small. I wear a medium Houdini. Not sure it makes sense to even try the XXL. Has anyone that would wear a medium Houdini had success with the XXL?

Thanks,

rhz

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: "Faux-dini": 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 - Initial Review and Sourcing on 11/27/2013 14:21:20 MST Print View

I bought an xxl. It fits me but is a bit snug. I usually wear a medium or large.

My xxl weighs 2.8 ounces.

Cuff hems are small. I can barely get my hands through them.

I'm happy. Looks like a useable garment to me. Very breathable. Can't imagine how it could shed much in the way of rain.

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
Tight sleeve hems on 11/27/2013 16:22:56 MST Print View

Interesting that you're getting tight cuffs...I am the OP and the one I got (size M, bought a couple of months ago) has "normal" cuffs, proportionate to the overall size -- which, as I said in the original post, was more like a women's "small". The one I got for my husband (XXL, bought at the same time) also has "proportionate" cuffs - but when he finally tried his on, he said that the zipper was on the "wrong" side (i.e., a women's zip) -- so I guess the sizing is WOMEN'S, and I didn't notice, because I'm a woman! :~)

I haven't taken it out in the rain yet, but it sure shed water in my brief shower test!

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Tight sleeve hems on 11/27/2013 16:35:53 MST Print View

"...it sure shed water in my brief shower test!"

You're not supposed to shower with a jacket on! ;)

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Windshirt on 11/27/2013 18:27:10 MST Print View

We don't get much rain here...in AZ...hence the shower test. :-)

cody yochum
(uclacody0908) - F

Locale: Nor Cal
received on 12/02/2013 15:59:33 MST Print View

Just got my xxl. Sleeve length is a little short, and the elastic around waist is a bit tight (I am 5' 11", 150, athletic build, usually a medium). The material feels more breathable than my montbell tachyon. The zippers feel like you must be very delicate but thats like most ultralight gear I guess. I like it and might buy another.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Getting all wet on 12/02/2013 16:03:19 MST Print View

>"You're not supposed to shower with a jacket on!"

Because wearing a raincoat in the shower feels like using a . . . .

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
Makes a Nice Gift! on 12/02/2013 21:35:56 MST Print View

I read the sizing instructions on the website carefully, converted all my measurements to metric, and ordered the size in which I was right in the middle of the specified range (which was Large). Jacket arrived, and...the wife gets a new wind jacket! Fits HER perfectly, she's 5'6" and of athletic build. She's thrilled, and I'm cold. At least I had the foresight to order the color SHE liked, in case this happened.

Edited by Bolster on 12/02/2013 21:43:06 MST.