Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/12/2013 21:23:22 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 11/12/2013 22:16:26 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 01/16/2014 21:37:47 MST.

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: Swiss Alps / Southern Appalachians
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 04:26:08 MST Print View

Fantastic report, Ike! It looks like you caught the fall colors at the perfect time!

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 05:43:57 MST Print View

Ike, A really nice report. I was planning a trip out this fall but got tied up with other things...dam-it. This was a different route. I have done bothe the NPT and NFCT but not up the Cold River. Yeah, the beaver ponds were full of small brookies.
Enjoyed reading the article!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 07:05:33 MST Print View

Absolutely outstanding Ike :-) trips like this make mine look like a walk in a big garden.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
ADK on 11/13/2013 10:12:03 MST Print View

Nice to see another trip report about the ADK mtns. Are you carrying a tarp along with your bivy as well for when it rains? How was the fishing along your trip? I was in the western ADK region near Canada lakes and in the Cold River section of the NPT quite a bit this year as well, nice to see it from another perspective!

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 10:20:53 MST Print View

Thanks for taking us along on the journey Ike!

Really liking the photos from this trip. The fall colors are beautiful and there's some great shots of you hiking/packrafting with taken from interesting perspectives. Looks like you must've been using a low tripod like a gorilla pod or something?

Would be interested to see what your gear list looked like for this trip, including camera equipment.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
Wicked nice on 11/13/2013 10:24:06 MST Print View

I've been up in many of those areas, but hadn't seen anyone with the packraft...and fantastic photos to boot!

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 10:42:46 MST Print View

I'm always hungry after reading your trip reports!

Anthony Huhn
(anthonyjhuhn) - F - MLife

Locale: Mid West
Good Looking Eats on 11/13/2013 10:46:40 MST Print View

Wow, you ate better than I do at home. I have no clue how you foodies do it

Anthony

Stephen Owens
(walknhigh) - MLife

Locale: White Mtns, AZ
Paddle Sticks on 11/13/2013 12:55:34 MST Print View

Try fishing rod ferrule lube/wax on your paddle next time. Any wax will do.

George Earle
(georgelearle) - M
Great report, excellent writing, superb photography on 11/13/2013 14:07:15 MST Print View

Ike; Thanks for the great trip report. You obviously know a lot about outdoor photography. Your composition, exposures and focus are all excellent. And you obviously took the considerable extra time and effort to set up a mini-tripod and check the composition, exposures, etc. before placing yourself in the frame.
As a former magazine writer, photographer and editor I recognize and appreciate your talent. I hope you are using those skills in your career. Believe me, your talent is far above average.

George

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 14:13:07 MST Print View

I don't know how you do it, but this one is better than the last article. Whew!

Cynthia Lovejoy
(cyndylovejoy) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
great report on the ADKs on 11/13/2013 17:21:41 MST Print View

I really enjoyed this report and your beautiful photos. I'm glad you did not encounter any aggressive bears. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Fantastic! on 11/13/2013 17:44:10 MST Print View

Really good read and lovely pictures. I need to do more multi-day trips!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot & Packraft on 11/13/2013 19:50:47 MST Print View

Excellent TR and pictures. Two thumbs up!!

John Joyner
(jjoyner)
Thanks! on 11/13/2013 20:05:00 MST Print View

I just have to echo the poster who said, "Now that is how a trip report is done."

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 20:39:22 MST Print View

Great article showcasing a place I thought was simply flat lakes.(Ack! make that flat lands)

Edited by hknewman on 11/13/2013 21:35:30 MST.

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 20:44:56 MST Print View

Excellent Ike! Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to do a proper trip report. I haven't been up that way since the '70s Real enjoyable read.

That sausage does look delicious too.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 21:26:47 MST Print View

>"flat lakes"

Are there any other kind?

*I too, was impressed by the white-water action shots.