Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft
Display Avatars Sort By:
Maia
(maia) - MLife

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/12/2013 21:23:22 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 11/12/2013 22:16:26 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 01/16/2014 21:37:47 MST.

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 04:26:08 MST Print View

Fantastic report, Ike! It looks like you caught the fall colors at the perfect time!

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 05:43:57 MST Print View

Ike, A really nice report. I was planning a trip out this fall but got tied up with other things...dam-it. This was a different route. I have done bothe the NPT and NFCT but not up the Cold River. Yeah, the beaver ponds were full of small brookies.
Enjoyed reading the article!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 07:05:33 MST Print View

Absolutely outstanding Ike :-) trips like this make mine look like a walk in a big garden.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
ADK on 11/13/2013 10:12:03 MST Print View

Nice to see another trip report about the ADK mtns. Are you carrying a tarp along with your bivy as well for when it rains? How was the fishing along your trip? I was in the western ADK region near Canada lakes and in the Cold River section of the NPT quite a bit this year as well, nice to see it from another perspective!

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 10:20:53 MST Print View

Thanks for taking us along on the journey Ike!

Really liking the photos from this trip. The fall colors are beautiful and there's some great shots of you hiking/packrafting with taken from interesting perspectives. Looks like you must've been using a low tripod like a gorilla pod or something?

Would be interested to see what your gear list looked like for this trip, including camera equipment.

Scott Ireland
(WinterWarlock) - MLife

Locale: Western NY
Wicked nice on 11/13/2013 10:24:06 MST Print View

I've been up in many of those areas, but hadn't seen anyone with the packraft...and fantastic photos to boot!

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 10:42:46 MST Print View

I'm always hungry after reading your trip reports!

Anthony Huhn
(anthonyjhuhn) - F - MLife

Locale: Mid West
Good Looking Eats on 11/13/2013 10:46:40 MST Print View

Wow, you ate better than I do at home. I have no clue how you foodies do it

Anthony

Stephen Owens
(walknhigh) - MLife

Locale: White Mtns, AZ
Paddle Sticks on 11/13/2013 12:55:34 MST Print View

Try fishing rod ferrule lube/wax on your paddle next time. Any wax will do.

George Earle
(georgelearle) - M
Great report, excellent writing, superb photography on 11/13/2013 14:07:15 MST Print View

Ike; Thanks for the great trip report. You obviously know a lot about outdoor photography. Your composition, exposures and focus are all excellent. And you obviously took the considerable extra time and effort to set up a mini-tripod and check the composition, exposures, etc. before placing yourself in the frame.
As a former magazine writer, photographer and editor I recognize and appreciate your talent. I hope you are using those skills in your career. Believe me, your talent is far above average.

George

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 14:13:07 MST Print View

I don't know how you do it, but this one is better than the last article. Whew!

Cynthia Lovejoy
(cyndylovejoy)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
great report on the ADKs on 11/13/2013 17:21:41 MST Print View

I really enjoyed this report and your beautiful photos. I'm glad you did not encounter any aggressive bears. Thanks for sharing!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Fantastic! on 11/13/2013 17:44:10 MST Print View

Really good read and lovely pictures. I need to do more multi-day trips!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot & Packraft on 11/13/2013 19:50:47 MST Print View

Excellent TR and pictures. Two thumbs up!!

John Joyner
(jjoyner)
Thanks! on 11/13/2013 20:05:00 MST Print View

I just have to echo the poster who said, "Now that is how a trip report is done."

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 20:39:22 MST Print View

Great article showcasing a place I thought was simply flat lakes.(Ack! make that flat lands)

Edited by hknewman on 11/13/2013 21:35:30 MST.

Ed Biermann
(longstride) - F
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 20:44:56 MST Print View

Excellent Ike! Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to do a proper trip report. I haven't been up that way since the '70s Real enjoyable read.

That sausage does look delicious too.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 21:26:47 MST Print View

>"flat lakes"

Are there any other kind?

*I too, was impressed by the white-water action shots.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/13/2013 21:34:47 MST Print View

"Take my breath away....(*dun, dun, dun)"

I have a new man crush.

Ike, I loved the hell out of this TR.

Cody Bartz
(codybartz) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
sweet treat on 11/13/2013 21:47:07 MST Print View

I will add to the pile of positive comments. Thank you for this trip report. Way to go on getting out into the wild and exploring and wandering.

karl hafner
(khafner) - MLife

Locale: upstate NY
traversing on 11/14/2013 04:58:53 MST Print View

Great article. Flor those of us who grew up with the adks this was not only well done but a trip down memory lane. I see the dam at cedar lakes must be getting worse as the water level looked low. Keep the stories coming. Thank you

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/14/2013 12:01:16 MST Print View

Thank you for sharing your adventure. Beautiful photos, such eye candy for this desert dweller to see. Great job.

BJ Clark
(bj.clark) - MLife

Locale: Colorado
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/14/2013 12:17:19 MST Print View

Articles like this make me homesick for the place, despite loving the last almost 40 years of tramping all over the Rockies. My wife says I get a faraway look when I get my copy of Adirondack Life, and I had the same look when I read this article. Retirement may bring me back for more muddy footed adventures where I grew up.

Edited by bj.clark on 11/16/2013 10:35:23 MST.

Ken (summmitboy)
(khmcnair) - MLife

Locale: Ottawa, Canada
Kit list? on 11/14/2013 20:05:59 MST Print View

Great report Ike!

I'd be interested in seeing your clothing/equipment list for this trip.

Thanks,
Ken (aka summitboy)

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: Gear List on 11/15/2013 04:42:05 MST Print View

Thank you all for the really nice comments. In actuality, I only have mediocre skill with the camera, but above average intent.

For those that requested it, my gear list for the trip can be seen here

For Nico, I limited myself to a single 24/1.8 zeiss lens attached to my NEX-6. I had brought a 55-200 telephoto lens, but left it in the car at the last minute for a weight savings of 14 oz. I missed having it in the Eckford chain of lakes, when the loons were playing hide and seek with me but I couldn't get a closeup. For whitewater shots and all day paddling, I used a go pro hero 3, which didn't work out as well as I liked. I missed many good shots on the water days, and didn't know it until I got home. The image quality from that camera was poor, as can be seen in the report. In the multipack were 2 spare batteries, a circular polarized lens, lens pen, and opteka remote.

Adam, no tarp for this one. When using a waterproof bivy in the rain, it's all about site selection. I usually look for a spot under a nice spruce with a good canopy and lots of duff.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Great Article and photo's !!! on 11/15/2013 07:29:21 MST Print View

Awesome article and photo's Ike, the NLP is still on my to do list. I bought the guidebook with maps, after we did an Eastern High Peaks Traverse back in 2009. Bought the guidebook at the EMS in Lake Placid, loved this town too......

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
I bought a pack from this man on 11/15/2013 07:52:51 MST Print View

Wish I would have had him sign it

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: re: Gear List on 11/15/2013 09:34:20 MST Print View

Ike,

Great trip report!

Did you get much condensation in your WP bivy?

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/15/2013 10:04:41 MST Print View

Hey Ike, have you thought about participating in the 2014 Bob Marshall Wilderness Open?

Ken (summmitboy)
(khmcnair) - MLife

Locale: Ottawa, Canada
Re: re: Gear List on 11/15/2013 19:35:50 MST Print View

Thanks for the gear list! Do you have a link to a web page for the raft? Thanks, Ken (aka summitboy)

Eric Jahn-Clough
(ejcfree) - F - M

Locale: off grid
Re:Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/16/2013 05:04:24 MST Print View

Ike,

Your reports are always excellent, and this takes it higher. Very nice timing on the leaf change.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Traversing the Adirondacks by Foot and Packraft on 11/16/2013 10:14:35 MST Print View

Really, really good.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Excellent on 11/16/2013 21:14:49 MST Print View

Very enjoyable read. Thanks. It was great to see that element of route uncertainty, which always makes trips so interesting.

And yes, you should come to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open.

Edited by dandydan on 11/16/2013 21:15:23 MST.

Glen Van Peski
(gvanpeski) - F - M

Locale: San Diego
Thanks for Sharing! on 11/17/2013 17:12:17 MST Print View

Wow, what an incredible report, rich with awesome photos. Thanks for going to all the trouble, to give us a real flavor of an area of the world I haven't spent much time hiking in.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
True Appreciation on 11/17/2013 22:23:57 MST Print View

Ike, I truely appreciate your report. The pictures are worth whatever effort it took to get them (at least for me).

Maybe your next article should be "what and how to cook on a extended outing". you seem do have that dialed in pretty good.
Tad