Forum Index » Photography » Got my mountain lion pictures!!! I did it!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Wow on 11/21/2013 13:48:15 MST Print View

If there is enough natural deer food in your area, then there will be some deer. If there are enough deer in your area, then there will be some mountain lions. They especially like it if there is enough underbrush and trees for good hiding. Although mountain lions are capable of swimming, they really don't like to swim much. So, if you have big rivers that block the mountain lions from getting into your area, you might need to venture out farther to find them.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Wow on 11/21/2013 15:05:00 MST Print View

The Puma foundation says there are about fifty in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
I think if anything that is a bit conservative. Just one mountain north of me a camera captures five different animals within a four month period.
Deer are definitively abundant here and the lion population has steadily been increasing and coming closer to inhabited areas.....including one that snatched a chihuahua from an "upstairs" deck a couple miles from here.
While I am glad to know they are here, I also know that the more frequent attacks on live stock will not end well for some of these cats. One more reason, really, for me not to bait them.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Bobcat and lion on 11/21/2013 17:41:35 MST Print View

The mountain lion came back but the video I got in the rain wasn't very good. I took my nicer camera in because of the rain and left my cheaper one out, oh well.
My other camera got some bobcat pictures that came out ok.

Bob

Bob

Bob

Bob

The little video is here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/katpierini/

Edited by Kat_P on 11/21/2013 18:00:26 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bobcat and lion on 11/21/2013 17:50:18 MST Print View

It would be so cool to have a live camera link.

Heheh-- it would be fun to have a speaker and a remote mic.... BOO! {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{cat hitting sound barrier}. I do that to neighborhood cats stalking birds. I've got a couple to do full back flips. I'm so bad....

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Bobcat and lion on 11/21/2013 18:03:34 MST Print View

Excellent.

I have a Bushnell as well, but I don't have as much ready access to animal trails.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 15:39:45 MST Print View

I am placing the camera up the trail a little further, following tracks on the path. I am still not sure which way she ( I think) comes down, but this is one of her paths up the mountain.
I will upload a little frontal video on Flickr as well.

Deleted for the time being. Sorry but People stealing my pics got to me. Will try to watermark.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 12:46:57 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 15:46:25 MST Print View

Excellent.

Well, the Kat and the cat are headed in the right direction.

Next, get some natural debris like a dead tree branch and put it along that path to "funnel" the cat in the direction that you want, maybe toward the camera. You don't want to block the path, because then it will go around outside of the camera frame.

Next, we want to see the cat in the hat.

--B.G.--

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 16:21:41 MST Print View

I think I found what you are talking about. The trail makes a sharp turn, but the tracks go right through a small funnel down the hill at the turn. I placed my other camera right where I think it walks from there. There is a big root sticking out and I strapped the camera right there.
This is too much fun.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 16:59:26 MST Print View

Kat, keep us posted with your results.

I have a Bushnell, but I don't live close enough to the woods to use it daily.

A friend wanted me to use it to get images of a wood rat, but they aren't much fun until you see them climbing.

--B.G.--

Hiking Malto
(gg-man) - F
Re: Re: Re: Face shots, finally :) on 11/23/2013 17:52:31 MST Print View

Nice kitty. Keep the pictures coming!

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/24/2013 13:28:09 MST Print View

Busy night around here. I am not positive, but this lion looks bigger to me than what looks to be the female from yesterday. Also reading up on these cats, the males leave scrapes and this one definitively made a pile of cones and sticks and left a very large scat, just off sight of the first camera..
Until now this looked the trail up, but this guy ( ?) came down it and then went to my furthest camera as well.
I am only posting a few, but this was the best day yet. Within a couple of hours there were deer :(, a skunk, the older bobcat and this mountain lion.

Deleted for the time being. Sorry but People stealing my pics got to me. Will try to watermark.

Edited by Kat_P on 02/04/2014 12:47:59 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 10:11:01 MST Print View

Wow those are some great pictures! You are really fortunate to have this kind of wildlife in your backyard but I must admit that it'd give me the heebie-jeebies knowing that big buy is lurking in the immediate area.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 11:57:16 MST Print View

Amazing!

But now I'm a bit hesitant to bring my kids to your house...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 16:42:47 MST Print View

"Also reading up on these cats, the males leave scrapes and this one definitively made a pile of cones and sticks and left a very large scat, just off sight of the first camera.."

Excellent pictures! I thought the bobcat was a cheetah at first, with the long legs and short muzzle, but the short tail gave it away, not to mention you're not in Africa. Just a first impression.

I read somewhere that mountain lions bury their scat. Did this one make any attempt to cover up?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 16:54:06 MST Print View

@Ian.
I am definitely circumspect and a little afraid as well. I now wear a hat with big sewed on eyes in the back. I heard villagers in India wear masks on the back of their heads and it has cut down on attacks from Bengali Tigers, because cats like to attack from behind and big eyes are a deterrent.

@Casey.
Well, we would just stick close by....I have little ones that visit and used to let them hike a few yards ahead of me on the trail. Not anymore; I carry them now.

@Tom
This cat made several scrapes on the trail and left the scat right on top. I cannot tell you how strong it smells.....pretty amazing. In my series of pictures on Flickr you can see the last one when only the tail shows and it's all curled up while "depositing the scat". It was just beyond the range of the camera. My cats bury theirs, but from what I read when big male cats do this they are leaving a clear message; either just marking their territory or leaving it for a female. I repositioned the camera.....we'll see.

Edited. Tom, I did not upload all the pictures, but after the last one at 7:16:53 there were three more just showing the tail and giving a hint of what was happening there.

Edited by Kat_P on 11/25/2013 16:57:51 MST.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 17:45:59 MST Print View

"This cat made several scrapes on the trail and left the scat right on top. I cannot tell you how strong it smells.....pretty amazing. In my series of pictures on Flickr you can see the last one when only the tail shows and it's all curled up while "depositing the scat". It was just beyond the range of the camera. My cats bury theirs, but from what I read when big male cats do this they are leaving a clear message; either just marking their territory or leaving it for a female. I repositioned the camera.....we'll see."

I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.

"Edited. Tom, I did not upload all the pictures, but after the last one at 7:16:53 there were three more just showing the tail and giving a hint of what was happening there."

Deleted. Apologies for attempted humor in a serious thread. :(

Edited by ouzel on 11/26/2013 15:24:10 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 18:33:32 MST Print View

Hey Kat, are you worried at all about your house kitties with these big kitties roaming around?
Awesome pictures, hopefully you can get one of a mountain lion during the day.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 19:24:27 MST Print View

Justin,
Yes, I am worried. We have two cats. Mama cat is mostly indoors and I close the window at night so she stays in. Our boy cat "Banana" is a hunter and travels far and wide; he did not get fixed until he was bigger and he usually comes home only two or three times a week. Thankfully he has been here this whole last week, which makes me wonder if he knows the big cats are around and he is choosing to stay safe. Honestly I think with him it is only a matter of time, sooner or later something will get him; I may sound calloused, but I am not. I care about this cat a lot and I try to keep him in when I can. I know some people think I should just make him an indoor cat only, but I won't; he is having a great life and I will not force him to live indoors only. I know I might get flamed here...

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/25/2013 19:33:08 MST Print View

"I know I might get flamed here..."

You sure shouldn't. It is the way he was meant to live, free until he dies. The only problem comes when cats live free in urban areas, where they kill inordinate numbers of song birds and dig their cat holes in other people's gardens. I'm glad you didn't fix him until he was older, too. That way he hopefully got to experience that part of a free cat's life as well. Good for you.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Re: A different lion, looks like a male.. on 11/26/2013 00:52:20 MST Print View

Nice pics Kat!

I agree with your attitude re: the house cats--to some extent nature has to run it's course despite human feelings and attachments. Hopefully the house cats are smart enough to stay out of trouble, and hopefully the big Cats are not inclined to eat something that might sort of smell akin to themselves.

Btw, re: India and tigers, i've heard that too, but i've also heard that some of the tigers have caught on to the trick, and it's not a deterrent as they seem to be able to tell the difference after awhile--but this seems to be rare from what i've read.

Oh, i've heard that for Cougars, cinnamon actually acts more like catnip with them, than catnip does with certain other species of cats. Might be interesting to see a reaction to it on camera sometime. I learned this at the Big Cat Rescue down near/in Tampa Bay FL wherein they house many different kinds of big cats. Oddly, some big cats really prefer catnip, and some really prefer cinnamon, and i seem to remember that cougars tend to prefer the cinnamon overall.